Garmin G5 VS aspen E5

Well all I have is a lowly edm-700 with that I JUST sent off to have USB and fuel flow added to it. That instrument is staying for a while. Now if digital senders would really improve what I have, I’d definitely consider it. 

You should see if the 700 series can run in frequency mode. CiES senders can run in 3 modes. The standard configuration for our Mooneys is resistive mode. Frequency mode is digital. The 700 may be forced to run in analog. Still an improvement over the mechanical factory senders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The cies runs in both modes... 

So if an improvement ever comes along to your JPI....

Or there are some digital fuel level instruments that can be used...

So...  even the analog route, with the Cies gauges would make a really good upgrade over the originals...

Worth doing a value vs. price analysis... especially since you only need twho floats for the M20C!

PP thoughts, not a mechanic...

On 2/16/2019 at 8:45 AM, Supercop0184 said:

Well all I have is a lowly edm-700 with that I JUST sent off to have USB and fuel flow added to it. That instrument is staying for a while. Now if digital senders would really improve what I have, I’d definitely consider it. 

Nothing lowly about the EDM700! I don't see any need for changing fuel senders when you have fuel totalizer functions on the EDM. I trust my 800 and 450 more than any fuel senders.

Edited by m20kmooney
  • Thanks 1

Lucas,

One reason for having good fuel level sensors...

they support the FF and totalizer really well...

Especially when the pilot forgets to hit the reset button on the totalizer...

So they are great for imperfect people.... :)

The other thing they do... report the difference between FF going to the engine and FF leaving the tank.... a fuel leak or air leaking in suddenly becomes measurable.... both need to be fixed....

OK, these are not ordinary, every day concerns...   But if you like hardware for WAAS approaches.... hardware for fuel management can be equally exciting...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Especially when the pilot forgets to hit the reset button on the totalizer...

So they are great for imperfect people.... :)

I will never forget to zero the totalizer just as I will never forget to put my gear down.

Edited by m20kmooney

• 1 year later...

This thread is pretty nice. Just to ensure some doesn't do what I did and didn't double check the data here with the new data available from the manufacturers respective's sites, it's good to note that early 2020 the E5 now comes with HSI included in the standard version. 

That would make the choice nearly automatically go for the E5 rather than the G5 right? Or am I missing other drawbacks here too?

8 hours ago, Sprize said:

This thread is pretty nice. Just to ensure some doesn't do what I did and didn't double check the data here with the new data available from the manufacturers respective's sites, it's good to note that early 2020 the E5 now comes with HSI included in the standard version. 

That would make the choice nearly automatically go for the E5 rather than the G5 right? Or am I missing other drawbacks here too?

Ya... the E5 is a really good value..

The "all Garmin"  strategy works better for Garmin than their customers...   Some Garmin products are state of the art and a good value, others are not.   Typical is the G500AP. Excellent AP, but when you hafta use the G5s with it, the experience is less than ideal.

In a comparison of performance and value, (and particularly  ease of installation) the E5 sure walks away with that one...

N

Edited by Navi
Typo

2 hours ago, Navi said:

Typical is the G500AP. Excellent AP, but when you hafta use the G5s with it, the experience is less than ideal.

So, what do you find less than ideal? 

I am instructing in a customer's 182 which has a pair of G5s and a GFC500 newly installed, mated to a 430W. It is an impressive system, well integrated and I can't find much to fault, and a lot to envy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

So, what do you find less than ideal? 

I am instructing in a customer's 182 which has a pair of G5s and a GFC500 newly installed, mated to a 430W. It is an impressive system, well integrated and I can't find much to fault, and a lot to envy. 

In direct comparison to the E5 ?

- Smaller display than the E5, the G5 displays are smaller than some of the steam gauges

- LCD display on G5  vs TFT (Direct sunlight readable) display on the E5

- G5 needs an extra switch to connect some navigators to autopilots...  G5 contains no  "pass through" facility for vert nav data...

- The magnetometer is a difficult ($$$)  install... In Pipers, it usually has to be mounted in the wingtip.  E5 magnetometer works well almost anywhere..  Some have spent a LOT of $$$ trying to get it to work

- The magnetometer does not work on the backup battery...

- The G5 outputs non - standard data (Garmin proprietary. )

Not at all bad, but  this unit is overdue for a hardware  upgrade...

Not a bad unit at all... but others have moved on and up since..  

IMHO of course :) , but these are common opinions in several forums..

Nav

3 hours ago, Navi said:

The "all Garmin"  strategy works better for Garmin than their customers...   Some Garmin products are state of the art and a god value, others are not.

Please do elaborate. 

8 minutes ago, PTK said:

Please do elaborate. 

The proprietary Garmin data sentence does not integrate well with "other " products... encouraging  pilots to purchase "All Garmin" panels, increasing their sales... Good for Garmin.

Same strategy  requires some Garmin products must be used, restricting some from  using more modern and flexible products by other manufacturers with their Garmin products.

Then of course, if you or your tech needs help, Garmin will assist with the interface to their OWN products. If you have interfaced their Garmin whatever to a non Garmin product, they have never heard of it... :(

MANY have experienced this, including myself...   "Policy" I guess...

FWIW....

Nav

52 minutes ago, Navi said:

Same strategy  requires some Garmin products must be used, restricting some from  using more modern and flexible products by other manufacturers with their Garmin products.

Then of course, if you or your tech needs help, Garmin will assist with the interface to their OWN products. If you have interfaced their Garmin whatever to a non Garmin product, they have never heard of it...

And this is perfectly ok. In fact I prefer it! For the cost of these things I want the manufacturer I select to have full control and responsibility for their OWN products. I don’t want to be in the middle of the blame game if something doesn’t work properly. If this means sticking with the same manufacturer for everything it’s perfectly ok. I prefer it actually. Garmin happens to be the manufacturer who is at at the forefront with lots of options and their products integrate flawlessly. It is not their responsibility to be concerned with other manufacturers’ products and how they interface or not. That is the responsibility of the other manufacturer. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I really do like my E5. I'd encourage anyone to purchase it with the understanding that not having a backup AI is unacceptable, even though the STC says you can ditch it. I had been using a 2nd iPad and a stratus for that but just recently picked up a Dynon D3 pocket panel gizmo to keep permanently in one of my spare round holes. Should be a good solution.

If you want a built in backup AI, that would be the main thing that would give the G5s an edge, imo

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk