Recommended Posts

On 1/28/2019 at 8:18 PM, Cyril Gibb said:

I've heard great things about Halos and would have bought one to try if they were available.  I find it bizarre that the guy would choose to maintain a low "barrier to entry" by limiting volume.  In this day and age, I'm surprised that it took so long for a competitive product to arrive.

It's a shame, but you'd have to be willfully blind to not expect what happened.  This isn't the first, nor will be the last, small business to leave money on the table to their detriment.

Send him an email saying you missed the sale and if he could make

you a pair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

I contacted Phil about the availability of Halos. I truly think he is manufacturing them as quickly as he can. He said he was having trouble finding help in turning them out. There must be a huge demand, such that he has them in stock and almost immediately he is sold out again.

Incidentally, I got a set out of that last batch. No special deal. I just watched his site every day and ordered them immediately when they showed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I contacted Phil about the availability of Halos. I truly think he is manufacturing them as quickly as he can. He said he was having trouble finding help in turning them out. There must be a huge demand, such that he has them in stock and almost immediately he is sold out again.

Incidentally, I got a set out of that last batch. No special deal. I just watched his site every day and ordered them immediately when they showed up.

I wonder why he takes time off of manufacturing to go to SNF and OSH? That has to be expensive, he has to discount them, and he cant keep up with his own demand now. It would seem a more profitable avenue is to wait until demand begins to wain before trying to get more orders you cannot fill.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

I wonder why he takes time off of manufacturing to go to SNF and OSH? That has to be expensive, he has to discount them, and he cant keep up with his own demand now. It would seem a more profitable avenue is to wait until demand begins to wain before trying to get more orders you cannot fill.

I guess he just likes S&F and OSH and aviation.  I applaud him for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bill98 said:

What Costco did you fly to that is located on an airport?! I need some more paper towels. 

I took two loads from RDU to eastern NC last Fall with Operation Airdrop. My C with half tanks had >600 lb useful load available; the only other planes I saw much above 350 lb were all twins . . . . And some people say Mooneys are load limited! I was pretty full (out of space) well before hutting the weight limit / gross weight.

For the Halos, wear the metal band behind your head and let it fall against your neck / shirt / coat collar. There's very little risk of entanglement, although you can't atrach the O2 hose to the (nonexistent) ear cup or the (thin) microphone arm.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My custom ear molds arrived today and I went for a flight. They're HORRIBLE, completely unusable. They fit my ears precisely and perfectly too. They are at least four times louder than my LightSpeed headset. Not even close. The yellow foam doesn't work for me and I'm sure I placed them correctly. I'll try the black tips tomorrow but I'm anticipating that I'll offer the Halos for sale soon :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

My custom ear molds arrived today and I went for a flight. They're HORRIBLE, completely unusable. They fit my ears precisely and perfectly too. They are at least four times louder than my LightSpeed headset. Not even close. The yellow foam doesn't work for me and I'm sure I placed them correctly. I'll try the black tips tomorrow but I'm anticipating that I'll offer the Halos for sale soon :unsure:

That's unfortunate. I think I mentioned that my first set of ear molds were terrible as well. They fit, but were made much too small and didn't block any sound. I got better ear molds made at Oshkosh last year and they work great. I have my Halo headset mounted and wired behind the panel for the left seat in my Mooney. I flew today, but my brother was flying left seat. So I pulled out the Zulu2's. And they are not nearly a quiet as the Halo's with the good ear molds. 

Are your Halo's the black one's? If so, I'll take them off your hands if you don't want them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

That's unfortunate. I think I mentioned that my first set of ear molds were terrible as well. They fit, but were made much too small and didn't block any sound. I got better ear molds made at Oshkosh last year and they work great. I have my Halo headset mounted and wired behind the panel for the left seat in my Mooney. I flew today, but my brother was flying left seat. So I pulled out the Zulu2's. And they are not nearly a quiet as the Halo's with the good ear molds. 

Are your Halo's the black one's? If so, I'll take them off your hands if you don't want them.

 When I bought them they only had yellow in stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

My custom ear molds arrived today and I went for a flight. They're HORRIBLE, completely unusable. They fit my ears precisely and perfectly too. They are at least four times louder than my LightSpeed headset. Not even close. The yellow foam doesn't work for me and I'm sure I placed them correctly. I'll try the black tips tomorrow but I'm anticipating that I'll offer the Halos for sale soon :unsure:

It might be worth trying some "personal lubricant" on them.  I've not had the Halos, but many years ago I had another headset with custom-molded ear inserts and they recommended the use of personal lube (yes, like KY sex lube) and that made a big difference in sealing.  I laughed recently when I dug out an old seat bag and found a bottle of generic lube inside it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It might be worth trying some "personal lubricant" on them.  I've not had the Halos, but many years ago I had another headset with custom-molded ear inserts and they recommended the use of personal lube (yes, like KY sex lube) and that made a big difference in sealing.  I laughed recently when I dug out an old seat bag and found a bottle of generic lube inside it.
Baby oil works as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ross Taylor said:

It might be worth trying some "personal lubricant" on them.  I've not had the Halos, but many years ago I had another headset with custom-molded ear inserts and they recommended the use of personal lube (yes, like KY sex lube) and that made a big difference in sealing.  I laughed recently when I dug out an old seat bag and found a bottle of generic lube inside it.

I may try a bit of water, not too thrilled about anything that will dry up and leave residue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

My custom ear molds arrived today and I went for a flight. They're HORRIBLE, completely unusable. They fit my ears precisely and perfectly too. They are at least four times louder than my LightSpeed headset. Not even close. The yellow foam doesn't work for me and I'm sure I placed them correctly. I'll try the black tips tomorrow but I'm anticipating that I'll offer the Halos for sale soon :unsure:

I tried the black tips today and they're better than the yellow or the custom ones for me. I'm still not convinced they're as good as LightSpeed ANR - at least for me. I'm going to Mexico on Friday so I'll give the black tips and the custom molds another try before giving up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KLRDMD said:

I tried the black tips today and they're better than the yellow or the custom ones for me. I'm still not convinced they're as good as LightSpeed ANR - at least for me. I'm going to Mexico on Friday so I'll give the black tips and the custom molds another try before giving up.

The yellow tips... after you wear them a few hours you forget they're there. I know someone who tried to jump out of the plane with the headset still on because it's so light and unnoticeable. :lol:

Also good luck with one of those head squeezers for more than 5 hours! :rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 201er said:

The yellow tips... after you wear them a few hours you forget they're there. I know someone who tried to jump out of the plane with the headset still on because it's so light and unnoticeable. :lol: Also good luck with one of those head squeezers for more than 5 hours! :rolleyes:

I don't fly legs more than about two hours or so and I fly a BUNCH of legs less than 30 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

I tried the black tips today and they're better than the yellow or the custom ones for me. I'm still not convinced they're as good as LightSpeed ANR - at least for me. I'm going to Mexico on Friday so I'll give the black tips and the custom molds another try before giving up.

The black tips definitely seem to have less noise reduction than the yellow tips.  I think the black tips are there because they are more comfortable (softer) and convenient (they're soft enough to just jam in your ear instead of having to roll them up first).  Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think the black tips allow for pressure equalization through the foam, unlike the yellow tips.

I ended up using the black tips more, FWIW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaylw314 said:

The black tips definitely seem to have less noise reduction than the yellow tips.  I think the black tips are there because they are more comfortable (softer) and convenient (they're soft enough to just jam in your ear instead of having to roll them up first)

I rolled them first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KLRDMD said:

I rolled them first.

The secret to many things in life is to just jam it in :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate foam earplugs, they get hot and make my ears sweat, or else they roll with a taper and ooze out after a few minutes.

So I use the silicone "christmas tree" earplugs.  :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I preferred the orange silicone plugs as well but I don't think they're included with the Halos any more. I got a couple of sets of them at Osh last year, but Phil had to dig around a bit to find them. Now with the custom ear molds, (it took two times to get the right) I'll never go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 201er said:

The yellow tips... after you wear them a few hours you forget they're there. I know someone who tried to jump out of the plane with the headset still on because it's so light and unnoticeable. :lol:

5C66BA3F-555F-47C3-8EAC-E70A950AE045.jpeg.ea89511207cdcfd03d5f5619b37b19a4.jpeg

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I preferred the orange silicone plugs as well but I don't think they're included with the Halos any more. I got a couple of sets of them at Osh last year, but Phil had to dig around a bit to find them. Now with the custom ear molds, (it took two times to get the right) I'll never go back.

My originals were white, now I'm using some that are light gray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 7:53 PM, Hank said:

I use the silicone "christmas tree" earplugs.  :)

Those are clear now. I put them in on the ground this morning and could tell essentially no noise reduction from not having them in so it didn't make any sense to even try fly with them. I put the black ones in and it seemed to diminish the ambient noise reasonably well so I took off with them. They were "OK" ish. Not great noise reduction but the strange thing is I had to clear my ears three times climbing out and I only went to 2,500 AGL. Once established in cruise with the autopilot on I swapped out the black tips to the custom ear molds. I put a bit of water on them before inserting them and they were "OK" too. They seemed to have better noise reduction than any of the tips that came with the headset. Then I took off the Halo and put on the Lightspeed Zulu 3. The LightSpeed is definitely quieter. Then I put the Halos back on. I'll give them some more time seeing if they're usable for me. I don't know at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could wear those, I like that guy and like his head sets.  ButI have little tiny ear canals, all the plugs are too big for my little ears.  I'll be buying some Lightspeeds when I get the coin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.