Caravan 2019 - Mid Atlantic Formation Clinic - registration open

Bob_Belville

Please visit the Caravan web site for more information and to register for the only Mooney formation clinic east of the Mississippi scheduled for 2019. Everyone who flies the Mooney Caravan into AirVenture Oshkosh must attend a clinic in the same year.

We expect a large clinic and will do whatever we can to get everyone properly trained, you can help by registering early. 

http://www.mooneycaravan.com/training/mid-atlantic

Bob Belville, clinic coordinator

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kpaul said:

Glad to hear it, see you in June.

Last time I looked Warren was the 4th one already to sign up and pay. Another 6+ have indicated they're coming to an event 5 months away! Maybe it ain't Mooney Summit but I'm pretty sure we're going to have a great weekend.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still in the throes of planning and so on, and at the moment still very much hoping to make it. However, two requests:

a) We're not expecting to arrive in Canada until 17th July at the very earliest, and possibly as late as the 21st (depending on the winds and weather over Greenland at the time), so no way we're getting into a formation clinic before to join the caravan properly. Any chance you can hang onto a space for us on the end of a Mooney line in the Northern 40?

b) At the moment if looks likely we are going to be three on board, which gives us a considerable W&B challenge - would anyone be able to accept a mailed package of some weight & bulk (tie down kit, tents etc) that they could lug to Osh for us (or even purchase for us with a bank transfer payment)? Otherwise we just take a chance on being able to purchase on arrival at some nearly store, but that does seem a bit precarious!

TIA
Ben

56 minutes ago, Awful_Charlie said:

Still in the throes of planning and so on, and at the moment still very much hoping to make it. However, two requests:

a) We're not expecting to arrive in Canada until 17th July at the very earliest, and possibly as late as the 21st (depending on the winds and weather over Greenland at the time), so no way we're getting into a formation clinic before to join the caravan properly. Any chance you can hang onto a space for us on the end of a Mooney line in the Northern 40?

b) At the moment if looks likely we are going to be three on board, which gives us a considerable W&B challenge - would anyone be able to accept a mailed package of some weight & bulk (tie down kit, tents etc) that they could lug to Osh for us (or even purchase for us with a bank transfer payment)? Otherwise we just take a chance on being able to purchase on arrival at some nearly store, but that does seem a bit precarious!

TIA
Ben

Where in Canada Awful?...or otherwise I may well be very close to your enroute and I could offer a ride, a bed, a dinner, a beer, or... whatever you need.  We are just south of Montreal, on the US side by a few miles.

I think I still owe you a ride.

Edited by aviatoreb

3 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Where I Canada Awful?...or otherwise I may well be very close to your enroute and I could offer a ride, a bed, a dinner, a beer, or... whatever you need.

I think I still owe you a ride.

Thanks Erik

*If* we can get to Goose without HF (or I manage to blag transceiver/tuner/antenna kit and install) then that is the preferred entry point. If TC are intransigent and I can't get the kit installed, then entry most likely via Frobisher.

Beer, dinner & beds would be very much appreciated!  We're trying to spend as little time in Greenland as possible (due to expense), and so much is going to depend on the wind for each leg on the day. Worst case is something like this (which we should be able to manage 3 up with up to around a 40kt headwind, else it becomes a no-go/sit & wait) but hoping it will be more like this  - I expect in reality it will be a mixture of both! There are of course many, many more possibilities and we're still working through them!

The awkward bits are Iceland to Greenland and Greenland to Canada, where three blokes in blobby suits with survival equipment doesn't leave as much as I'd like for fuel - if you'd like to meet in Iceland and carry one that would be fantastic! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awful_Charlie said:

TIA
Ben

Ben, to be in the Caravan you'd have to be in Madison on the 19th - the flight to KOSH is the 20th. Have you been Caravan/formation qualified before? If so, you might able to get a last minute check ride under the circumstances. But that call is way over my paygrade. If you can't get into the Caravan it will be difficult to get camping space nearby. Parking is pretty strictly first come and the space held for mass arrivals is restricted to the number of planes in the wing. 

OTOH, we'll love to welcome you to the Mooney tent in the North Forty! You'll have lots of folks interested to hear about your trip. There's a BBQ night and a MS mixer.

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2019 at 6:06 PM, Awful_Charlie said:

Thanks Erik

*If* we can get to Goose without HF (or I manage to blag transceiver/tuner/antenna kit and install) then that is the preferred entry point. If TC are intransigent and I can't get the kit installed, then entry most likely via Frobisher.

Beer, dinner & beds would be very much appreciated!  We're trying to spend as little time in Greenland as possible (due to expense), and so much is going to depend on the wind for each leg on the day. Worst case is something like this (which we should be able to manage 3 up with up to around a 40kt headwind, else it becomes a no-go/sit & wait) but hoping it will be more like this  - I expect in reality it will be a mixture of both! There are of course many, many more possibilities and we're still working through them!

The awkward bits are Iceland to Greenland and Greenland to Canada, where three blokes in blobby suits with survival equipment doesn't leave as much as I'd like for fuel - if you'd like to meet in Iceland and carry one that would be fantastic! :D

Ok - see you in Iceland!  Ummm....

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, particularly Bob, kpaul & Erik

If the wx allows, we hope to arrive at Osh on the Saturday, but all dates are +/- 2 days or so (if it goes out to more than +2 then we probably cancel altogether) None of us have been Caravan qualified before although I am happy with formation down to two wingspans separation. I guess we'll just take pot luck with the parking when we get there and hope we're not a million miles from you all! Naturally, having to route via Scotland should mean we have some special Avgas for pilots on board :D

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2019 at 11:36 PM, Bob_Belville said:

Bumping this thread. We already have 16 pilots (including at least 5 first timers) plus 11 guests signed up for the June 14-16 KHKY clinic. 

We anticipate the largest clinic yet, you can help @kpaul, @Marcopoloand Wild Thang by registering early. 

It's been a while since I bumped this thread. We now have 24 pilots (including at least 7 first timers) plus 14 guests signed up for the June 14-16 KHKY clinic. 

Look for links to registration and hotel here:

And for first timers I'll point out that registration for Caravan (MSN-OSH) and hotel in Madison WI can be done here:

http://www.mooneycaravan.com/registration

(I'll be sending an email to the MAG roster in a few days which will show the info I have so you can advise on any corrections.)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread. The Hickory Clinic is getting close. We now have 27 pilots (including at least 7 first timers) signed up for the June 14-16 KHKY clinic. 

If you've been thinking about participating now would be a good time to register! The order for T-Shirts will need to be sent in soon.

Look for links to registration and hotel here:

And for first timers I'll point out that registration for Caravan (MSN-OSH) and hotel in Madison WI can be done here:

http://www.mooneycaravan.com/registration

10 minutes ago, Danb said:

Bob I’d love to but may not be flying post surgery by then, I’ll see you and Nancy at Airventure hopefully 

Dan old friend, speedy recovery from the surgery(?)!

I'll see you at KOSH but Nancy's wimped out in favor of our grandson, Ben Metzger, whom I will pick up at 6B6. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got here yesterday (OK  - to do some business too). 

See https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFSWR/history/20190611/1330Z/CYRO/KROC to get through CBP.  Then https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFSWR/history/20190611/1545Z/KROC/KEKN for the obligatory rest stop (required by age).  Then hhttps://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFSWR/history/20190611/1845Z/KEKN/KHKY for the long descent into Hickory.