Hot starting issues

Davidv

8 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Thanks Mike - yes, I know the POH calls for the slicks but wasn’t sure if you could do it anyway.  I had heard of some people who demanded that Lycoming put them on a new factory reman and eventually Lycoming agreed.  However, fitting them in that tight of a space in the M20M installation is another story...

They are pressurized mags and the Bendix are not STC'd for the Bravo. Space is the least of the issues here.

16 hours ago, Davidv said:

Update on my issue: we removed the left mag and found tiny droplets of water inside.  When we got that out and cleaned the rest we got a spark and were able to takeoff.  However, it looks like I’ll have to overhaul the mags less than 100 hrs after they were installed, too many wearing parts inside...

Wait, they're pressurized mags, right?  Would it be normal/expected to find some moisture inside?

8 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

They are pressurized mags and the Bendix are not STC'd for the Bravo. Space is the least of the issues here.

Thanks Mike, I wasn’t sure if Bendix made pressurized as well but yes, that would certainly be an issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, philiplane said:

Leaving the oil filler door open during a fuel stop will release the heat that otherwise will be boiling the fuel out of the lines, causing your hot start problems. 

In the J models, at least, the oil filler door opens BEHIND the rear baffle, so opening it keeps the electrical and plumbing cooler, but it doesn't help the fuel lines in the hottest area in the fuel spider above the cylinders.  Of course, other motors and models may have a different arrangement.

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

In the J models, at least, the oil filler door opens BEHIND the rear baffle, so opening it keeps the electrical and plumbing cooler, but it doesn't help the fuel lines in the hottest area in the fuel spider above the cylinders.  Of course, other motors and models may have a different arrangement.

This particular hot start question is in the the Mooney Bravo section, and we are talking about a Bravo, which has a six cylinder Lycoming, all of which have dipsticks in the center of the engine case, so they have an oil door over the top center of the engine. It would also apply to an Ovation, which has a six cylinder Continental, with a nearly identical oil door location. Of course, other motors and models may have a different arrangement....

Just now, philiplane said:

This particular hot start question is in the the Mooney Bravo section, and we are talking about a Bravo, which has a six cylinder Lycoming, all of which have dipsticks in the center of the engine case, so they have an oil door over the top center of the engine. It would also apply to an Ovation, which has a six cylinder Continental, with a nearly identical oil door location. Of course, other motors and models may have a different arrangement....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.  I see :D