Mooney for CFI checkride? (performance take offs/ landings)

FFpilotChris

40 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Thanks Robert.

My misunderstanding... it sounded (to me) like pulling the valve caused the plane to slow...  like an automotive parking brake... :)

Best regards,

-a-

It’s kind of my guess. I just saw him pulling the parking brake in and out and we had much stronger braking each time he pulled it out. I’m assuming he was pumping the tow brakes at the same time He’s a good IA so I was helping his mushey brakes  

-Robert

26 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Yeah, no it isn’t.  

Hahah. You’ll have fun arguing with the insurance co. If my agent hadnt the issue happen he wouldn’t worry. But it sounds like you have far more experience with working with insurance co’s than the agents  

-Robert 

14 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

If it's my airplane, and I'm PIC, it doesn't matter who's hands/feet are on the controls. I'm the pilot, I'm insured. No questions to ask.

Yea they really don’t worry too much about PIC. Insurance is more concerned with who’s flying. They don’t want you letting your friend who doesn’t meet open warranty fly. My policy talks about pilot flying  must meet the requirements  

-Robert 

Edited by RobertGary1

15 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Hahah. You’ll have fun arguing with the insurance co. If my agent hadnt the issue happen he wouldn’t worry. But it sounds like you have far more experience with working with insurance co’s than the agents  

-Robert 

Yea they really don’t worry too much about PIC. Insurance is more concerned with who’s flying. They don’t want you letting your friend who doesn’t meet open warranty fly. My policy talks about pilot flying  must meet the requirements  

-Robert 

You gotta get a better agent.

• Like 2

I’m glad I did the commercial in my Mooney 30+ years ago, it’s seems the standards must have been much easier at that time. I got my instrument rating in my Mooney just after completing my private Then went into the commercial with no break in training. I can’t imagine having to replicate all the required items now. Jeez time flys by.

• Like 1

The only real issue I can see is, some pilots like to practice solo. When I was working on my CFI, I flew exclusively in the right seat. Solo, trips with my non-pilot wife, etc. if you don't have right seat brakes, that would be a challenge. :D

On the insurance issue, I let others argue about what they "think" the policy says. I read the policy.  There is some states case law here and there which creates a rebuttable presumption that the left seat is PIC, just as there are some which say the highest rated pilot is PIC. "Rebuttable" means "until there is evidence to the contrary."

Easiest solution is, of course written insurance approval. Personally (not a legal opinion) I will sometimes do a simple text or email laying out the responsibilities before the flight. 

Edited by midlifeflyer

A lot of DPE’s don’t want any potential risk or liability in assuming control of braking.  You typically don’t have any choice in the DPE assigned for the CFI checkride. The 172 will only make relatively easy flight portion easier. Good luck and congrats on getting your CFI certificate. 

5 minutes ago, HXG said:

You typically don’t have any choice in the DPE assigned for the CFI checkride.

Even this has changed in a number of districts in an effort to focus ASIs on safety issues given manpower and budgetary constraints.  It has also changed back and forth from ASI to DPE selected by FSDO to DPE chosen by pilot (or CFI) I through the years. A friend recently selected the DPE for the CFI ride and, to give historical perspective, my CFI hand-selected mine back in 1999.