Garmin G5 VS aspen E5

5 minutes ago, vorlon1 said:

Not to hijack this thread, but wouldn't it be more proper to compare 2 G5s to the E5?

Not to hijack this thread but,  I’m gonna anyway! lol! No. Because I don’t NEED two G5’s, but since I need ONE G5, I could spend a few more AMUs and get the aspen. Or maybe I could spend the same extra and get two G5’s. Sooner or later I probably WILL need to G5’s, I guess we could go on and on with discussion - which is why I asked? And - no where did I say ONE G5 - I’m asking comparison of available features and brand to each other. Thanks. 

Edited by Supercop0184

Wow, he was giving you legitimate advise and you snapped back.  You ask for advice (PRO and CONs) and are quick to jump on his response in a negative way.  Never in your request you state you only *needed* a single G5. I doubt you will get a lot of help if you criticize their responses. Ask, and take what you can get and decide on your own.

I think what he is saying, was a single G5 does not compare to an E5 directly, physically or by function.  The E5 gives you a digital HSI (obvious) so why not compare it with the Garmin equilivent - two G5s.

My opinion based on the limited info in what you are asking:

G5
-Pros: if you are ever going to need or want a Garmin autopilot (GFC500) you will need one anyway.
-Cons: You don't get an HSI (or AI) to drive another autopilot without getting the second HSI version.

E5
-Pros: technology has been out a while and you can upgrade to the Pro model for IFR flight.  You can also add to it when MAX comes along to be fully redundant by adding another screen.
-Cons: unsure it will work with autopilots without buying more equipment (EA100).  Also physically bigger than a *single* G5 for panel space.

Disclaimer: I don't own either one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Wow, he was giving you legitimate advise and you snapped back.  You ask for advice (PRO and CONs) and are quick to jump on his response in a negative way.  Never in your request you state you only *needed* a single G5. I doubt you will get a lot of help if you criticize their responses. Ask, and take what you can get and decide on your own.

I think what he is saying, was a single G5 does not compare to an E5 directly, physically or by function.  The E5 gives you a digital HSI (obvious) so why not compare it with the Garmin equilivent - two G5s.

My opinion based on the limited info in what you are asking:

G5
-Pros: if you are ever going to need or want a Garmin autopilot (GFC500) you will need one anyway.
-Cons: You don't get an HSI (or AI) to drive another autopilot without getting the second HSI version.

E5
-Pros: technology has been out a while and you can upgrade to the Pro model for IFR flight.  You can also add to it when MAX comes along to be fully redundant by adding another screen.
-Cons: unsure it will work with autopilots without buying more equipment (EA100).  Also physically bigger than a *single* G5 for panel space.

So the G5 works for IFR flight? Or no? I will have to look at the auto pilot compatibility. Good point, I had never thought of that. I have an asked text 30 now, but for see myself upgrading down the road. However, I think I will want the true track.  Good points, thank you.

I do not think a single G5 will work for IFR by itself, precision approaches, without a second CDI: digital or analog.  You will need a CDI and GS for precision approaches - both of which are represented on the second G5 HSI, and if you upgrade the Aspen E5 to the "Pro" version at a later time, you will get the IFR HSI which gives you the tools for IFR precision approaches.

I think True Track are looking to work with Aspen and will have an easier time vs. a G5 - but I have not looked that far down the compatiblity list.

The E5 really is equilivent of a G5 Attitude Indicator and a G5 HSI, but the base level aspen only gives you a digital DG vs the full HSI the Garmin will give you.

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

I do not think a single G5 will work for IFR by itself, precision approaches, without a second CDI: digital or analog.  You will need a CDI and GS for precision approaches - both of which are represented on the second G5 HSI, and if you upgrade the Aspen E5 to the "Pro" version at a later time, you will get the IFR HSI which gives you the tools for IFR precision approaches.

I think True Track are looking to work with Aspen and will have an easier time vs. a G5 - but I have not looked that far down the compatiblity list.

Awesome, definitely food for thought. So let me ask this then, 2 G5’s compared to this one each five. Which set up is better equipped 

2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

And, perhaps he was trying to help, now that I have seen some of your explanations and answers it makes more sense. But without any kind of explanation as to why the comparison should be different, I really had no clue. I’m a newbie here. If I was snappy to my original responded - my apologies. @vorlon1

2 minutes ago, Supercop0184 said:

So let me ask this then, 2 G5’s compared to this one each five. Which set up is better equipped 

I think you are asking, which is better: Garmin 2-G5s vs Aspen E5.

I feel like I cannot answer that - not having owned either one.  What you plans are with an autopilot, panel space, or use might sway *my* answer toward one way or another.  I will let others help you with the *better* question.

• Thanks 1

The Aspens generically are compatible with about any autopilot... the Garmin not so much. I suppose the E5 would have more features than 2 G5s, play nicer with other brands, take up similar real estate, has a simple upgrade path,  and cost less. 

At least that's my impression.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

The Aspens generically are compatible with about any autopilot... the Garmin not so much. I suppose the E5 would have more features than 2 G5s, play nicer with other brands, take up similar real estate, has a simple upgrade path,  and cost less. 

At least that's my impression.

Does the VFR model (Aspen E5) drive autopilots? The hardware is the same and can be easily upgraded but unsure the stock E5 has that functionality enabled.

28 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Does the VFR model (Aspen E5) drive autopilots? The hardware is the same and can be easily upgraded but unsure the stock E5 has that functionality enabled.

I did a little reading, the Aspen E5 does drive an auto pilot.

I did a little reading, the Aspen E5 does drive an auto pilot.

I would decide where you are headed with your avionics. The Aspen E5 can be upgraded to a full PFD with the capability to display a moving map, a full function HSI, winds aloft, full waypoint info and SVT/AoA. If you are going with the upgrade for IFR capability, I would go with either the Aspen or a dual G5. If plan on adding ADS-B In, you can display that on the Aspen PFD but not the G5.

ae9ea341d8ab4c1f7f6f8413c2505387.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

The E5 really is equilivent of a G5 Attitude Indicator and a G5 HSI, but the base level aspen only gives you a digital DG vs the full HSI the Garmin will give you.

A G5 in either PFD or HSI mode will show localizer and glide slope.   In other words, if you have a single G5 you can fly precision approaches with it (I've done many, and it drives my ancient, creaky Century III autopilot down a glidepath just fine).   

Ok, let me jump in here :-) I happen to have both an Aspen PFD and a G5 in my panel.

Granted, I have the Aspen PFD Pro which is the full IFR version. I also have the EA100 that allows it to talk to my KFC150 autopilot. The G5 is there to look pretty and help me get down if the Aspen takes a day off.

But with about 400 hours of flight time, looking at them side by side, there's no question for me, the Aspen is just a lot more instrument than the G5. Even if you compare two G5's to a single Aspen, I still like the Aspen more.

A few of the things I like about the Aspen:

1. Displaying multiple nav sources on the HSI simultaneously. I don't need a VOR head or CDI for my second Nav. I can display GPS course and TWO VOR needles all on the single HSI display. Frankly it makes using the second NAV even easier and keeps the panel clutter to a minimum, and saves the cost of the CDI.
  2. True Airspeed - It's probably not all that important, but it's nice to see TAS along with GS and IAS all at the same time and all the time.
  3. Wind speed and direction - again, just a nice to have, but I've used it many times to make altitude decisions while in route, for better wind. It's also a nice check when on final for the runway.
  4. Route depiction on the HSI - it's super nice to see a hold displayed right on the HSI. Again, only for IFR flight, but just making things easier.
  5. A separate Minimums bug on the AI. Not only can you set an altitude bug on the tape, but set the Minimums for an approach that shows up as a color changing wedge on the AI. Again, making IFR flight just that much easier.
  6. Distance/Time/Course to the next waypoint - often on the GPS, but nice to have on the Aspen right in my line of vision.

The Aspen is also just so upgradeable. Start with the E5 now, then next year upgrade to the Pro, then after that think about upgrading to the AOA or SV down the road. And it will drive your STEC autopilot today and anything else you put in tomorrow. Frankly I'd keep your Stec until you are ready to upgrade to the Stec3100.

I find that I only use the G5 as a second altitude or heading bug. Of course it doesn't drive my autopilot, but it just doesn't have the features of the Aspen, so I just don't use it. 

And that's my $0.02

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Ok, let me jump in here :-) I happen to have both an Aspen PFD and a G5 in my panel.

Granted, I have the Aspen PFD Pro which is the full IFR version. I also have the EA100 that allows it to talk to my KFC150 autopilot. The G5 is there to look pretty and help me get down if the Aspen takes a day off.

But with about 400 hours of flight time, looking at them side by side, there's no question for me, the Aspen is just a lot more instrument than the G5. Even if you compare two G5's to a single Aspen, I still like the Aspen more.

A few of the things I like about the Aspen:

1. Displaying multiple nav sources on the HSI simultaneously. I don't need a VOR head or CDI for my second Nav. I can display GPS course and TWO VOR needles all on the single HSI display. Frankly it makes using the second NAV even easier and keeps the panel clutter to a minimum, and saves the cost of the CDI.
  2. True Airspeed - It's probably not all that important, but it's nice to see TAS along with GS and IAS all at the same time and all the time.
  3. Wind speed and direction - again, just a nice to have, but I've used it many times to make altitude decisions while in route, for better wind. It's also a nice check when on final for the runway.
  4. Route depiction on the HSI - it's super nice to see a hold displayed right on the HSI. Again, only for IFR flight, but just making things easier.
  5. A separate Minimums bug on the AI. Not only can you set an altitude bug on the tape, but set the Minimums for an approach that shows up as a color changing wedge on the AI. Again, making IFR flight just that much easier.
  6. Distance/Time/Course to the next waypoint - often on the GPS, but nice to have on the Aspen right in my line of vision.

The Aspen is also just so upgradeable. Start with the E5 now, then next year upgrade to the Pro, then after that think about upgrading to the AOA or SV down the road. And it will drive your STEC autopilot today and anything else you put in tomorrow. Frankly I'd keep your Stec until you are ready to upgrade to the Stec3100.

I find that I only use the G5 as a second altitude or heading bug. Of course it doesn't drive my autopilot, but it just doesn't have the features of the Aspen, so I just don't use it. 

And that's my $0.02

Thanks Paul - that’s just what I was looking for!!  You’ve helped me decide which one I’m shooting for!!

I think it’s important to compare the dual G5’s to the Aspen E5. They are roughly the same price. 

G5’s gives you redundancy and full HSI. Not many bells and whistles, but very reliable and does what it does very well. It’s not upgradable yet, but works well with many, but not all, other auto pilots without expensive add-ons. It will function with the TruTrak auto pilot as well. 

The E5 is a single unit, which is good and bad. WHy they left out the HSI is beyond me, but it gives a DG and CDI, or you can pay an extra $1k or so for the HSI Upgrade. The E5 is upgradable, but the upgrades are very expensive. You can add features piecemeal, but it’s cheaper to get a better system to start with than to upgrade in pieces. The E5 has more inputs than the G5’s  

Comparing the G5’s to any Aspen but the E5 is like comparing the E5 to a Garmin TXi or a Dynon HDX. The only way to compare apples to apples is the equally priced E5 and the dual G5’s. 

• Like 1

I don’t find it a fair comparison to compare a VFR Aspen to a dual G5. A fair comparison would be a VFR Aspen to a single AI G5 or an Aspen Pro1000 (plus gpss adapter) to dual G5’s. No HSI in the aspen is a major drawback. To say the Aspen is more capable is not accurate. It gives you the option to spend an additional 5 K to get these features. Compare them as they come out of the box at about 5K.   The redundancy alone that two G5’s offer is a huge advantage over one Aspen E5.

Edited by m20kmooney

25 minutes ago, m20kmooney said:

I don’t find it a fair comparison to compare a VFR Aspen to a dual G5. A fair comparison would be a VFR Aspen to a single AI G5 or an Aspen Pro1000 (plus gpss adapter) to dual G5’s. No HSI in the aspen is a major drawback. To say the Aspen is more capable is not accurate. It gives you the option to spend an additional 5 K to get these features. Compare them as they come out of the box at about 5K.   The redundancy alone that two G5’s offer is a huge advantage over one Aspen E5.

You don’t need a gpss adapter with an Aspen- it’s built in.  You would need it with a garmin if you wanted that functionality.

the aspen series is more capable than the garmin G5- In functionality, features and upgradability.  The G5 does provide garmin users a low(er) cost option than their G500 panel mount line.  I do believe the G5 was specifically designed and released to take back market share from Aspen. 

Regardless- I’d wait until the Aspen max comes out and then go down that road.  If you absolutely must buy one now (AI failed?)  then the E5 would probably cheaper than dual G5’s as you could sell your old hsi.  Just a thought

• Like 1