Mag Stranded me again

nfonville

I haven’t heard any buzz about EMag getting certified for Production aircraft. The Surefly has been just about to get certified for nearly three years now. I can’t see how they can package the electronics and the CDI ignition in that housing and make it work. Not enough volume. 

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I haven’t heard any buzz about EMag getting certified for Production aircraft. The Surefly has been just about to get certified for nearly three years now. I can’t see how they can package the electronics and the CDI ignition in that housing and make it work. Not enough volume. 

I am aware - I had emails with a person at EMags last summer and they said they are working on it - but not close - as in several years to go.  Surefly seems much closer and they seem a good next best.

Aren't both of those systems operating well, honed and improved, for years in the experimental fleet?

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I don’t have any data but I would think mounting a electronic device to a engine with all that heat and vibration will cause more failures, where a device mounted to the firewall would be more reliable.

Tom

As I understand electronics can be hardened to be appropriate for the application if one is willing to pay the price.  Is this device properly hardened?  I don't know but hasn't it been tested for years in the experimental fleet?

AS I understand it, there is electronics for nav and targeting in big artillery shells.  Now thats a harsh environment.

As I understand electronics can be hardened to be appropriate for the application if one is willing to pay the price.  Is this device properly hardened?  I don't know but hasn't it been tested for years in the experimental fleet?
AS I understand it, there is electronics for nav and targeting in big artillery shells.  Now thats a harsh environment.

I ask my mechanic who works on a lot experimentals, he’s had a few switch back to mags. But that’s only 1 datapoint.

Tom
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 8:40 PM, aviatoreb said:

RIght - I need to do the 500hr inspection I mean.  Is that the same thing as what is called IRAN?

Pick a good shop to do the 500 hour.  I recently posted a picture of the parts replaced on a proper 500 HR on a pair of Bendix mags.  We use Aircraft Magneto Serice in Montana with great success.

Clarence

I got the plane back yesterday.  They replaced the capacitor kit (PN: K3984) on the left and retimed the right.  The crimp on connector broke off on the old one. Ran like a champ.  Only cost $680 to get it out of the shop.  Glad I did not have to buy a new mag. Oh well, now ready for the PPP in LAL this weekend.  Mooney on folks!

Edited by nfonville
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Pick a good shop to do the 500 hour.  I recently posted a picture of the parts replaced on a proper 500 HR on a pair of Bendix mags.  We use Aircraft Magneto Serice in Montana with great success.

Clarence

Thanks for the reference - exactly what I need.

11 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

They only have to withstand 25000 Gs no problem. 

I'm working on a project with those considerations. the technical nuances will make your head swim...

22 hours ago, carusoam said:

Great follow-up nfonville!

New and OH mags can have their timing slip after installation... you probably have some guidance to follow for that?

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

They timed the left mag at reinstallation and then retimed the right mag. Flew from DFW area to Lakeland FLA today and all seems good.

• Like 4

On 1/30/2019 at 8:32 AM, M20Doc said:

From the Champion application guide.

Clarence

BC815192-C968-4324-8F03-4ADE5DE893E2.jpeg

I apologize if this was covered already but the POH calls for 6260 and 6261s yet I currently have 6360 and 6361 on mine.  My engine has the Bravo conversion.  Has anyone had experience with this when putting in new mags? I need to overhaul them and wondering which to use.

1 hour ago, Davidv said:

I apologize if this was covered already but the POH calls for 6260 and 6261s yet I currently have 6360 and 6361 on mine.  My engine has the Bravo conversion.  Has anyone had experience with this when putting in new mags? I need to overhaul them and wondering which to use.

The 6260 and 6261 are the old part numbers, the only new mags available are the 6360 and 6361.

• Like 1