GoPro Mounting

81-201

22 minutes ago, Yetti said:

That's the spirit.  My FR instructor was a former carrier pilot.  They sit around and grade every landing on the carrier.   When you are off CL with him you will get a "Now arriving on 16 Left" in the headset.  First time I flew with him he said CL was his thing.  So you need to taxi on the CL, take off on the CL, Land on the CL.   I know the second rivet on the cowl and the centerline need to line up.  

I've never landed on a carrier. But I was based some years ago on an 1800'X50 runway and had a blast at one 2100X34. The latter had airplanes parked with their noses just off the edges. But as an instructor I am far more interested in good aircraft control, knowledge of basic systems, and good decision-making than in treating one activity as requiring the precision of a golf putt.

56 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

But as an instructor I am far more interested in good aircraft control,

I think we could agree that being able to keep the nose wheel on the centerline would be mastery of the good aircraft control goal.  Eh?   Is that not the common statement about getting your IFR.   "It makes you a more precise and better pilot"  It's really not that hard to land on the centerline.  There can be lots of "show me some pilot stuff Mav"  close to the ground, but should be the goal of good pilots.

7 hours ago, Yetti said:

I think we could agree that being able to keep the nose wheel on the centerline would be one of a number of indications of  mastery of the good aircraft control goal.  Eh?   Is that not the common statement about getting your IFR.   "It makes you a more precise and better pilot"  It's really not that hard to land on the centerline.  There can be lots of "show me some pilot stuff Mav"  close to the ground, but should be the goal of good pilots.

As modified, absolutely agree.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 10:05 AM, Marauder said:

Think it depends on what kind of recording you will be doing. I have one GoPro mount on the overhead panel between the seats. That gives a decent full panel shot.

I just ordered a 7 black. Does the 'sticky' mount that comes with it work good enough to mount on the overhead panel? Also, does that mounting show the panel and a good outside shot without outside being washed out because of too much light? 

I just ordered a 7 black. Does the 'sticky' mount that comes with it work good enough to mount on the overhead panel? Also, does that mounting show the panel and a good outside shot without outside being washed out because of too much light? 

The mount works fine on the overhead. You’ll need to invert the image since it will hang upside down (easy to do).  

You have the ability to select narrow or wider shots. The wider the shot the more light. Here is a test video of the medium width setting

https://youtu.be/kLh3vjPpyWQ

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

The mount works fine on the overhead. You’ll need to invert the image since it will hang upside down (easy to do).

You have the ability to select narrow or wider shots. The wider the shot the more light. Here is a test video of the medium width setting

Here is the wide view

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of using the linear setting which doesn't have as much wide angle. But I see with your wide angle there is more straight ahead view out the window than your top video with a medium setting. So it's looking like I should use it on the widest angle. The 7 has 3 views, linear, wide, and superview. So I assume superview is going to give me the more straight ahead view out the window. 

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of using the linear setting which doesn't have as much wide angle. But I see with your wide angle there is more straight ahead view out the window than your top video with a medium setting. So it's looking like I should use it on the widest angle. The 7 has 3 views, linear, wide, and superview. So I assume superview is going to give me the more straight ahead view out the window. 

There are a number of settings in addition to the angle to help with light and other filming artifacts. I would just load up the app and play with them on a flight to see which group of settings give you the look you are looking for.

• Like 1

[mention=9886]Marauder[/mention] Did you see my post above yours? We posted at the same time just now. 

Yeah, it looked like our electrons were crossing on the internet. I posted the wide view along with the medium but it disappeared from my post! That’s why I posted it again. It would take one YouTube video in the reply but when I added the second, it dropped one. Strange Tapatalk behavior.

[mention=9886]Marauder[/mention] Did you see my post above yours? We posted at the same time just now. 

On the GoPro test video, I moved the camera up a bit to show more of an outside view. About halfway into the video.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marauder said:

On the GoPro test video, I moved the camera up a bit to show more of an outside view. About halfway into the video.

Ah...ok. So that was really camera positioning as opposed to the view chosen. Good to know then. I may still try the linear view then with the less wide angle. 

Edited by BrianNC

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

https://youtu.be/kLh3vjPpyWQ

Wow! You text like a milleneal in that second video.  Very impressive.

• Like 1

I would be hesitant to use the sticky mount on the ceiling of the cockpit not because it will fall off, but because the sticky mount will be very difficult to remove and might take some of the ceiling down with it. The sticky mount works GREAT on the outside of the airplane.

In the top of every GoPro package is a flat squarish mount that the GoPro is mounted on in the package. I took that mount and used some existing screws in the ceiling to fix it to the ceiling. This way it comes back down and leaves no trace behind.

To get the best picture of the panel and out the windshield, use a neutral density filter first of all. And then also use the ProTune settings on the camera. You'll have to experiment a bit, but it's possible to get great video from the cockpit.

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I would be hesitant to use the sticky mount on the ceiling of the cockpit not because it will fall off, but because the sticky mount will be very difficult to remove and might take some of the ceiling down with it. The sticky mount works GREAT on the outside of the airplane.

I was actually wondering about this. I'm getting my GoPro this week and doing a thorough IPC next weekend and I wanted to record it, but it's in somebody else's plane. I wanted to mount it upside down from the ceiling from behind to get the panel and out the front view, but was wondering how difficult it is to get off. I can't mount it with screws. Maybe just not press it on too hard? :)

56 minutes ago, BrianNC said:

I was actually wondering about this. I'm getting my GoPro this week and doing a thorough IPC next weekend and I wanted to record it, but it's in somebody else's plane. I wanted to mount it upside down from the ceiling from behind to get the panel and out the front view, but was wondering how difficult it is to get off. I can't mount it with screws. Maybe just not press it on too hard? :)

What is the surface of your ceiling? Is it plastic or is it covered with fabric, leather or vinyl? If it's bare plastic, you should be fine. If it's covered it will likely mar the surface. Removal can be done by cutting through the sticky bit with dental floss, fishing line, or even safety wire. Then warm the left over sticky stuff with a hair dryer or heat gun on low, and roll it off with a finger.

Here's a picture of my mount... holding my SensorCon CO detector when not holding the GoPro.

IMG_2826.thumb.jpg.de81c685fd5f6693b75221051872d5f8.jpg

IMG_2827.thumb.jpg.d361517199eb994952b9d99a3a26d54c.jpg

Here you can see the approximate location. It gives a good view of the panel.

IMG_2535.thumb.jpg.0e6a0624c50c68ee5c3247ae41b5cc40.jpg

• Like 1

What is the surface of your ceiling? Is it plastic or is it covered with fabric, leather or vinyl? If it's bare plastic, you should be fine. If it's covered it will likely mar the surface. Removal can be done by cutting through the sticky bit with dental floss, fishing line, or even safety wire. Then warm the left over sticky stuff with a hair dryer or heat gun on low, and roll it off with a finger.
Here's a picture of my mount... holding my SensorCon CO detector when not holding the GoPro.

Mine was attached to the plastic and I needed to remove it when Bruce Jaeger redid the interior. Didn’t leave a mark but did require as you pointed out, dental floss to separate it.

50 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I assume it's plastic. It's a Warrior. If it's something else I guess I'll just mount it upright on the glare shield. And I'll take some floss with me just in case. :)

• 4 weeks later...

The mount on the vertical stabilizer works great and i never lost a camera. those 3M mounts are very  strong. Actually if you need to take them out, you need a heat gun. The Wifi works. Only issue is that with Wifi on, the camera will only stay on for about  45 minutes before running out of power.  With no signal, each time i  come back i wonder if the camera is still there