Chicago to Phoenix

PeytonM

I sincerely appreciate everyone’s suggestions. I’m ready to go and the airplane is ready to go. It’s been a frustrating waiting game as weather systems have been “training” from the southwest to the midwest the past week. However, it looks like I may finally have an opportunity tomorrow and Friday for the southern route via El Paso. In the meantime, I’ll do a few more weather checks! Thanks again!

I'd launch as long as the weather at home was VFR. Once airborne use that Mooney speed and Mooney range, to get around whatever weather there is out there. Just be prepared to stop and spend the night or two somewhere. Worst case scenario, make an end run around it and come in behind the weather.

I'd launch as long as the weather at home was VFR. Once airborne use that Mooney speed and Mooney range, to get around whatever weather there is out there. Just be prepared to stop and spend the night or two somewhere. Worst case scenario, make an end run around it and come in behind the weather.

If you do this, Deming,NM (KDMN) is a good stop, hotels are within walking distance.

Tom

Great wx forecasted tomorrow from Chicago to western NM. I’m seeing some pretty wicked weather the rest of the way for Friday beyond that. I was planning  a stop overnight @DMN although I’m seeing blowing dust(!!) at DMN TAF tomorrow afternoon.

Or stop short at ELP. Maybe there’s more to do at ELP?!

Either way, probably sit Friday, then fly the rest of the way to DVT Saturday.

I would not fly New Mexico or Arizona either Thursday or Friday as significant WX moving across these states. Saturday might be ok.   I have never done the northern route yet but some have flown Casper then South down the Western slope.   Not sure I would attempt this in very cold weather with out survival gear and a 406 ELT.  Pretty desolate and spotty radar coverage at lower altitudes we fly.  

3 hours ago, PeytonM said:

Great wx forecasted tomorrow from Chicago to western NM. I’m seeing some pretty wicked weather the rest of the way for Friday beyond that. I was planning  a stop overnight @DMN although I’m seeing blowing dust(!!) at DMN TAF tomorrow afternoon.

Saturday is supposed to be severe clear, I believe,  so sounds like you have a solid plan!

3 hours ago, PeytonM said:

Good plan. We've got a MooneySpacer in ELP. @RocketAviator 

1 hour ago, Gary0747 said:

I would not fly New Mexico or Arizona either Thursday or Friday as significant WX moving across these states. Saturday might be ok.   I have never done the northern route yet but some have flown Casper then South down the Western slope.   Not sure I would attempt this in very cold weather with out survival gear and a 406 ELT.  Pretty desolate and spotty radar coverage at lower altitudes we fly.  

But if flying from ELP west to PHX one can just follow I10. Granted it's some desolate country, but would make for an easy landing and a short wait if at all before help came along.

Just stay over the highway until clear of the weather and with a clear, straight line to PHX.

7 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

But if flying from ELP west to PHX one can just follow I10. Granted it's some desolate country, but would make for an easy landing and a short wait if at all before help came along.

Just stay over the highway until clear of the weather and with a clear, straight line to PHX.

It is not a straight line to Phoenix. It is a big dog leg. It takes you through the middle of Tucson. It will help you out of the mountains.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It is not a straight line to Phoenix. It is a big dog leg. It takes you through the middle of Tucson. It will help you out of the mountains.

What I was trying to say was to follow the highway until clear of the weather and THEN turn and make a straight line to Phoenix. Or just stay over the highway and take the big detour over Tucson and then up to Phoenix. 

One of the benefits of Mooney range and speed, deviating from that straight line to bypass weather is doable.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

What I was trying to say was to follow the highway until clear of the weather and THEN turn and make a straight line to Phoenix. Or just stay over the highway and take the big detour over Tucson and then up to Phoenix. 

One of the benefits of Mooney range and speed, deviating from that straight line to bypass weather is doable.

You are correct. but just about anywhere along that route heading straight to Phoenix will take you over the mountains, Tucson Approach is friendly enough. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 1/25/2019 at 3:30 PM, 201er said:

I’m pretty sure I just flew direct when I was going nonstop from Phoenix to Chicago in my 201. Might take a little longer the other direction.

I've done this route many times. In a C model, An  E and  K turbo. without a turbo on a clear day, you go through alvida pass. Pueblo to farmington NM. There are valleys of 10 k  YOu get pretty close to the peaks 900 feet maybe. OR you go south of ALB. 

Erin

On 1/26/2019 at 6:26 AM, carqwik said:

VFR at 10.5 should be no problem.  Best route is to fly to a point south of Colorado into NM around FTI...then towards just south of SAF - ABQ - SJN - direct.  Be mindful of the Phoenix Bravo though...the shelf on the eastern edge is quite low relative to the nearby rocks. 

This is the best route unless you want to go way south.  Go direct to LVS, then around the southern toe of the rockies, south of SFE and north of ABQ.  It is flat there and plenty of room between the rockies and the sandias, and although the altitudes are relatively high, it is relatively flat to PHX.  DVT generally has good maintenance.  I have had bad experiences with maintenance at SDL. KIWA has heavy training traffic.

I HAVE AN ENDORSEMENT AND A REQUEST. FLYING WESTBOUND NEAR PHOENX

I agree with with Stephen and Bill 98 using the SOUTHERN ROUTE GOING WESTBOUND TO PHOENIX. ( good example)

i make this run in my non turbo 201 approximately 4-5 times per year. Hence experiencing all seasons. CHICAGO area to Southern CA.

You will enjoy the better ride quality and seldom compromise mission time using the southern route going either direction.

If you Are not an experienced mountain flyer ..fly in the system using IFR  BUT NOT IMC UNLESS NECESSARY.

REQUESTING PLEASE.

IF YOU ARE A PHOENIX AREA RESIDENT... I HAVE BEEN SHOPPING A RENTAL CAR. PHOENIX AREA.... PRICES FOR AREA AIRPORTS ARE UGLY 

PLEASE EMAIL ME       plyons820@YAHOO.COM      WITH SUGGESTIONS . IM NOT FUSSY... SMALL, SMALLER OR  COMPACT 

ARRIVE FEBRUARY 13   DEPARTURE FEBRUARY 17 

THANK YOU FELLOW TRAVELERS 

4 hours ago, Patrick Lyons said:

I HAVE AN ENDORSEMENT AND A REQUEST. FLYING WESTBOUND NEAR PHOENX

I agree with with Stephen and Bill 98 using the SOUTHERN ROUTE GOING WESTBOUND TO PHOENIX. ( good example)

i make this run in my non turbo 201 approximately 4-5 times per year. Hence experiencing all seasons. CHICAGO area to Southern CA.

You will enjoy the better ride quality and seldom compromise mission time using the southern route going either direction.

If you Are not an experienced mountain flyer ..fly in the system using IFR  BUT NOT IMC UNLESS NECESSARY.

REQUESTING PLEASE.

IF YOU ARE A PHOENIX AREA RESIDENT... I HAVE BEEN SHOPPING A RENTAL CAR. PHOENIX AREA.... PRICES FOR AREA AIRPORTS ARE UGLY 

PLEASE EMAIL ME       plyons820@YAHOO.COM      WITH SUGGESTIONS . IM NOT FUSSY... SMALL, SMALLER OR  COMPACT 

ARRIVE FEBRUARY 13   DEPARTURE FEBRUARY 17 

THANK YOU FELLOW TRAVELERS 

Try this.  Find lowest price at a non airport location.  Take uber or lyft to go get it.  See how that affects your total sl cost.  Major airports have tons of surcharges.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gacoon said:

Try this.  Find lowest price at a non airport location.  Take uber or lyft to go get it.  See how that affects your total sl cost.  Major airports have tons of surcharges.

^This.   Uber and Lyft are both huge here, so book a rental car wherever makes the most sense to you and just get a ride from the airport to there. 

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

get the waymo app, sign up for a free ride fully autonomous :)

There are hundreds of Waymo cars driving around my house. I pass many every day. I’ve never seen one without a driver.

They rarely have passengers.

My wife just said we are signed up for a Waymo ride. She signed up 6 months ago. No ride yet.

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

I believe they still are required to have a mirror foggin human in them for intervention, but are functioning on full autonomous mode while they acquire data. Those drivers are the passengers from what I have heard. Get the app here

I don't have to believe anything, I just have to look out my window. Here in south Tempe is the epicenter of Waymo! They are not rare, sometimes they are 20% of the cars on the road. They are annoying, they drive like old ladies. They are incapable of pulling out into heavy traffic. If you get stuck behind one at rush hour you are screwed.

So, I'm home recovering from the flu. traffic was a little slow, it took three minutes to get this picture out of my bedroom window.

You can see there is a driver and no passengers.

Waymo.jpg

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Haha 1