Bummed about a Mooney down in Houston -3/31/2019

Yetti

It's all over the news in Houston already. It's an M20K. The Bravo got in just fine.

It is certainly ugly IFR in this part of the country. Very sad news.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N56359

https://abc13.com/1-person-dead-after-small-plane-crash-near-katy/5115253/?fbclid=IwAR3gzWXlaOJoikF_WPOAeD_lwS7PAzEQ7ugFmKlrbIrvm5xHqUjj7t5qlAY

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

It is certainly ugly IFR in this part of the country.

Yet it appears that the flight was under VFR.  Also, according to the FAA the registrations has lapsed.

Flight Aware shows the last bit below 2300' with VVI up to 6000 fpm.

27 minutes ago, kpaul said:

Yet it appears that the flight was under VFR.  Also, according to the FAA the registrations has lapsed.

Flight Aware shows the last bit below 2300' with VVI up to 6000 fpm.

I wonder if it was a ferry flight? El Paso KELP to West Houston. 

The DPS said nose first.   I would have to guess nose/left wing first.  slow stall spin in maneuvering for the approach to KIWS.   I am violating my rule of not starting / commenting on accident threads.  West Houston was where I learned to fly.

One of my coworkers lost his son in an auto accident yesterday.

• Sad 1

One of the articles is saying that it is believed it clipped a power line before crashing. Power was knocked out to much of the neighborhood by the crash site and they were working to restore power. 

https://www.chron.com/houston/article/Airplane-crashed-in-west-Harris-County-13578713.php

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

One of the articles is saying that it is believed it clipped a power line before crashing. Power was knocked out to much of the neighborhood by the crash site and they were working to restore power. 

https://www.chron.com/houston/article/Airplane-crashed-in-west-Harris-County-13578713.php

Nope not clipped.  The plane is destroyed.   I would suggest the powerline was wrong place wrong time and got run into why the plane was stall spinning out of the sky.   Don't get slow.

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Nope not clipped.  The plane is destroyed.   I would suggest the powerline was wrong place wrong time and got run into why the plane was stall spinning out of the sky.   Don't get slow.

Its still just likely to be space aliens since we're just throwing out random guesses.

-Robert

We have a second thread going with links to video... and witnesses that said stall with plane hitting the ground nose first...

The flight track gave odd numbers of + and - 1kfpm At around 4k’ altitude while descending... the data indicates... Something was causing some odd flight characteristics... for a time where a stabilized approach would be good... the data isn’t showing stabilized during the descent...

The man has been identified as 69-year-old Calbert James Waller.

Prayers,

-a-

8 minutes ago, exM20K said:

Every ferry permit I’ve pulled is VMC and required crew only.

-dan

And this flight kinda fits. Only one aboard and while it was IMC in Houston at the time, he was not on an IFR flight, nor flight following and cruising at a VFR altitude. So he might have pulled the ferry permit thinking he'd beat the weather to Houston.

@Yetti you think a stall/spin is more likely here than a loss of control in IMC? The pilot was evidently not IR. The rate of descent shown on FlightAware seemed to me to be just too fast for too long to be a stall/spin and would more likely be an IMC loss of control issue.

I'm just wondering... It's very sad none the less, and always hope to learn something from every one of these tragedies.

17 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

And this flight kinda fits. Only one aboard and while it was IMC in Houston at the time, he was not on an IFR flight, nor flight following and cruising at a VFR altitude. So he might have pulled the ferry permit thinking he'd beat the weather to Houston.

dunno - plane went Houston to California and back in a couple days.  My old 231 is three serial numbers from this one. Sad. 

Nothing on LiveATC.net, but little GA traffic on the frequencies they record.

20 minutes ago, exM20K said:

dunno - plane went Houston to California and back in a couple days.  My old 231 is three serial numbers from this one. Sad. 

Nothing on LiveATC.net, but little GA traffic on the frequencies they record.

Oh, I didn't know about the trip west. A ferry flight then doesn't make any sense. It really is sad.

6 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

@Yetti you think a stall/spin is more likely here than a loss of control in IMC? The pilot was evidently not IR. The rate of descent shown on FlightAware seemed to me to be just too fast for too long to be a stall/spin and would more likely be an IMC loss of control issue.

I'm just wondering... It's very sad none the less, and always hope to learn something from every one of these tragedies.

The 4000 foot seems like a bad data point since the class B shelf is 3000 and 2000 there. It's pretty hard to IMC loss of control a Mooney with a working wing leveler.  The gear looks down(could have swung down on impact).  One of the more destroyed mooneys I've seen.   Contained debris field so a straight auger in.   Lots of twisting.  Pretty far North of traffic pattern. Witnesses said they heard it before it hit so engine running.  Could have been lost looking for the airport.  Weather IMC loss of control or got slow and stall spun, the way it went down has the same result.

image.thumb.png.8184ef05cfcd73739bf858f60d2e8bc5.png

1 minute ago, jaylw314 said:

Looks like no post-crash fire?  Fuel starvation?  Even if people heard the engine running, it's not clear if the engine was sputtering, or if they could have just heard the prop windmilling since it came so close to them.

Maybe you mean Fuel Exhaustion?

On 2/1/2019 at 10:48 PM, exM20K said:

Every ferry permit I’ve pulled is VMC and required crew only.

-dan

my MX ferry permit after grass touched my prop without consent - explicitly stated VMC only and I believe it was DAY TIME VMC.