WTB TKS Ovation or Bravo

b2002

Hello everyone, I'm a new member in the Philly area.  I've been looking for an airplane for several months, mainly targeting turbonormalized IO 550 Bonanzas.  Now I've discovered that a Mooney may actually be a better fit.  My many years of GA flying a long time ago didn't include any Mooneys so they weren't on my radar initially.

I'd like to buy a clean cross-country all-weather airplane preferably from an individual here on the forum rather than a dealer.  My budget is 150-200k, possibly a little higher for the right machine.  The O2 is first choice though an early O3 or a Bravo might work too.  Factory FIKI is highly preferred vs inadvertent.

Thanks

If you're concerned about FIKI, you should also consider climb performance once you get past 10,000 feet. The Bravo has it, the Ovation not so much. Getting out of ice asap is the first priority and sometimes that means a good rate of climb.

Here's one for sale near you from a Mooneyspacer with a good pedigree :D :

• Like 1

Thanks very much, looks like an outstanding airplane but might be a little too pricey for me.

I agree about the climb performance would be great to get away from ice.  The O2 is a good compromise for better economy and OH cost from what I have read.  But the bravo is still on the short list.

9 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

@Yetti is right. If you find the plane you’re describing for $200k, there’s probably something wrong with it.

Have you considered a TKS 252/Encore? That might fit your mission. 

Well I did say maybe a little more...

I new to Mooneys so open to suggestions.

What would I typically find for 200-220?

5 minutes ago, b2002 said:

Well I did say maybe a little more...

I new to Mooneys so open to suggestions.

What would I typically find for 200-220?

You're in the ballpark for non G1000 FIKI aircraft.

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

If you're concerned about FIKI, you should also consider climb performance once you get past 10,000 feet. The Bravo has it, the Ovation not so much. Getting out of ice asap is the first priority and sometimes that means a good rate of climb.

Here's one for sale near you from a Mooneyspacer with a good pedigree :D :

That plane isn't worth $260K- pedigree not withstanding...

2 hours ago, b2002 said:

Hello everyone, I'm a new member in the Philly area.  I've been looking for an airplane for several months, mainly targeting turbonormalized IO 550 Bonanzas.  Now I've discovered that a Mooney may actually be a better fit.  My many years of GA flying a long time ago didn't include any Mooneys so they weren't on my radar initially.

I'd like to buy a clean cross-country all-weather airplane preferably from an individual here on the forum rather than a dealer.  My budget is 150-200k, possibly a little higher for the right machine.  The O2 is first choice though an early O3 or a Bravo might work too.  Factory FIKI is highly preferred vs inadvertent.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you. The Mooney vs Bonanza comparison has been ongoing for decades, obviously. Thanks for widening your search. Mooney enthusiasts have long preferred their choice for multiple reasons, cabin space not withstanding. Good luck with your search and choice. Please stick around and contribute. 

David

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Not cool Dude

Not a for sale thread.  Not stomping on an add- discussing market values of a given type of plane.  If I'm wrong- then I'm wrong.  Perhaps we're betting that b2002 isn't smart enough to look at controller and see multiple other FIKI aircraft that are better equipped with asking prices significantly less, but oh well.  This is a discussion forum.  Not a for sale forum.  If that plane is really still on the market after 4 months, then we know it's over priced as it hasn't traded.

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Aren't you another one of those shunned people? 

Yep.  That's me.  If I'm wrong about that plane- fantastic.  Someone will buy it @ $260K.  For a FIKI airplane the Bravo is a better option than the A36- $50-100K cheaper too.

Perhaps you would feel better if I just pointed here:

98 FIKI Bravo @ $199: https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/29619005/1998-mooney-m20m-bravo

90 FIKI Bravo @ 199: https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/26966469/1990-mooney-m20m-bravo

No two planes are the same, but... sorry.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smccray said:

For a FIKI airplane the Bravo is a better option than the A36- $50-100K cheaper too.

If you need a 5th or 6th seat, club seating, the large "barn" doors in the back or the increased useful load that a TN550 A-36 provides over an Ovation or Bravo, the Mooney may not be the better option.

It depends . . .

9 minutes ago, smccray said:

Not a for sale thread.  Not stomping on an add- discussing market values of a given type of plane.  If I'm wrong- then I'm wrong.  Perhaps we're betting that b2002 isn't smart enough to look at controller and see multiple other FIKI aircraft that are better equipped with asking prices significantly less, but oh well.  This is a discussion forum.  Not a for sale forum.  If that plane is really still on the market after 4 months, then we know it's over priced as it hasn't traded.

Yep.  That's me.  If I'm wrong about that plane- fantastic.  Someone will buy it @ $260K.  For a FIKI airplane the Bravo is a better option than the A36- $50-100K cheaper too.

Perhaps you would feel better if I just pointed here:

98 FIKI Bravo @ $199: https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/29619005/1998-mooney-m20m-bravo

90 FIKI Bravo @ 199: https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/26966469/1990-mooney-m20m-bravo

No two planes are the same, but... sorry.  

I think a simple welcome to the form to the new member would have sufficed.

• Like 2

I vote Bravo, too, for ice protection. But, if you could find (or look for) a 252 Encore with FIKI, you might find it within that range.  The 252 will give you the turbo (ice protection) and save fuel flying just a little slower than the Bravo with less fuel burn.

The good thing with the 252 Encore, is the the useful load.  A Fiki Bravo might be challenged in the weight department.  My Encore (not FIKI) has near 1100 useful with steam gauges and can do 90% of what the Bravo can do - speed.  The best speed mod is skipping the fuel stop and getting to your destination.  By the time I remove all the old instruments, I can probably gain at least another 50lbs.

The 252 is considered a "mid-body" compared to the O2 and Bravo's "long-body", the longer the "body" the more room you have in the baggage compartment.  The front seats and back seats are the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

If you need a 5th or 6th seat, club seating, the large "barn" doors in the back or the increased useful load that a TN550 A-36 provides over an Ovation or Bravo, the Mooney may not be the better option.

It depends . . .

Yes indeed.  Normal load will be one or two adults with the occasional addition of two teenage girls and some bags.  I can live with reduced fuel and a stop for those times.  Probably need a bathroom break anyway.  Love those barn doors, but would likely do a TN F33 first.

4 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I vote Bravo, too, for ice protection. But, if you could find (or look for) a 252 Encore with FIKI, you might find it within that range.  The 252 will give you the turbo (ice protection) and save fuel flying just a little slower than the Bravo with less fuel burn.

The good thing over the 252 Encore's are the useful load.  A Fiki Bravo might be challenged in the weight department.  My Encore (not FIKI) has near 1100 useful with steam gauges and can do 90% of what the Bravo can do - speed.  The best speed mod is skipping the fuel stop and getting to your destination.  By the time I remove all the old instruments, I can probably gain at least another 50lbs.

The 252 is considered a "mid-body" compared to the O2 and Bravo's "long-body", the longer the "body" the more room you have in the baggage compartment.  The front seats and back seats are the same.

Thank you.  That is very helpful.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Just to add an additional point to keep in mind - the baggage door size is the same across all models and the baggage weight limit in the back is 120 pounds across all models.  All that space in the long bodies and it's still 120 pounds... :(

Brian

3 minutes ago, flight2000 said:

Just to add an additional point to keep in mind - the baggage door size is the same across all models and the baggage weight limit in the back is 120 pounds across all models.  All that space in the long bodies and it's still 120 pounds... :(

Brian

That's probably limited by the construction of the floor, which is probably identical across all models.