You know it's cold when...

22 minutes ago, steingar said:

Can't imagine living in a place where it doesn't get cold enough to kill the damn  bugs...

Well if Alaska can't kill the mosquitoes not sure what the point of freezing your ass off 9 months out of the year.  And then there is the 6 months of grey.    It's going to be 80 highs earlier in the week then 40s

• Like 1

A few years ago while visiting the wife's family in the Detroit area she asked if I was going to help her brother shovel snow off the driveway and sidewalk, my reply was I didn't remember him helping with the yard work last winter when they came to visit us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, GLJA said:

Or, as we like to say here:
If you're not in support of the oil sand, and the oil and gas industry, please feel free to shut off your gas supply to your home heating system in support. 

cold.JPG

It makes me wonder how those insects that plague you during the summer manage to survive this weather?

Looks almost as bad as yesterday when I took off from LJF (Minnesota). Popped out at 3000 for a smooth ride to Michigan on top all the way. Ground speed was north of 170 knots most of the way. Descent through the clouds at 45 degrees F. Hangar was a swamp with so much humidity in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have simple tests for how cold it is.  Breath in through your nose.  If you feel it freeze, then it is cold.  If not, its probably above 10F.   Does your car start if you left it out over night and didn't plug it in?  If so, its probably above -10F  

• Like 2

I have simple tests for how cold it is.  Breath in through your nose.  If you feel it freeze, then it is cold.  If not, its probably above 10F.   Does your car start if you left it out over night and didn't plug it in?  If so, its probably above -10F  

I never have felt it freeze, yet I know it is below 10°F. Any idea what might be wrong?

713ab9427fb0e6a16fbf2eaeb8d78591.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, chrisk said:

When I moved from GA to Ohio in December [yeah, good timing, right?], I had no trouble starting my car. The third week I was there, morning temps were -10º to -15ºF, with 6-8" of snow cover. Took a few extra miles to start blowing actual heat, but never had cranking issues. The view out the window also convinced me that I was not really in hell, because nothing significant had occurred [that I was aware of] to make it freeze over . . . . Other than that, I could have been convinced!

• Haha 1

The heating thing is for places like Winnipeg, I imagine because the extreme cold makes the oil sludgy.  I never heated a car ever, and they've started in all kinds of insane cold.  That said, I've never been in at the kind of cold  they get in Alberta, and I imagine I might change my tune a bit if I were.  Then again, I might not.

Edited by steingar

6 hours ago, steingar said:

The heating thing is for places like Winnipeg, I imagine because the extreme cold makes the oil sludgy.  I never heated a car ever, and they've started in all kinds of insane cold.  That said, I've never been in at the kind of cold  they get in Alberta, and I imagine I might change my tune a bit if I were.  Then again, I might not.

Last time I tried to start a car in -20C, the engine would not turn over unless the clutch was depressed.     Thick oil and the cold sucking the life out of the battery is a double hit.

9 hours ago, chrisk said:

Last time I tried to start a car in -20C, the engine would not turn over unless the clutch was depressed.     Thick oil and the cold sucking the life out of the battery is a double hit.

I've never owned a car that would turn over without pressing the clutch! It's a safety thing, to keep you from lurching into a person / vehicle / building while starting the engine (and looking dumb whether you hit anything or not). All it takes is a microswitch under the dash by the clutch pedal hinge.

Wow, my '76 Chevy truck had the no clutch / no crank switch. Pretty sure it's on my '04 Ranger too. Since manuals are virtually extinct for new vehicles in this country, it won't be a problem much longer. Until I'm forced to buy an automatic . . . .

Thankfully my Mooney has no tricks other than needing the key turned and pushed (which escapes some people).

20 hours ago, Hank said:

I've never owned a car that would turn over without pressing the clutch! It's a safety thing, to keep you from lurching into a person / vehicle / building while starting the engine (and looking dumb whether you hit anything or not). All it takes is a microswitch under the dash by the clutch pedal hinge.

I have one of those there hybrid firebirds....

When you run it out of gas... the starter motor gets it to the final parking spot...

That safety switch gets in the way of having a hybrid firebird...   :)

best regards,

-a-