Chicago to Phoenix

PeytonM

The weather is getting pretty awful here.  Snow and what looks like near-record cold next week. 

Fortunately, we’ve got a condo rented near Scottsdale March 1. I’ve decided to fly my ‘89 M20J that I’ve owned for 25 years out there in mid-February. I do have supplemental oxygen and I have an IR. I have flown the bird to the SF Bay Area, then to Seattle and back a couple decades (!!) ago, so I’ve done west and the northwest, just not the southwest. That trip was in October.

I’ve looked at a couple routes: KMHK, KTCC, then direct KDVT; or a southern route, towards Carlsbad and then hooking around west, which adds 200 miles (1478nm vs 1285), but elevations are 2000 lower (7500 vs. 9500ft).

Any experience or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Peyton 

2 minutes ago, PeytonM said:

The weather is getting pretty awful here.  Snow and what looks like near-record cold next week. 

Fortunately, we’ve got a condo rented near Scottsdale March 1. I’ve decided to fly my ‘89 M20J that I’ve owned for 25 years out there in mid-February. I do have supplemental oxygen and I have an IR. I have flown the bird to the SF Bay Area, then to Seattle and back a couple decades (!!) ago, so I’ve done west and the northwest, just not the southwest. That trip was in October.

I’ve looked at a couple routes: KMHK, KTCC, then direct KDVT; or a southern route, towards Carlsbad and then hooking around west, which adds 200 miles (1478nm vs 1285), but elevations are 2000 lower (7500 vs. 9500ft).

Any experience or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Peyton 

I’m pretty sure I just flew direct when I was going nonstop from Phoenix to Chicago in my 201. Might take a little longer the other direction.

VFR at 10.5 should be no problem.  Best route is to fly to a point south of Colorado into NM around FTI...then towards just south of SAF - ABQ - SJN - direct.  Be mindful of the Phoenix Bravo though...the shelf on the eastern edge is quite low relative to the nearby rocks. 

13 hours ago, neilpilot said:

A few years ago we spent 10 days in Phoenix, and initially planned to land at KDVT.  However, we changed our destination to KSDL.  The location was more convenient, and Ross self service fuel was about the same price as KDVT.

$$$$$$ now, call fbo’s and get pricing

13 hours ago, neilpilot said:

A few years ago we spent 10 days in Phoenix, and initially planned to land at KDVT.  However, we changed our destination to KSDL.  The location was more convenient, and Ross self service fuel was about the same price as KDVT.

That's rarely true.   Airnav says Ross SDL self-serve 100LL is $5.50 (which sounds about right) and today I paid $4.39 at the DVT self-serve.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, neilpilot said:

If you must go to SDL, Ross is the place to go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

If you must go to SDL, Ross is the place to go.

Agree. I took a trip last year to SDL from Arkansas. Stop at self serve on your taxi in and Ross waves a few or two for the fuel purchase. They came out with a cart and helped me with my bags. Great service.

SDL has a brand-new municipal terminal with a fancy new restaurant (that rivals Sedona for coolness), and Ross is right next door.   The new terminal is not as friendly to pick ups and drop offs as it used to be (although it's still fine), but the Ross folks are always nice to deal with, too.

Mesa Gateway now charges landing fees, so Scottsdale is now a much friendlier airport for GA in that regard, .   Chandler and Deer Valley are still great with cheaper fuel and good restaurants, although I must admit you can actually walk to the cafe at Chandler from parking near the self-serve pump, and you can't do that at Deer Valley.   Don't bother with Stellar...fuel there is now $5.25 and the only amenity is a port-a-john by the fuel pump.

• 3 weeks later...

Update us on your trip. I did south route via "Anthony gap" by El Paso. My origin was KHAE, but I did it up from KORD to simulate your routing. Left some of the WX layers in.... notable this time of year. My Mooney is in the hangar till the MidWest ice machine calms down.

568775087_ScreenShot2019-02-14at12_32_28PM.png.f1907f7ba6b9188cdaf61521d1c75089.png

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

Update us on your trip. I did south route via "Anthony gap" by El Paso. My origin was KHAE, but I did it up from KORD to simulate your routing. Left some of the WX layers in.... notable this time of year. My Mooney is in the hangar till the MidWest ice machine calms down.

568775087_ScreenShot2019-02-14at12_32_28PM.png.f1907f7ba6b9188cdaf61521d1c75089.png

Sending you #prayers for warm weather !!

• Like 1

I’ve been considering a flight to Phoenix myself. I was thinking April, May time frame out of Cincinnati. Wanted to stop and see a friend east of Albuquerque then on to visit another friend in Apache Junction. Leary about flying over the mountains direct from Albuquerque to Phoenix. Thinking El Paso then west is the safest way to go?

I fly Michigan to DVT every year. Nice Fuel stop at Dumas, Tx then ABQ direct works just fine.  I minimize turbulence in the mountains by avoiding flying whe the winds at 12,000 are over 25knots.  A little more direct route if WX is good uses V210 thru LaVeta Pass to ALS then direct DVT.  If you are IFR and can cancel fly the last part VFR to avoid the arrival procedure that routes you way out of the way. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Albuquerque to Phoenix is usually a pretty easy trip. You are already past the big mountains. Unless the winds kick up then it can be slow and rough way up into the flight levels.

A few years ago I got the crap beat out of me in the Bravo going from Santa Fe to Tucson at 16,500. I didn't want to file IFR so higher wasn't an option. I'm going back to Santa Fe in a couple of months.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:26 AM, PeytonM said:

I may need pitot/static/transponder after I arrive. (I’ve tried to squeeze it in here in February before I leave, but weather & scheduling has not worked.) Any suggestions in the Valley?

Warren Keysar 623-687-1805 used to do our pitot/static/transponder when we were based in DVT. He is mobile and travels to all valley airports.