Recommendations for Paint shop -Northern / Central California

VetRepp

I have a gear door that I needed to replace that now needs painting, and I thought at the same time I might have a few small scratches and a medium chip touched up.

Any recommendations for Paint shops in Central or Northern California?

Thanks

Roger

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Artcraft has done a few MSer Mooneys. Jolie has been an excellent spokesperson for them....

Patrick from the NJMP group flew out to California to have his plane painted out there...

http://artcraftpaint.com/gallery/

Best regards,

-a-

ArtCraft is known as the best around, but since it makes sense to get two quotes for comparison shopping, you might also look at Corona Air Paint.  They have a nice looking Mooney in their photo gallery, and I know one of the flight schools on the field here goes there for all of their paint work.  Might even be a better bet for a small job in terms of price and availability.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:57 PM, carusoam said:

Artcraft has done a few MSer Mooneys. Jolie has been an excellent spokesperson for them....

Patrick from the NJMP group flew out to California to have his plane painted out there...

http://artcraftpaint.com/gallery/

Best regards,

-a-

I had my J painted at Artcraft about 7 years ago and I am still VERY happy.  Jolie is a great person and the painters there are artists!  An added plus is my paint still looks new after 7 years :).  Definitely give them a chance to quote your job.

• 11 months later...

I just checked out T&P Aero Refinishers in Salinas and was VERY impressed. I was just looking to have some touch-up paint done to fix what an over eager detailer did to my paint and the owner spent almost an hour with me taking me for a tour of the shop, showing me the different things they did and explaining their philosophy on putting the customer first and making things right. They probably had 8 planes and half a dozen guys working while we were there but even during the tour you could see him stop by and look in on things to make sure they were being done right. Family business. His wife runs the office and his son is an A&P.

They’re booked solid until May (even for a touch up!) but I can totally see why. I got on the schedule for the touch-up and the owner gave me his cell phone number and told me to call anytime if I have any questions.  If I ever need my airplane repainted I’m definitely going there!

I tried Artcraft for some touch-up paint when I first got the Mooney. They charged me $1000 to paint about 2 square feet and some “touch up” on a couple of other spots on the plane. They promised me it would be done in time to take a trip, but when I showed up with my family to go on the trip, they said it wasn’t ready. Went back three times but they never really seemed interested in helping me and always were unprepared when I showed up and took longer than they said. In the end I gave up on them, bought my own paint and did my own touch up. Maybe if you’re spending $30k and getting your whole airplane painted they pay more attention to you but based on that experience and the attention to detail and customer service I saw at T&P today it’s a no brainer for me.

As icing on the cake, I had a 30kt tailwind on the way home!

DB7194CE-4555-4AD1-A575-0DE4F05813B9.jpeg

• Like 1

ArtCraft Paint, hands down. Tell them that you were referred by Jolie or Mooney Girls.  Teresa is the owner and daughter Esmeralda is a manager.  Here's what I love about ArtCraft in addition to the great paint job.

1) They have painted nearly 100 Mooneys since I first met them in 2005.  They understand the intricacies involved.

2) They have a great commitment to philanthropy in General Aviation through support of airport days, airport events and charities

3) They want to get your job right. They have contracts with large corporate customers... Clay Lacy Jets, US Border Patrol etc, but they care about us little guys too.

4) Competitive pricing that includes 3-5 hours of body work. 

5) I love that after nearly 10 years people go ga ga over my paint

6) Two Artcraft Mooneys on cover of Flying Magazine to boot.

DSC_3424-Edit.thumb.jpg.0e43edeac31a5295c545661b757135bf.jpg774480512_JolieSmile-Version2.thumb.jpg.4e3ad96b5f31a21eb9e8be184f0e54a2.jpgIMG_E1818.thumb.JPG.09cb2334a18e06d27ee3098d6f74fefb.JPG

DSC_3371-Edit.jpg

IMG_9845.JPG

• Like 2

If it’s just the gear door. Pull the gear door off an have any worthy auto body shop paint it. 
I’ve met some really talented painters across the county. Most of the paint dealers will have their favorite clients too. 
-Matt

• Like 1