What is this Part??? Broken on annual.....HELP! Sits on top of yoke ANSWR: 088-01091-0004 - switch cap assy

Cabanaboy

If you clip the wires to the switch use this method to re-connect them:

i did the same with my trim switch and it worked well. Put a large heat shrink around the individually heat ahrinked wires.  Best part is if you need access again simple desolder and you’re all set. If it’s too tight in the yoke handle @Piloto suggested cutting the wires staggered.  Just make sure you have them well labeled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradp said:

If you clip the wires to the switch use this method to re-connect them:

i did the same with my trim switch and it worked well. Put a large heat shrink around the individually heat ahrinked wires.  Best part is if you need access again simple desolder and you’re all set. If it’s too tight in the yoke handle @Piloto suggested cutting the wires staggered.  Just make sure you have them well labeled. 

+1 on staggering the wires (whether you use pins or just solder), it'll reduce the maximum width of the bundle.  It does mean, though, that you will have a longer stretch of wire that is inflexible.  Alternatively, you could split the difference and staggering two smaller bundles.

Incidentally, I found that Steinair.com was the cheapest and easiest way to get those damn pins and sockets, as well as the crimping tool

22 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

+1 on staggering the wires (whether you use pins or just solder), it'll reduce the maximum width of the bundle.  It does mean, though, that you will have a longer stretch of wire that is inflexible.  Alternatively, you could split the difference and staggering two smaller bundles.

Incidentally, I found that Steinair.com was the cheapest and easiest way to get those damn pins and sockets, as well as the crimping tool

How can i find the pins and sockets on Steinair web site, what are they called?

I was stuck and had to resolder the switch leads  - I ended up using the existing wires and making the connection  in the vertical yoke handle and putting  some slack in the bundle in the horizontal part of the yoke in case I needed to disconnect the switch. I also didn’t want to have to solder upside down under the panel.  Been there don’t like to do it.  

Only real rule of thumb is avoid places where there is flexing of the wires (ie avoid yoke shaft exit). 

You also need a little bit of service line if you were to need to access again in the future. 

Go for the most easily accessible part of the yoke assembly in case you need to re access   

• Like 1

• Cabanaboy changed the title to What is this Part??? Broken on annual.....HELP! Sits on top of yoke ANSWR: 088-01091-0004 - switch cap assy

There is no rule that is has to look exactly as the part you have.  It is merely a box to place switches.  You can 3D print it as was mentioned.  You can make a small box using it as a fiberglass mold to lay-up fiberglass over it.  Yo can also get a block of aluminum and work manually on a vertical milling machine and mill out a new box, similar to what you have.  

This will be the most durable of the options and will be the last one you will every have to make.

John Breda

12 hours ago, m20kmooney said:

Best place is down behind the yoke. Why don’t you have avionics shop do this? 

In the tube is okay. Behind the yoke shaft is bad. That where the cables flex with every movement of the yoke.  Puts too much stress on connectors or solder joints.  May be fine for a few years but expect problems down the road. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

02-2019 I was able to order one from Bendix King(my shop did as they are a Bendix King "dealer"  Bendix Phone -->855-250-7027

Wanted to make sure i posted where and how i got part 088-01991-0004 called Switch Cap Assembly.

image.thumb.png.19f6785091c221232a4f5aba8d8cdd88.png

7 minutes ago, Cabanaboy said:

02-2019 I was able to order one from Bendix King(my shop did as they are a Bendix King "dealer"  Bendix Phone -->855-250-7027

Wanted to make sure i posted where and how i got part 088-01991-0004 called Switch Cap Assembly.

image.thumb.png.19f6785091c221232a4f5aba8d8cdd88.png

What did it cost?

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, M Terry said:

found an STL file to 3D print this part

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4340751

I would give it no more than 50% chance to fit on the first try.  Be ready to modify the file or sand/cut some plastic.  There are soooo many variables between printers, slicers, plastics, filaments, etc.

• Thanks 1