Will this GTX 345 Installation Work?

PT20J

I'm scheduled to have a GTX 345 installed in my J in March by a shop that has done a lot of 345 installs. From posts on MS and other forums, it seems that the most common source of dissatisfaction with GTX 345 installations arises from it not playing with other installed avionics as expected. I'm seeking feedback from those more experienced on my proposed installation as well as any configuration/setup/options gotchas that I should consider. 

Current avionics that will remain: GNS 430W, KAP-150 autopilot, Aspen 1000 PFD (connected to 430W and providing heading, nav and GPSS to autopilot), KMA 24 audio panel.

New avionics: GTX 345 w/o GPS replacing KT-76A.

The GTX 345 will connect to the GNS 430W via ARINC 429 for WAAS source and ADS-B In traffic and weather display.

The GTX 345 will connect to the Aspen PFD via RS-422 for ADS-B In traffic and weather display.

The GTX 345 will connect via Bluetooth to an iPad for AHRS and ADS-B In traffic and weather display.

The GTX 345 audio will connect to the KMA 24 for traffic annunciation.

The GTX 345 will connect to the current yoke-mounted IDENT button.

The airplane originally had a Argus moving map (removed by a previous owner) and there remain two currently unused buttons on the right horn of the pilot's yoke from that installation. Anybody got any ideas of something useful to connect them to?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Skip

What about the recent Aspen AD with Ads-b data? We have many other Aspen users with the 345, but I assume with the new AD it just means you won't be able to have AdsB Wx (maybe traffic too) until Aspen comes out with an approved fix. But check the AD to stay informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not believe you can get weather on the 429 line. Traffic - Yes. Weather - No.

Weather is only available over the 422 data line. The problems start with the configurations of that data output in the 345.

The OUT has to match the IN of the mating equipment.  If they will work with the same data configuration you can piggy back it all on the 422 line. (don't hold your breath)

The Aspen issue has been resolved with a software update that is pending FAA approval. 

13 hours ago, Cruiser said:

I do not believe you can get weather on the 429 line. Traffic - Yes. Weather - No.

Weather is only available over the 422 data line. The problems start with the configurations of that data output in the 345.

The OUT has to match the IN of the mating equipment.  If they will work with the same data configuration you can piggy back it all on the 422 line. (don't hold your breath)

The Aspen issue has been resolved with a software update that is pending FAA approval. 

The 430 will use RS-232 for gps and weather information. The 429 will be for traffic.

You will also want to use the RS232 out of the aspen to send pressure altitude to the 345 so that you can get rid of your encoder.