Seat Back Position Adjustment Cam

I looked through the archives and seen where some fairly nice seat back position adjustment cams have been made in the past. I’d like to develop a set of CAD drawings to allow a set to be made up. My seat cams are still somewhat “functional” and I’d prefer not to pull the seats until I have some cams ready for replacement.

I’d be willing to donate my my time to generate a set of CAD drawings that can be freely posted for use by the folks of MS if anyone has an older seat back adjustment Cam they can send to allow measurements to be taken. The adjustment cam used for measurement doesn’t need to be in pristine condition... but should’nt be completely chewed up either. I’ll be glad to speak with anyone that has an interest.

15 minutes ago, carusoam said:

David aka Sabremech built cams that he had for sale...

http://www.gdsaero.com/vintage-airworks/

I don't see them on the website... but it would be a challenge to build Them economically... compared to buying them... there are two for each seat...

Only you will know.

Best regards,

-a-

I seen where he made some very nice seat adjustment cams in the past. The end result was impressive.

I’ll likely make my own when time comes and I thought others might be able to benefit from it as well.

• Like 2

I planned to develop a set of CAD drawings to freely share the files so they can be used by local hangar elves. I'll need to find some that can be measured first though.

However, I suppose it's possible to have a few additional cam sets machined whenever I have mine done.

The cam sets Sabremech made in the past were nice if your looking to get some shipped to you ready to go. They were a little pricey in my opinion... but looked to be very well thought out.

Edited by David_H
Grammar

Just a note of caution-

Making parts for aircraft (even if it is "only" the seat, the seat is still an approved part for the airplane) and selling them without a PMA approval can raise the FAA eyebrows.

If you want to make them for you own use under "Owner Produced Part" then you might be able to do it just for your airplane. It still has to meet the requirements for OPP parts and signed off by you in the log books. 

It would fall under the umbrella of owner produced part. If a person had access to the drawings, they could have a set made locally and install them.

It's not pleasant (or safe) when the cam "loses" it's one good position and reclines... not looking to make a profit.

15 hours ago, David_H said:

I planned to develop a set of CAD drawings to freely share the files so they can be used by local hangar elves. I'll need to find some that can be measured first though.

However, I suppose it's possible to have a few additional cam sets machined whenever I have mine done.

The cam sets Sabremech made in the past were nice if your looking to get some shipped to you ready to go. They were a little pricey in my opinion... but looked to be very well thought out.

I think you’re going to find that they really aren’t that pricey. I suspect you’ll find that out if you do make your own sets. 

David

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sabremech said:

I think you’re going to find that they really aren’t that pricey. I suspect you’ll find that out if you do make your own sets. 

David

David do you have any of the cams left to sell?

8 hours ago, Sabremech said:

David

You could make the drawings you have available and save me the trouble. That said, I also understand if you prefer not to.