Halo headsets

StevenL757

4 hours ago, steingar said:

I wish I could wear those, I like that guy and like his head sets.  ButI have little tiny ear canals, all the plugs are too big for my little ears.  I'll be buying some Lightspeeds when I get the coin.

You can use the tan kid sized ones. For my wife I bought pink women’s size ear plugs and custom made them myself because the yellow foamies were too big for her as well.

• 1 month later...

I bought a set, Cub Yellow a couple of months ago and I've really tried to make them work for me but I simply can't. I'm going to end up selling them. Due to the limited availability of these I'm sure they'll bring close to a new price. They were used for about an hour and come with everything except the tips I tried.

48 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

I bought a set, Cub Yellow a couple of months ago and I've really tried to make them work for me but I simply can't. I'm going to end up selling them. Due to the limited availability of these I'm sure they'll bring close to a new price. They were used for about an hour and come with everything except the tips I tried.

How much with shipping to Alabama?

45 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

Haven't gotten that far in the thought process. What's it worth to you ?

I've loved mine since 2010, but my wife can't make up her mind about trying them. Now that she's been wearing an earpiece at work for the last couple of years, it's worth testing, but I'm not gonna give up mine.

If she keeps them, her DC 13.whatevers will become spares for pax.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:26 PM, 201er said:

You can use the tan kid sized ones. For my wife I bought pink women’s size ear plugs and custom made them myself because the yellow foamies were too big for her as well.

How did you bore the hole needed to insert the black plastic tube that connects to the headset? I've been collecting them for years hoping to one day create my own but I never found a good way to make the hole.

11 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

How did you bore the hole needed to insert the black plastic tube that connects to the headset? I've been collecting them for years hoping to one day create my own but I never found a good way to make the hole.

A hot nail.

• 2 months later...

As a wearer of reading glasses, constantly taking them off or putting them on or simply moving them up and down my nose, I found that the regular headsets I've tried just don't work well for me. So, I just bought a pair of the Halos and tried them out for the first time this past week (flying from Flagstaff to San Diego's KMYF and back).  I'm super impressed with the noise reduction, the comfort, and the ease of use with glasses.  My wife doesn't like the in-the-ear headphones or earbuds, so she's going to stick with her LIghtspeed ANRs... but I think I'm moving my over-the-ear headset to the back seat.  Just my PIREP, based on two 2-hour flights so far. But color me impressed so far.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I bought a pair of Halos and tried them on a short flight today.  ATC kept stating that they could not hear me, and there was static. They were good enough to put up with my calling and getting reports of the transmission quality.  Then I put my David Clarks on and they immediately said, "that was the first time we really heard you."  The microphone boom on the Halo is too short to get it to touch my lip.  Perhaps the microphone does not have the directionality of the Dark Clark dynamic microphone.  

They seem to be quiet, but I did not have a real chance to test that aspect because the transmission quality was such a problem.. Any Ideas of what could be the problem.  Any special guidance in setting them up and using them?  I have heard very good things about these headsets.  Also, the side tome (if I have that term used correctly - when you hear your own voice when you are transmitting) is echo-like and very different from what I hear with my DC.  Any ideas?

John Breda

1 hour ago, M20F-1968 said:

I bought a pair of Halos and tried them on a short flight today.  ATC kept stating that they could not hear me, and there was static. They were good enough to put up with my calling and getting reports of the transmission quality.  Then I put my David Clarks on and they immediately said, "that was the first time we really heard you."  The microphone boom on the Halo is too short to get it to touch my lip.  Perhaps the microphone does not have the directionality of the Dark Clark dynamic microphone.  

They seem to be quiet, but I did not have a real chance to test that aspect because the transmission quality was such a problem.. Any Ideas of what could be the problem.  Any special guidance in setting them up and using them?  I have heard very good things about these headsets.  Also, the side tome (if I have that term used correctly - when you hear your own voice when you are transmitting) is echo-like and very different from what I hear with my DC.  Any ideas?

John Breda

The mic is made to talk into one side of. It reaches around my big head pretty well, and I keep it close enough to almost touch my lips. In ten years, I've never had a problem; my wife insisted that she didn't like earplugs until I bought a yellow set for her, but she was non-committal after a local flight, then we went on a trip (2 hours each way) and she now loves them.

20191005_174756.thumb.jpg.2c93a7ee991ad76187e6f1b952c6fa44.jpg

(aerobatics are best done solo!  B) )

20190906_171954.thumb.jpg.fea2cb9b6d1d8f956c082d942ce4a232.jpg

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hank said:

The mic is made to talk into one side of. It reaches around my big head pretty well, and I keep it close enough to almost touch my lips. In ten years, I've never had a problem; my wife insisted that she didn't like earplugs until I bought a yellow set for her, but she was non-committal after a local flight, then we went on a trip (2 hours each way) and she now loves them.

What Hank says here. Pull the foam cover off the mic and take a look, make sure you have the flat side for talking facing your lips. I always just squeeze it to make sure I have the flat side facing my lips when I put it on. Also, check the stereo/mono switch and try it in both positions to see which way the sound and side tone sound best. Mine works best on the mono setting, but I have an ancient audio panel and intercom. Play with the volume control on the headset as well, I had once where I started noticing an annoying buzzing, turns out I had the volume on the headset turned up and the actual radio volume down, the headset was amplifying some electronic noise. Turning the headset volume down and the radio up fixed it.

Hank, my wife loves hers as well, they were a birthday present for her I think a year ago.

• Like 2

Mike sensitivity... and directionality...

1) sensitive to rotation

2) when rotated the right way... it will pick up your breathing... when placed under your nose...

3) when rotated the wrong way... it ignores all the noises your vocal chords are trying to make...

4) Not sure if there is a guide for proper set-up...

5) Hank and Deborah’s pic above is perfect!

Best regards,

-a-

I got my local ear--o-logist to make a set of foam/rubber/plastic/synthetic (whatever they use) moulded inserts.  Ugly yellow so no one else will want them.  Works great.  Apparently with tinnitus (which I have) the ANRs do not do a whole pile of good anyway.  

Love my Halos.

Thank you Phil.

• Like 1

Ok, still having issues with the Halos.  

Took the plane out today and made sure the microphone was facing in the correct direction (although even when it is positioned, it still wants to rotate downward toward the floor).  It does seem quieter thn my David Clarks, but ATC is still stating that my transmissions to them (with the Halos) is scratchy, unclear and difficult to understand.  I purchased two, one is slightly better than the other, but still with issues.  After 40 minutes or so I took them off, plugged in my DC ENR, and was told "read you loud and clear." 

Pros:

They are light

Hearing yourself when transmitting is different, more like you are listening in a reverberant room, but I can get used to that

They seem to be quieter

Receiving ATC transmissions seems to be OK

Cons:

ATC tells me transmissions are just not as good as with the DC.

I question what they will do in severe turbulence in terms of stability on your head

How what?  Has anyone actually check with ATC or another plane to see how the transmission is compared to their conventional headset?

John Breda

13 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

Has anyone actually check with ATC or another plane to see how the transmission is compared to their conventional headset?

John Breda

I haven't checked with ATC or another plane but I have listened to archive recordings on liveatc.net and my trasmissions were very clear.

• Like 1

Just saw this post on another web site:

Love my Halo's. Just bought one for Teresa, my wife.

IRT the OP concerns:
- be aware that the proper mic orientation is to have the LARGE single hole towards your mouth, and
- urge caution with trimming the tubes, the length is tuned to best transmission to the speakers and contains a transducer of some description (easily seen in the tubes)

I tried them with the side that has several smaller holes directed towards the lips.  What is correct?

john Breda

Either you've got a bad set of Halos or they're more difficult to figure out than I thought. 

I've never had any of the issues you speak of. The sound quality both speaking and listening is superior to my Zulu3's. I was on a phone call, through my Halos, via Bluetooth to my PMA450b audio panel during my run up. The party on the other end of the call, also a Mooney pilot, didn't believe I was in the airplane, much less running it at 1700 RPM. I also recently had cause to listen to some transmission of mine on LiveATC and the recording is very clear.

And I'll also say they stay put much better than the Zulu's in turbulence. The wire frame of the Halos can be manipulated easily to just the right position. And once there, it stays there. 

I hope you're able to work it out so they function properly for you. Because for so many of us, these are the best headsets we've ever worn. And I'd like you to be able to enjoy the superior comfort and performance as well.

• Like 1