CFI rate per hour

M016576

On 2/2/2019 at 10:05 PM, Vance Harral said:

I bill $45/hour, but I don't always bill "handshake to handshake".  In particular, on the very rare occasion a real-life diversion is prudent for safety, I never bill for the extra time.  I'm interested in making diversions for safety as easy and painless as possible for the student.

I bill $100 flat for a BFR (1 hour ground review of part 91 plus "about" 1 hour of flight).  But I make it clear up front I'm not promising to sign off on the review for that price.  Additional training may be necessary, billed at standard rate.

I'm a rotorcraft CFI, but not an Airplane CFI.  I typically charge $50 per hour based on Hobbs.   Lessons often include 15 minutes where we  brief the lesson.  I don't charge for this.  For established students, longer ground sessions are $35 per hour.   I charge $100 for a BFR, provided it doesn't go over 3 hours.  After 3 hours, it $50 per hour.

And I really need to find some time to get my airplane CFI and CFII. 

I’m of the opinion that a FR/BFR can be a lot of different things depending on the needs of the pilot.  Should not be hours driven per se.  Should be an opportunity to work on areas that you don’t work on often or the instructor notes are areas that need improvement.  It seems kind of a jumping off point.  Similar to primary training much of what a good instructor debriefs with you is an opportunity to work and improve in those areas independently long after the lesson is done.  That’s my adult learning framework / approach to the BFR. 

I did my last BFR with @midlifeflyer  I learned new things and walked away knowing in which areas I wanted to improve in my flying.  Time well spent.  

On 2/3/2019 at 7:57 AM, Bob_Belville said:

MAPA Foundation PPP. 2 days of ground school plus at least  4 hours flight time with some of the most experienced Mooney specific CFIIs assembled. Night currency as well as FR and IPC. The flying is customized to what you'd like to work on. Several of the "students" were retired military/ retired major airline captains who attend a clinic every year. One commented that he had received regular training in his professional flying life and even though he might have 10,000 or more hours he needs to continue that best practices routine. http://www.mooneypilots.com/services.htm

This sounds like an awesome experience.  Could be an annual "work" meeting I need to attend.  October 4 - 6 in Ogden Utah  , I'm putting it on my calendar.  

Edited by Dan208
  • Like 2