252 Cowl Flap Motor and Gearbox failed

B2Spirit96

Bad news. Went to fly and noticed the cowl flap circuit breaker popped. Had it checked by my A&P and discovered the cowl flap motor and gearbox had failed (see pics). I searched other older threads and learned others had similar issues and difficulties. I'm talking with Globe Motors now about a rebuild or repair option, but am wondering if someone might have a lead on a serviceable used cowl flap motor and gearbox. Appreciate any insight. Thanks.

IMG_9662.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9664.jpg

IMG_9665.jpg

STOP Before spending upwards of $1000 on a new motor and call George's Electrical Service in Sacramento, CA.  He is a certified FAA electrical motor repair shop and may have all the parts to repair your motor or the bad news as dead. I had taken mine apart also.  He repaired my cowl flap motor for way less.  The rudder trim motor is very similar.   (916) 927- 3386  or 916-922-4277

This looks like a possible lubrication fail. Should we be taking these apart once in a while for a clean and grease?

I also want to point out that the cowl flap linkage needs regular lubrication. I spray mine with tri flow every time the cowl is off. With the manual implementations it is easy to feel when it gets stiff. But with the electric version all you observe is slightly slower movement. Stiff linkage could have over stressed this motor.

9 hours ago, Cayman44 said:

STOP Before spending upwards of $1000 on a new motor and call George's Electrical Service in Sacramento, CA.  He is a certified FAA electrical motor repair shop and may have all the parts to repair your motor or the bad news as dead. I had taken mine apart also.  He repaired my cowl flap motor for way less.  The rudder trim motor is very similar.   (916) 927- 3386  or 916-922-4277

Called them and they were super knowledgeable. Unfortunately, since the gearbox also needs rebuilt, they suggested sending it to Globe. I’m already in touch with them. Still hoping a serviceable motor & gearbox can be found though. Thanks again. 

28 minutes ago, larryb said:

This looks like a possible lubrication fail. Should we be taking these apart once in a while for a clean and grease?

I also want to point out that the cowl flap linkage needs regular lubrication. I spray mine with tri flow every time the cowl is off. With the manual implementations it is easy to feel when it gets stiff. But with the electric version all you observe is slightly slower movement. Stiff linkage could have over stressed this motor.

Thanks. I’ll discuss this with my A&P. Once fixed, I certainly don’t want to repeat. Good info. 

6 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

If you're talking to Globe Motors in Ohio, they're gonna tell you to order a new one from Mooney. 

You want to be talking to Bonnie at Globe Motors Repair facility in Alabama. She'll fix you up with a repair that looks like a new motor.

Bobbie? That’s the contact they gave me. Sent the info & hoping they can help. Sounds promising. Thanks. I’ll let folks know how it goes.

1 hour ago, B2Spirit96 said:

Bobbie? That’s the contact they gave me. Sent the info & hoping they can help. Sounds promising. Thanks. I’ll let folks know how it goes.

Call JD at SWTA. He had them rebuild mine and knows the woman in Alabama who does the repair. He can give you her contact info.

All of my info from 2014 regarding the cowl flap motor on a 1997 M20K Encore is in this post:

Back in 2014 Dan At LASAR had given me the lead of George's Electric up in Sacramento. I sent it to him, but he didn't have and couldn't get the parts. Once Ms. Bobbie Eldridge (BEldridge@globemotors.com) at Globe was willing to accept my motor I had George's send it to Globe in Alabama.

• Like 1

You want to send it to Bobbie at Globe. The “repair” will be a new motor to the current new production Mooney spec with the next size up roller pins which will help longevity. Much cheaper than new from Mooney even though that’s exactly what you’ll be getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kortopates said:

You want to send it to Bobbie at Globe. The “repair” will be a new motor to the current new production Mooney spec with the next size up roller pins which will help longevity. Much cheaper than new from Mooney even though that’s exactly what you’ll be getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already working with them...looking good!

18 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

All of my info from 2014 regarding the cowl flap motor on a 1997 M20K Encore is in this post:

Back in 2014 Dan At LASAR had given me the lead of George's Electric up in Sacramento. I sent it to him, but he didn't have and couldn't get the parts. Once Ms. Bobbie Eldridge (BEldridge@globemotors.com) at Globe was willing to accept my motor I had George's send it to Globe in Alabama.

On track. Been working with them for a few days now...will send them my motor/gearbox today. Thanks for the lead/support. 

• 5 months later...

Motor pulled by Greg and crew at Advanced Aircraft . Motor turned over on test bench but drew too much current.  I left s voicemail for Bobbie this morning.  Hoping to be able to ship it to her tomorrow 

B0791D44-D12B-40CD-BB05-66A7D7F96FA7.jpeg

1F2FFAFF-4465-4DF5-BE1D-FFDDF3862556.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread has been very helpful.  A couple updates, Globe has merged with Allied Motion.  Bobbie's address is bobbie.eldridge@alliedmotion.com, 334-983-3237.  

Their mailing address is still

Globe Motors Inc

3887 Napier Field RD

Dothan, AL 36303

I just shipped my motor to them, I'll post the results.

Tim

My motor failed in my 93 201. The problem was oil contamination. The motor was lined up with the oil filter and got a dose of oil with each filter change. Suggestion: cover the motor before removing the filter in 201.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bobbie Eldridge

Repair Department Administrator

Allied Dothan (Globe Motors, Inc.)

(334) 983-7237

Fax: (334) 983-7312

bobbie.eldridge@alliedmotion.com

Globe turned it in a couple days, about 10 total with shipping.  Installed and working like new.  Cost just under $500 plus shipping, $533 total.  Much better than the $1300 I was looking at from Mooney.   

Cheers!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have cowl actuator from 1986 252 with good motor & gears but main shaft sheared off because mechanic goofed up.  Would be 100% if main shaft can be found otherwise the could replace others with good gearbox.  jeffery.golberg@gmail.com   For sale on ebay starting at $250

• 9 months later...
On 1/29/2019 at 10:08 AM, B2Spirit96 said:

Bad news. Went to fly and noticed the cowl flap circuit breaker popped. Had it checked by my A&P and discovered the cowl flap motor and gearbox had failed (see pics). I searched other older threads and learned others had similar issues and difficulties. I'm talking with Globe Motors now about a rebuild or repair option, but am wondering if someone might have a lead on a serviceable used cowl flap motor and gearbox. Appreciate any insight. Thanks.

IMG_9662.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9664.jpg

IMG_9665.jpg

What did you do to solve your situation???  My Cowl flap motor just pooped the pants.   I believe my motor is fine.  The shaft sheared off and I am desperately looking for a fix.   Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe someone on this site has a failed motor and an intact shaft to connect to the linkage to actuate the cowl flaps.

Broken shaft is probably the most common failure. Send it to Bobby above for repair and you'll get a new unit back. The newer spec is using the next size larger pins to hold it place. I guess you could try asking Bobby for a repair rather than an overhaul but I assume yours must be 30+ years old so I would go with overhauled.