Seat Belts in a manual gear F model

I guess I'm not alive if i don't keep finding projects to work on.......

I am looking to revise the pilot and copilot seat belts in my F.  As you manual gear guys know, sometimes the seat belt buckle opens when putting the gear down (Gets hit

by rgt thumb while moving the J bar).  I address this problem by shortening the belt with the buckle by about 2".  That fixed the problem most of the time, but I am looking for a 100% fix.  

I want to re-web my belts using the new tear-drop shaped Amsafe belt buckles and connectors used currently on airliners.  These belts open with a 90 degree movement of the 

buckle cover (not 20-30 degrees as in the belts I have).  Thus, the problem will be completely eliminated.  

I have belts with retraction reels from a 1998 Ovation.  They too are Amsafe belts and buckles, but an older style not used any more.  I spoke with a DER who can help

with the certification, but he needs data on the Amsafe buckles and connectors of the ones I am currently using and the new ones that I will be using, so a seat belt shop 

can make the belts and the DER can approve them based on the data showing they are equivalent from an engineering and load factor standpoint.

Anyone here with information that can be helpful in this process.  The new belts can be re-webbed for about $170 each.  I have the hardware.  Just need data and paperwork.  

Also, anyone know of a DER I could consult with?  Any assistance to make the project easier is appreciated.  Yeah, I know I could just turn the buckle over, but that does not produce 

as elegant a result as doing a bunch of extra work.

John Breda

After I ripped my finger open on final for the 3rd time, bleeding profusely while trying to land the plane, I decided that the buckle latch had to go. 

I changed out the pilot side belt with the automotive style belt. 

http://alphaaviation.com/mooney-m20-a-thru-k-front-fixed-strap/

It is 100x better now. 

10 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

But that would ruin one of the best F's in the entire fleet.

Yea, John would have to get in touch with the reaper for sure. Since I would be responsible for the dereliction of his plane, I guess I could offer up to 10K for the ruined mess to help clear my conscious, and keep it around to remind me not to mislead others into the 70's again... :)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SantosDumont said:

After I ripped my finger open on final for the 3rd time, bleeding profusely while trying to land the plane, I decided that the buckle latch had to go. 

I changed out the pilot side belt with the automotive style belt. 

http://alphaaviation.com/mooney-m20-a-thru-k-front-fixed-strap/

It is 100x better now. 

I did the same thing, they are positioned better but still are not 100%.

the original seatbelts for the Jbar buckled in the center, this does not work when you add the shoulder harness. 

Brian

Proof that distraction effects some pretty high level brains... everyone knows...

1) flying the Traffic pattern is a pretty busy cognitive time...

2) The first sign of weakness comes with the inability to report positions in a standard way.

3) The next sign is one one of the gumps checks gets omitted, or something got left off.

4) The third sign... your seatbelt is unlatched, again... (ugh!)

5) At least you know your gear is down, by the red fluid running down your arm... and the green light on the instrument panel... :)