Sign in to follow this  
81-201

GoPro Mounting

22 minutes ago, Yetti said:

That's the spirit.  My FR instructor was a former carrier pilot.  They sit around and grade every landing on the carrier.   When you are off CL with him you will get a "Now arriving on 16 Left" in the headset.  First time I flew with him he said CL was his thing.  So you need to taxi on the CL, take off on the CL, Land on the CL.   I know the second rivet on the cowl and the centerline need to line up.  

I've never landed on a carrier. But I was based some years ago on an 1800'X50 runway and had a blast at one 2100X34. The latter had airplanes parked with their noses just off the edges. But as an instructor I am far more interested in good aircraft control, knowledge of basic systems, and good decision-making than in treating one activity as requiring the precision of a golf putt.

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

56 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

But as an instructor I am far more interested in good aircraft control,

I think we could agree that being able to keep the nose wheel on the centerline would be mastery of the good aircraft control goal.  Eh?   Is that not the common statement about getting your IFR.   "It makes you a more precise and better pilot"  It's really not that hard to land on the centerline.  There can be lots of "show me some pilot stuff Mav"  close to the ground, but should be the goal of good pilots.

7 hours ago, Yetti said:

I think we could agree that being able to keep the nose wheel on the centerline would be one of a number of indications of  mastery of the good aircraft control goal.  Eh?   Is that not the common statement about getting your IFR.   "It makes you a more precise and better pilot"  It's really not that hard to land on the centerline.  There can be lots of "show me some pilot stuff Mav"  close to the ground, but should be the goal of good pilots.

As modified, absolutely agree.