Recommissioning - Airplane and Myself

65eTurbo

Hello all.  I used to post often on the Mooney mailing lists, but traffic on those seem pretty sparse these days, so I'm starting here.

Life got in the way of flying for a while, but I've decided to recommission my 65 E model turbo (which had been sitting in a heated hanger) and myself (not having been kept as good of conditions;-)).

The plane has had a thorough recommissioning annual with minimal squawks, drained and fresh gas, injectors cleaned, oil change, battery, lube, etc.  I've had a medical.

When I opened my logbook with a CFI to start knocking the rust off, turns out it had been 6 years since the last of my 750 hours!

I did a couple of hours in a DA 20 but I think I'd be more comfortable getting through the BFR and IPC in my trusty old E. 

Initial insurance ballpark seems quite reasonable, but now they want details, and I want to get quoted to get in the air and do the BFR in the E.

So, I'm reaching out for Mooney CFI recommendations in the northern Chicago suburbs area that would be interested in doing a thorough BFR/IPC in my plane.  Plane is based at UGN.

Phil

Welcome aboard, Phil.

It will be like riding a bike... except the falling off part...:)

Some things that may be of interest...

• A topic that might be similar is called Transition Training.  It touches on all the bases that you probably know already, but want to make sure you haven’t left anything out...
  • MAPA training.  Remember them? They offer Mooney specific training from an ownership perspective.
  • Do you have an instrument rating? Want to work on one?

These are things I did after taking time off from flying.  They are also instrumental in lowering one’s insurance cost... (looking forward)

Good luck on your next steps, and come back and tell us some more...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks, INA201.  carusoam, I'll check out transition training.  Took a few good MAPA sessions back in the day.

I'm instrument rated, and do want to get an IPC.  I'm surprised to find 3 digit insurance bids?!?!.  They know 3 hours in the past year, but don't know that BFR isn't current.  I'd just like to get current in my known plane so I'm not transitioning at the same time I'm getting current, so I'll need to talk to them about that starting dual.

I'll keep you all posted.

Find the search key... put insurance in there...

There is a recent thread regarding costs of insurance...  some people have seen an increase this year over usual...

The typical cost for getting back into flying is usually something like 1amu.... (coded for public discussion, aviation monetary unit)

The one time hit costs more to navigate around... you could gain hours flying with an instructor in his Mooney... but that doesn’t get you what you really want... and will cost extra as well...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 4:13 PM, 65eTurbo said:

Thanks, INA201.  carusoam, I'll check out transition training.  Took a few good MAPA sessions back in the day.

I'm instrument rated, and do want to get an IPC.  I'm surprised to find 3 digit insurance bids?!?!.  They know 3 hours in the past year, but don't know that BFR isn't current.  I'd just like to get current in my known plane so I'm not transitioning at the same time I'm getting current, so I'll need to talk to them about that starting dual.

I'll keep you all posted.

Hi Phil, long time no ping! Reach out to Michael Baraz, he has a local CFI he uses. Still have the turbo E, heh?

3 hours ago, steingar said:

Good luck getting back in the game.  Don't be in too big a hurry to cut yourself loose forth  CFI.  Airplanes can bite when mistreated.

What's a turbo E doing in Chicago?  Not a lot of rocks around to surmount.

Well, this bird ranged far and wide back in the day.   Back-and-forth to  Vancouver and back-and-forth across the rockies to the LA area. Up-and-down the West Coast between mountain ranges. It's also nice to get on top and cruise at 195 knots at flight level 180 for 8 hours.

It got annualed with a fine tooth comb, and I'm less worried about the airplane biting me than me biting myself, which is why I'd like a Mooney capable cfi.

• Like 1

Well, this bird ranged far and wide back in the day.   Back-and-forth to  Vancouver and back-and-forth across the rockies to the LA area. Up-and-down the West Coast between mountain ranges. It's also nice to get on top and cruise at 195 knots at flight level 180 for 8 hours.
 It got annualed with a fine tooth comb, and I'm less worried about the airplane biting me than me biting myself, which is why I'd like a Mooney capable cfi.

I always have a little reservation about flying my plane if I haven’t flown for a few weeks. Like my flight yesterday. Plane has been down since January 12th waiting for the JPI 900 to get returned. I find that first flight after even a short stand-down a little stressful until I feel the rust come off.

You would have enjoyed my flights in early 2013 when I tried to re-learn to fly my plane after an all glass upgrade. Didn’t realize how comfortable my rear seats are. It took me a solid 10 hours to get comfortable flying a plane that I have owned since 1991.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, I thought I'd get a few hours in a da 20 to get signed off and was surprised at how rusty I was and how hard the transition was.  I figured that the time would be better spent in my own familiar plane without having to transition as well, but I do expect it to take a while.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 4:32 PM, carusoam said:

Find the search key... put insurance in there...

There is a recent thread regarding costs of insurance...  some people have seen an increase this year over usual...

The typical cost for getting back into flying is usually something like 1amu.... (coded for public discussion, aviation monetary unit)

The one time hit costs more to navigate around... you could gain hours flying with an instructor in his Mooney... but that doesn’t get you what you really want... and will cost extra as well...

Best regards,

-a-

When I returned to flying after more than 20 years absence I was very pleased to find the insurance underwriters apparently more influenced by an IR and 3000 hours TT, all long ago, than they were by the lack of recent time. I paid ~$800 the first year for $50k hull. 

• Like 2