avionics upgrade advice

larrynimmo

my 1981 M20J has a failing HSI & AI which is parts of the Century 41 AP system....I would like to change out these gauges with something like the Aspen...I would like to have HSI accuracy, and

have the ability to fly approaches "as if on rails"....  Please only those who have working systems should chine in on this....

yes, I am sorry....I am looking for a proven solution to replace my HSI & AI and have something that can itegrate with my Century 41 autopilot to allow for "as if on rails" performance of able to accept inputs from my gtn-650 and fully follow approaches down to DA....

does anyone have experience with a system that will give me this...

I do not have the Century 41 but do have the Aspen PFD. We do know that the Century 41 is compatible with the Aspen PFD. If you search Century 41 on this site there are several threads talking about it. The Aspen is a really nice package when paired with a good autopilot.

yes, I am sorry....I am looking for a proven solution to replace my HSI & AI and have something that can itegrate with my Century 41 autopilot to allow for "as if on rails" performance of able to accept inputs from my gtn-650 and fully follow approaches down to DA....

The “rails” part is going to depend on your Century not the Aspen or other unit connected to it. I fly periodically with a J owner who has a Century AP and a Garmin G5. His Century AI indicator which is the attitude reference behind the Century has been problematic for him. As has his autotrim.

Hopefully you will find some owners who have the combo you are looking for. If not here, check with BeechTalk or the Piper/Cessna forums where you may find other Century/Aspen combos.

I fly behind an Aspen with an STEC 60-2. It flies on rails most of the time and the only challenging part is in moderate turbulence. And when it gets that bad, I’m hand flying anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, larrynimmo said:

I have the Aspen with a King autopilot and it works well. If you do the Aspen, get rid of the Century Attitude indicator and go with the Aspen EA-100

https://aspenavionics.com/news/aspens-ea100-digital-autopilot-interface-approved-to-replace-century-attitu

https://aspenavionics.com/customer-gallery/details/10261

Chris second the nasty turbulence challenge with the stec, I wonder if the new autopilots such as the GFC 500/600/700 and the stec 3100 responds better in turbulence?

You would think more modern digital autopilots driven by electronic AHRSs would be better. I think part of the challenge with the STEC is that it is roll based. I have been keeping in touch with a couple of owners who have the 3100 installed in Cessnas. What they are saying is encouraging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Calculations per second are important to process control... (process of flying)

ancient AP controllers are no match to modern calculators...

Three parts of the system need to be considered...

1) Sensors... using an Aspen will work...adding gpss will be helpful...

2) Computer... Staying with the old AP is going to be limiting...

3) Servo... response time is going to be limiting....

Expecting to swap out one part of the system to get flying on rails out of the other two parts of the system.... might be too high of an expectation.... especially in bumpy weather...

But, since you only asked for qualified responses... just ignore my input on why it is going to be a challenge.... it is quite possible that your existing stuff has the hp and rpm, just needs the instrumentation... or you only fly in smooth air...

PP thoughts only, not an instrumentation guy...

Best regards,

-a-

I have an EFD 1000 and I like it. It has GPSS built in which is nice. Aspen takes care of their past customers and they try to play nice with all the other avionics vendors so you don't find yourself painted into a corner. I find their technical support folks very knowledgeable and helpful and easily reachable by phone.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, larrynimmo said:

I did order the EFD1000 PRO  , EA100, and ACU for my plane...ill let you all know how it works out.

its expensive, but to some degree I don't care as long as it works and it is reliable....

I've got all that in mine and I love it!

1 hour ago, larrynimmo said:

I did order the EFD1000 PRO  , EA100, and ACU for my plane...ill let you all know how it works out.

its expensive, but to some degree I don't care as long as it works and it is reliable....

Do you have a single or double que FD?  It you have the double (I do with my C41). The computer needs to go back to century and get converted to single.

Please keep us posted how this turns out.  As I’m probably going a similar route.

Cheers,

Dan

9 hours ago, Danb said:

Chris second the nasty turbulence challenge with the stec, I wonder if the new autopilots such as the GFC 500/600/700 and the stec 3100 responds better in turbulence?

I think all attitude-source AP's are generally going to respond better in turbulence than rate-based AP's.  The KFC150 I had in my 231 was really good in turbulence, and was comfortable to fly behind.  My Cherokee 180 with the rate-based Century 1 was a mess in turbulence.  It kept the shiny side up, but wasn't responsive and comfortable enough.  

I should have a pirep for the GFC500 next month, I'm willing to bet that the digital control and new servos will be pretty good.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

I was going to say maybe wait a few months till Oshkosh to see what happens. Buy I saw you mentioned that your AI/HSI is failing. I predict Garmin will roll out a certified G3X touch which would be sweet! I was set to do the txi but decided to wait a little longer. Lots of luck with your decision. 

Edited by m20kmooney

2 minutes ago, m20kmooney said:

I was going to say maybe wait a few months till Oshkosh to see what happens. Buy I saw you mentioned that your AI/HSI is failing. I predict Garmin will roll out a certified G3X touch which would be sweet! I was set to do a txi but decided to wait a little more.  

I thought for sure garmin was going to certify a G3X touch version... but after they released the 500txi, and the G5...now I’m not so sure- mainly just because they may view the release of a G3X-ish type unit as taking more sales away from potential 500txi or G5 buyers.  But, we’ll see!

• Like 1

I have an Aspen PFD, GNS-430, and S-TEC 30. The equipment is more experienced than the pilot, but I’m happy with the setup. I flew a VOR-DME approach with an arc the other day, and in GPSS mode, the system tracked the arc and led the 90-degree turn inbound off the arc nicely. The display can be a little busy for the size, but it has really grown on me as I have gotten increased command of it.

987AEDAD-1A18-4F56-AE45-4B0D9D6D9461.jpeg

1205C88F-9FA2-46EF-95D0-DAC2C1DF22C2.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brent said:

I have an Aspen PFD, GNS-430, and S-TEC 30. The equipment is more experienced than the pilot, but I’m happy with the setup. I flew a VOR-DME approach with an arc the other day, and in GPSS mode, the system tracked the arc and led the 90-degree turn inbound off the arc nicely. The display can be a little busy for the size, but it has really grown on me as I have gotten increased command of it.

987AEDAD-1A18-4F56-AE45-4B0D9D6D9461.jpeg

1205C88F-9FA2-46EF-95D0-DAC2C1DF22C2.jpeg

You mentioned the display being cluttered.  When fling an approach, i like to switch from the HSI 360 degree Mode to the arc (120 degree) mode and I change the items displayed to eliminate data I do not want to see.  Have you experimented with these options?

On 2/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, Danb said:

The 700 is phenomenal in TB. Especially with the yaw damper on.

I didn't particularly care for the Aspen, if you can fit it in the budget I'd prefer the Garmin setup

Edited by peevee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alextstone said:

You mentioned the display being cluttered.  When fling an approach, i like to switch from the HSI 360 degree Mode to the arc (120 degree) mode and I change the items displayed to eliminate data I do not want to see.  Have you experimented with these options?

Is this a good idea really? Not a fan of button pushing to configure display during an approach in IMC. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 7:07 PM, larrynimmo said:

You run into so many frustrations keeping your plane going.  IMO, it's worth paying more for reliability.  How many of us have wasted time chasing our tails on something in our planes?

• Like 2

987AEDAD-1A18-4F56-AE45-4B0D9D6D9461.thumb.jpeg.fc34a9ffad8e0c47ba4a4d2271fbffe4.jpeg
1205C88F-9FA2-46EF-95D0-DAC2C1DF22C2.thumb.jpeg.327a7012f25550260511efb67663e132.jpeg

You need to add the MFD.

I also noticed you have everything turned on. The little bar on the lower left shows the level of “declutter” that is on. You can play with turning things off it as another suggested, run in arc mode.

115c29b0b3de27b958606b94d6e8979e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2