20C

Hambo

The guy who (incorrectly) did my avionics had an apprentice.  I thought it was a super good deal.  The apprentice made money, I think eh was getting $10 an hour or something like that, enough to live on.  But three years later he's got the experience to go take the test to be an A&P.  Pretty cheap education to get into a good career.

1 minute ago, Sabremech said:

Hi Paul,

I’m looking to help our youth become A&P’s. There’s plenty of ways and resources to become a pilot but not nearly enough to become an A&P. More than 60% of A&P schools have shut down. The real crisis is not a pilot shortage but the mechanic shortage. Everyone will start to feel that soon if not already feeling it. 

We’ve reached out to the local schools here to try and get the youth involved but for me personally, only in regards to aviation maintenance. 

I have my replacement in A&P school right now and we also found a place for him to intern while going to school. My goal is to try to get more people interested in maintenance.

David

That's awesome! While I don't know anything about wrenching on airplanes, I should expand my circle to include those kids interested in working on airplanes. 

I'll have to talk with JD and Laura at SWTA about introducing kids to the wrenching side of things when we've got them out flying.

I did meet a female student pilot recently who mentioned she had grown up with a dad (since passed) who had worked on airplanes. And she was interested in that side as well. She was pretty excited about the prospect to meet Laura at SWTA. She'd never met any female A&P's.

Good stuff and thanks for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

Hi Paul,

I’m looking to help our youth become A&P’s. There’s plenty of ways and resources to become a pilot but not nearly enough to become an A&P. More than 60% of A&P schools have shut down. The real crisis is not a pilot shortage but the mechanic shortage. Everyone will start to feel that soon if not already feeling it. 

We’ve reached out to the local schools here to try and get the youth involved but for me personally, only in regards to aviation maintenance. 

I have my replacement in A&P school right now and we also found a place for him to intern while going to school. My goal is to try to get more people interested in maintenance.

David

The community college A&P programs are the way to go- the private programs are ridiculously over priced... not sure about the east coast  but the west coast has a few of them.