California / West coast Fly In's

Niko182

I thought I'd start a post for some fly ins I know about since @MrRodgers from the West coast group posted asking for fly ins, and great airports

March 23rd - 24th - L54 Agua Caliente

July 13 - 14th - L05 Kern Valley

September TBD - L05 Kern Valley

October 12th - 13th - L52 Oceano

TBD - O22 Columbia

2 of the 4 strips are short fields. Oceano is 2325ft and Agua Caliente is 2500ft.
all of them are overnight camping trips and Septembers kern valley fly in in 2018
had 80 aircraft over the weekend including an L-29. I thought I'd share since these
are some of my favorite airports in California. Kern valley especially.

If anyone has a list of fly ins just post them here. I love to meet other people and hopefully
I can meet a lot of you guys.

• Like 4

I thought I'd start a post for some fly ins I know about since [mention=16446]MrRodgers[/mention] from the West coast group posted asking for fly ins, and great airports

March 23rd - 24th - L54 Agua Caliente

July 13 - 14th - L05 Kern Valley

September TBD - L05 Kern Valley

October 12th - 13th - L52 Oceano

TBD - O22 Columbia

2 of the 4 strips are short fields. Oceano is 2325ft and Agua Caliente is 2500ft.

all of them are overnight camping trips and Septembers kern valley fly in in 2018

had 80 aircraft over the weekend including an L-29. I thought I'd share since these

are some of my favorite airports in California. Kern valley especially.

If anyone has a list of fly ins just post them here. I love to meet other people and hopefully

I can meet a lot of you guys.

Thanks for sharing that information. Looks like there are some nice locations to enjoy. I’ll update the west Coast Mooney Group and others when the plans come together. Hope to get more location ideas from everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Catalina has to be a must at some time this summer.

Catalina is available as an option after the end of march, middle april. As of now, its being rebuilt, but thats good since it was the worst airport i've ever been to, runway condition wise.

Catalina is available as an option after the end of march, middle april. As of now, its being rebuilt, but thats good since it was the worst airport i've ever been to, runway condition wise.

That’s why I think we should break it in as a Mooney fly in:) I wonder how they will decide who gets to land on the new pavement??? I’ve always thought it would be cool for airports to do a raffle.

• Like 4

Columbia (O22) has a large event around Father's Day each year that has had a good Mooney presence with Mooney Ambassadors promoting it to its members.  

https://fathersdayflyin.org/

There is camping there all year long, so it is a good fly-in destination for a Mooney meet-up outside of the their scheduled events. 

• Like 2

2 airports that I’ve always wanted to fly to and are walking distance to great little restaurants are Lee Vining(O24) and Bridgeport(O57). Those that would want to camp can at Lee Vining not sure about Bridgeport but both have motels as an option. Bridgeport also has some thermal hot springs. It’s beautiful flight over Yosemite to get there. 2 hour flight from San Diego in my Eagle so most people would closer.

• Like 1

2 airports that I’ve always wanted to fly to and are walking distance to great little restaurants are Lee Vining(O24) and Bridgeport(O57). Those that would want to camp can at Lee Vining not sure about Bridgeport but both have motels as an option. Bridgeport also has some thermal hot springs. It’s beautiful flight over Yosemite to get there. 2 hour flight from San Diego in my Eagle so most people would closer.

Lee Vining is a great location close to a quaint town and great fishing and camping areas like Lundy Lake. A bit remote though with no services as far as I know but very beautiful area.

13 minutes ago, MrRodgers said:

Lee Vining is a great location close to a quaint town and great fishing and camping areas like Lundy Lake. A bit remote though with no services as far as I know but very beautiful area.

If we are expecting as many as the last fly in non of the above airports can handle that many planes. If there are going to be any presentations there also needs to be facilities to be able to provide them. Are you thinking something comparable to Paso Robles?

• Like 1

If we are expecting as many as the last fly in non of the above airports can handle that many planes. If there are going to be any presentations there also needs to be facilities to be able to provide them. Are you thinking something comparable to Paso Robles?

I agree.
I hope to have some great options in the next week or so. I really appreciate everyone’s participation in this thread.

9 minutes ago, MrRodgers said:

I agree.
I hope to have some great options in the next week or so. I really appreciate everyone’s participation in this thread.

I have never been to Half moon bay or Monterey. I would think both would have the size, facilities and uniqueness similar to Paso Robles.

• Like 1

To be fair nearly all theairports have the ability to carry 50 moonies. Ive seen 70 planes at both oceano, and kernvalley. Half moon bay would be fun too. Personally i like something out of the city and out of the way. But thats my preference. In the end well come up with something everyone likes.

• Like 2

Are we only doing CA locations?

KHND - Henderson, NV (can easily handle a bajillion Mooneys, but my flight will be all of 3 minutes)
KHII - Lake Havasu, AZ
KIGM - Kingman, AZ (can also easily handle a bajillion Mooneys, has airplane graveyard)
KSGU - St. George, UT
KRTS - Reno, NV (home of the Reno Air races)

Other CA locations
KTSP - Tehachapi, CA (has camping and a great BBQ location [Red House BBQ] right across the street)
KMHV - Mojave, CA (plenty of space, no one is ever there on the weekend, plus a 12k ft runway)

• Like 2

Just now, SantosDumont said:

KHND - Henderson, NV (can easily handle a bajillion Mooneys, but my flight will be all of 3 minutes)
KHII - Lake Havasu, AZ
KIGM - Kingman, AZ (can also easily handle a bajillion Mooneys, has airplane graveyard)
KSGU - St. George, UT

Other CA locations
KTSP - Tehachapi, CA (has camping and a great BBQ location [Red House BBQ] right across the street)
KMHV - Mojave, CA (plenty of space, no one is ever there on the weekend, plus a 12k ft runway)

I’m game for anything with in 2 hours of San Diego for a day trip. If it works I’ll camp or stay the night at the right place. I don’t recall any Mooney fly in’s to Sedona, many groups love that destination.

• Like 2

KHII - Lake Havasu, AZ
KSGU - St. George, UT
KRTS - Reno, NV (home of the Reno Air races)

Other CA locations

Not just Ca locations. Open to anywhere with the ability to handle a nice group of Planes, food, events...etc.

I’m game for anything with in 2 hours of San Diego for a day trip. If it works I’ll camp or stay the night at the right place. I don’t recall any Mooney fly in’s to Sedona, many groups love that destination.

Great suggestion

1 hour ago, SantosDumont said:

Closed for 4 months and $27m? That’s crazy. 

My father-in-law and his wife live there and have been in real estate forever there. They said that there is expansive soil under the runway (which should have been known about before it was built) which has caused the damage.

7 hours ago, amillet said:

I’m old enough to have landed at the old “aircraft carrier” airport up on the mesa at St. George.  Seems like the new airport just opened :unsure:

Me too

I have about 3 landings at the new airport but about 20 at the old airport back in the 80s. I used to fly from Phoenix to St George in a Tomahawk.

My icon picture was taken at St George.

• 9 months later...

Sooo....

You fly in California....

Have you seen the KYMF MSC oil change offer...?

Not sure how the topic of Money came up... But, I can assure you... I will not be receiving any payments of any kind... related to things like this...  :)

Shared info regarding Mooney flying is what drives me... nothing commercial compares to that.

Let me know if anyone knows Jared, and can give a Pirep regarding the MSC services.

Best regards,

-a-