What is this Part??? Broken on annual.....HELP! Sits on top of yoke ANSWR: 088-01091-0004 - switch cap assy

Cabanaboy

Looking for the housing that sits atop yoke on left side

Holds buttons: Speedbrakes, CWS, Autopilot Disconnect, Manual Electric Trim  (buttons are fully functional and do not need buttons, ONLY HOUSING)

1992  M20J

Been looking and no luck so far, is it a bendix king part? Gotta be a optional part, why so hard to id???

thingy.jpg

thingy2.jpg

Edited by Cabanaboy
added Bendix King photo

The speedbrake button should be on a separate part below the autopilot/trim switch. It looks like you need the AP/Trim switch housing. You might try contacting @Alan Fox or @acpartswhse to see if they have any available. You could also give Loewen Salvage a call (former LASAR owner) to see what he has. Phone number is 7 oh 7 2seven2 eightysix thirtyeight. That goes directly to Paul. Good luck!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cabanaboy said:

Holds buttons: Speedbrakes, CWS, Autopilot Disconnect, Manual Electric Trim  (buttons are fully functional and do not need buttons, ONLY HOUSING)

1992  M20J

Been looking and no luck so far, is it a bendix king part? Gotta be a optional part, why so hard to id???

thingy.jpg

thingy2.jpg

Have you called any avionics shops. I know when I had more buttons added they came up with another yoke gizmo to allow it to be mounted. Perhaps they have them or know where to get them. Or even make them.

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Have you called any avionics shops. I know when I had more buttons added they came up with another yoke gizmo to allow it to be mounted. Perhaps they have them or know where to get them. Or even make them.

I have called several people including LASAR, Cole Aviation in GA, My shop etc. Looks like the same part used on Ovations as well, cant believe so hard to find, i think you are right probably a avionics shop known part.  thanks

2 hours ago, Cabanaboy said:

1992  M20J

thingy.jpg

thingy2.jpg

According to your picture it seems to me that the broken piece is not the housing but the base plate under the housing. In any case here are part numbers that may be helpful. These are Bendix King parts.

651E450D-588C-40BD-8635-246002F05226.png

Edited by m20kmooney

46 minutes ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

It is 3-D printable, if you have all of the broken pieces, (or if you can find a CAD file).  Be advised, though, that if you have to do it that way, it may cost up to $150-$200.

I should have all the parts, wonder who could do it or how to find them? I have people looking like LASAR they are trying to find out from Mooney.

2 minutes ago, m20kmooney said:

According to your picture it seems to me that the broken piece is not the housing but the base plate under the housing. In any case here are part numbers that may be helpful.

GOOD FIND!!!!! I was going to look for that manual ! !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, m20kmooney said:

According to your picture it seems to me that the broken piece is not the housing but the base plate under the housing. In any case here are part numbers that may be helpful.

I think what broken on mine is item#5 looks like part number 00-2959-00 hard to make out when i downloaded image is grainy can u confirm? Called Switch Cap Assembly

17 minutes ago, Cabanaboy said:

I think what broken on mine is item#5 looks like part number 00-2959-00 hard to make out when i downloaded image is grainy can u confirm? Called Switch Cap Assembly

Do you have better pics? From that image it is my impression that it may be the base plate. It’s hard to distinguish on that pic.

Actually I may be wrong and it may indeed be the housing. What’s throwing me off pn that pic is that broken protrusion on the bottom edge. That doesn’t belong there and I can’t tell what it is.

Edited by m20kmooney
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cabanaboy said:

see photo, i need the whole plastic piece that holds the trim switch etc.

Switch Cap Assembly2.jpg

Ahh! ok I see now! The housing is broken. How did that break? Was it loose? If it’s not completely in pieces and the screw holes holding it down not broken it may be possible to glue it together from underside. 

Edited by m20kmooney

32 minutes ago, m20kmooney said:

Ahh! ok I see now! The housing is broken. How did that break? Was it loose?

Shop did it on annual, i think they removed plastic piece under windshield (Glare Shield?) over instruments etc (not sure what its called) and must have cracked it, also scratched windshield inside as well.

Edited by Cabanaboy
  • Sad 1

Are they accepting responsibility to replace it? I would not let them take it apart. This needs to be done by an autopilot or avionics shop because it involves the autopilot controls. There are 6 wires under there on the trim switch that need to be disconnected and reconnected in order to replace that housing. The disconnect and CWS switches are easier but that trim switch needs to come out first. It’s easiest to cut the wires down behind the yoke and resolder them.

Edited by m20kmooney
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, m20kmooney said:

Are they accepting responsibility to replace it? I would not let them take it apart. This needs to be done by an autopilot or avionics shop because it involves the autopilot controls. There are 6 wires under there on the trim switch that need to be disconnected and reconnected in order to replace that housing. The disconnect and CWS switches are easier but that trim switch needs to come out first. It’s easiest to cut the wires down behind the yoke and resolder them.

Not sure yet, they have a avionics shop but not sure how good. :wacko:

3 hours ago, Moh said:

Yeah i saw that and they must have every part ever made listed and if they cant get it easy they dont waste their time.  Here is a email response from one of these so-called suppliers:

"no current stock, price or leadtime, no quote.  Thanks for the inquiry." 

Anthony is correct that you can repair the part. On the back side rough up the plastic.  Clean with isopropyl alcohol.  Take some packing tape and create a barrier on the front side where it’s cracked.  Paint some epoxy and take a couple of strips of fiberglass and do two layers. Make sure that the glass won’t interfere with the control buttons.  You’ll probably clean up with some sandpaper and a Dremel tool.  It might not be pretty but it will be functional again. 

Re the scratch - shop should take responsibility.  Windshields are valuable.  I’m not sure if I’d trust them to micro mesh it...

why'd they remove the glareshield during annual anyway...? 

Edit: if you need to send it to me.  I have a small composites workshop in my garage and could fix it in a day or so.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bradp said:

Anthony is correct that you can repair the part. On the back side rough up the plastic.  Clean with isopropyl alcohol.  Take some packing tape and create a barrier on the front side where it’s cracked.  Paint some epoxy and take a couple of strips of fiberglass and do two layers. Make sure that the glass won’t interfere with the control buttons.  You’ll probably clean up with some sandpaper and a Dremel tool.  It might not be pretty but it will be functional again. 

Re the scratch - shop should take responsibility.  Windshields are valuable.  I’m not sure if I’d trust them to micro mesh it...

why'd they remove the glareshield during annual anyway...? 

I think they wanted to get to one of the instruments (fuel pressure gauge).  May be possible to repair as stated and I will do that if it can not be sourced. I think the hardest part of doing that will be disconnecting the trim switch and others, looks like a lot of connections on the trim switch and some type of clear silicone? or something on the pins.........