Oil filter conversion

The Donaldson Oil Filter Adapter from Aircraft Spruce is just the adapter. You will need the gaskets, possibly a stud and nut to replace a screw, and new oil crush gaskets

Be Very Careful not to put the base gasket in backwards. It will blow the gasket and dump all your new oil on the ground.

My mechanic made this mistake. With the tight space it’s an easy mistake to make. 

To install you need a standard 7/16” wrench and a 45 degree angled on to tighten the left side.

Or, remove the left meg to get more access.  

I prefered this adapter solution over the remote adapter due to the less parts required and cost.

49F6E693-D7C7-41C0-8F95-B02A17CBE667.png

On 2/4/2019 at 8:33 AM, nosky2high said:

Here is what I did.

I have the remote Airwolf...it came on the plane. I will not do it that way if I ever have a choice... it increases complexity and cost and weight, and when it comes time to replace the fire sleeved hoses, you’re looking at another $400+ at that annual. Granted, it’s easier to pull the filter. But more stuff to clutter the already small engine compartment and more fittings that could leak.

My experience with the remote filter setup has been a negative one. A hangar flyer I am not. While my Mooney isn’t flying right now, I fly and work on other aircraft regularly. My point of view is from a maintenance standpoint, not as a pilot. As an aircraft builder, I tend to be more critical of the benefits of a particular design. I see now that I should not have quoted your post in my own, as it was then perceived as an attack, and that was not my intent...I am sorry for that.

I am glad that your experience was a positive one, and truly wish that mine had been the same. The fact that the engine mounted filter setup is all around simpler, less expensive, and less weight is just a reality...and more flight hours in a Mooney can’t  change that.

As for my opinion- well, I believe that complexity is often the result of improvement in a design, but not in this particular case. Like a Rolex (it’s a poor timekeeper that requires a ridiculous amount of maintenance)- and I’ve got more than 1600 hrs wearing them, so I do know what I’m talking about.

At the end of the day, both you and I have remote filter setups; I don’t like mine, and you like yours. It doesn’t amount to a hill of beans, really.

Owning a plane is kind of a crazy thing to begin with, so I shouldn’t argue which kind of crazy is better than another kind of crazy.

But since I was called out- the unfortunate reality is that the cowling still has to come off to inspect the suction screen at a 50 hr oil change, so where is the real benefit to having the filter on the firewall as opposed to the back of the engine? 

Unless you don’t inspect your suction screen at every 50 hr oil change, and you manage to reach into your access door, R&R the new filter and safety it- then I’d say you have found a real benefit in having a remote filter.

Here’s a picture of mine. I should probably be thankful that I even have an oil filter...:rolleyes:

A4E99775-13DB-4B30-83CB-80244E1E4C20.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

My experience with the remote filter setup has been a negative one. A hangar flyer I am not. While my Mooney isn’t flying right now, I fly and work on other aircraft regularly. My point of view is from a maintenance standpoint, not as a pilot. As an aircraft builder, I tend to be more critical of the benefits of a particular design. I see now that I should not have quoted your post in my own, as it was then perceived as an attack, and that was not my intent...I am sorry for that.

I am glad that your experience was a positive one, and truly wish that mine had been the same. The fact that the engine mounted filter setup is all around simpler, less expensive, and less weight is just a reality...and more flight hours in a Mooney can’t  change that.

As for my opinion- well, I believe that complexity is often the result of improvement in a design, but not in this particular case. Like a Rolex (it’s a poor timekeeper that requires a ridiculous amount of maintenance)- and I’ve got more than 1600 hrs wearing them, so I do know what I’m talking about.

At the end of the day, both you and I have remote filter setups; I don’t like mine, and you like yours. It doesn’t amount to a hill of beans, really.

Owning a plane is kind of a crazy thing to begin with, so I shouldn’t argue which kind of crazy is better than another kind of crazy.

But since I was called out- the unfortunate reality is that the cowling still has to come off to inspect the suction screen at a 50 hr oil change, so where is the real benefit to having the filter on the firewall as opposed to the back of the engine? 

Unless you don’t inspect your suction screen at every 50 hr oil change, and you manage to reach into your access door, R&R the new filter and safety it- then I’d say you have found a real benefit in having a remote filter.

Here’s a picture of mine. I should probably be thankful that I even have an oil filter...:rolleyes:

A4E99775-13DB-4B30-83CB-80244E1E4C20.jpeg

I’m with you on this, I wouldn’t add a remote filter unless there was a really strong case for it.  You end adding a whole bunch of new places to leak oil and clutter an already tight engine compartment.  It’s easier to learn to change to oil with some of the really neat troughs that people here have made.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc