O2 Capillary Line - 231

JRam

Scuba tanks when run out have the tendency to get water in... where it doesn’t belong...

Airplane O2 tanks would have the opportunity to get air (mostly nitrogen) leaked in...

It would be a problem for somebody expecting 100% O2, and getting 95%O2 instead...

The flow rate needed would be off by a small amount.  Checking with a saturated O2 sensor on your finger tip would be sensible...

Sending it out to be cleaned...?  

Could be a dust/dirt concern... if the system was opened up.  But the chance of dust moving from the cockpit to the tank is pretty near zero...

Having the O2 tank filled at the welding shop probably doesn’t get this concern...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Scuba tanks when run out have the tendency to get water in... where it doesn’t belong...
Airplane O2 tanks would have the opportunity to get air (mostly nitrogen) leaked in...
It would be a problem for somebody expecting 100% O2, and getting 95%O2 instead...
The flow rate needed would be off by a small amount.  Checking with a saturated O2 sensor on your finger tip would be sensible...
Sending it out to be cleaned...?  
Could be a dust/dirt concern... if the system was opened up.  But the chance of dust moving from the cockpit to the tank is pretty near zero...
Having the O2 tank filled at the welding shop probably doesn’t get this concern...
Best regards,
-a-
His concern was that contaminants in the bottle would cause the bottle to explode and he wasnt willing to fill it unless I sent it to be cleaned. It sounded pretty dramatic.

In other news, I asked them to simply close the tank from the cockpit so I could turn it on when needed. They found out there was just missing an O-ring at that point and there isnt a leak any longer.

I'm confused on whether to be happy it's fixed or whether to be angry that I would have had to pay half an AMU for this line if I didnt tell them to button it up and let me move on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

O2 in the presence of grease or oil is known for auto-ignition...

So Having a leak can be kind of dangerous depending on where the leak is collecting....

So you found an O-ring that needed replacement...?  Not any hardware needing replacement... just a consumable...

+1 happy to have your plane, not there any longer.... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

When you purchase a new tank (15 year replacement)it comes from factory empty with a simple plastic seal that is not air tight.It is certified to be in “clean”condition but contains ambient air .The regulator is than tested or overhauled and the whole assembly is shipped back to you (guess what?)....empty.