Portable O2 Hydrostatic test due

Vno

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting a Hydro test done on a portable O2 bottle that is due.

Precise Flight Aluminum bottle. If it matters I am located in the Northeast US and would prefer local to shipping.

Brian

I get mine done at a Fire Equipment Distribution company - If there is something similar in your area - worth a call - Dramatically less expensive than thru an A&P. 

I’ll second the fire extinguisher guys. Went to Keene who is a big gas supplier around me and they said they use a local fire extinguisher supply company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The tank test is measuring elasticity of the materials...

Inflate it, see how much it expands... and how evenly it expands...

Most materials lose flexibility over many cycles and years...  why and how depends on the materials of construction...

Steel seems to last the longest, aluminum a bit less, Super light composite materials a world of their own...

In some cases... LBs... the built in tank is resident in the same compartment with lead Charlie weights...

Depending on how many CWs are back there, a less high tech tank might be a better solution... depending on the owner...

Pp thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, Vno said:

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting a Hydro test done on a portable O2 bottle that is due.

Precise Flight Aluminum bottle. If it matters I am located in the Northeast US and would prefer local to shipping.

Brian

My local welding shop charges $25 for hydro testing, and refills a D size cylinder for about $12.  The only downside is that every guy who works there admires the shiny oxygen bottle and kind of caresses it while telling me I have such a nice looking cylinder.  It's a little unsettling. :unsure:

Just make sure to remind them it's a CGA-540 valve, and that it's not for medical use.

My local welding shop charges $25 for hydro testing, and refills a D size cylinder for about $12.  The only downside is that every guy who works there admires the shiny oxygen bottle and kind of caresses it while telling me I have such a nice looking cylinder.  It's a little unsettling. :unsure:
Just make sure to remind them it's a CGA-540 valve, and that it's not for medical use.

I had a nice Aerox tank that was stripped of all its labels and the gas supplier put their stuff on it. Since then have move onto a 3 tank supply system that 4 of us are participating it. Much more convenient having our own access.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

26 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I had a nice Aerox tank that was stripped of all its labels and the gas supplier put their stuff on it. Since then have move onto a 3 tank supply system that 4 of us are participating it. Much more convenient having our own access.

I keep 2 size D cylinders, enough for 2 people for 5-6 hours each.  I just drop them off and it takes them a couple days to send down to their plant and back.  For $24, I'm willing to pay someone else to deal with the headache.  I can see it being worth it with a few people participating, but it's just me.

I've mentioned this before, but you can get oxygen tanks from medical suppliers with those nice straight-valve CGA-540's with integrated pressure gauges, which is pretty much identical to what you get from Aerox, for about $90