FNG

Air pirate

Good evening all,

Lurked around the site for a bit and thought I would make myself official. Very impressed with the wealth of knowledge and a willingness to help newbies on this site. You meet the best people at small airports :)

I hold a commercial license, single engine and instrument rating. I have never flown a Mooney but always loved them, Total time around 400 hours, I have over 100 hours in an Arrow, similar time in a V-35, Citabria and a few in a Turbine Evolution and Citation 3 (thanks to a good friend). I have looked a few C models (budget under $60k ) Haven't had the guts to pull the trigger yet on any of them, the fantasy may be better for now, but stuff happens.

Fly safe and thanks for a great site.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Air pirate said:

Good evening all,

Lurked around the site for a bit and thought I would make myself official. Very impressed with the wealth of knowledge and a willingness to help newbies on this site. You meet the best people at small airports :)

I hold a commercial license, single engine and instrument rating. I have never flown a Mooney but always loved them, Total time around 400 hours, I have over 100 hours in an Arrow, similar time in a V-35, Citabria and a few in a Turbine Evolution and Citation 3 (thanks to a good friend). I have looked a few C models (budget under $60k ) Haven't had the guts to pull the trigger yet on any of them, the fantasy may be better for now, but stuff happens.

Fly safe and thanks for a great site.

Welcome! Everyone is an FNG once.  Your budget is good C model territory and you may find a few injected birds in that range as well.  If I were looking at non-injected models, I would feel much more comfortable pulling the trigger on one with a well instrumented engine that has demonstrated healthy CHTs in climb.  O360 engined Mooneys tend to run hotter than the injected birds. Sometimes significantly so if the the "dog house" is not well maintained.  Likely not a problem with a well maintained bird, but something to be mindful of. The C owners will be along to crucify me shortly...;)

Edited by Shadrach

Welcome, @AirPirate!

Good Cs are really good planes. No need to discuss Cs that aren't good . . . .

The whole key to flying and landing a Mooney well is accuracy and speed control. When I push for 500 fpm descents, my IAS climbs almost immediately to 170-175 mph and stays there until I reduce descent rate. Make the plane do what you want and it will reward you; give it her head and all bets are off.

Things happen around here quickly enough that you won't be the FNG for too long!  ;)

If you have any particular questions, feel free to ask. There are some knowledgeable C owners here, and some who know lots about instruments, installed equipment, etc.

• Like 1

Forget buying a plane, keep flying your friends Evolution and Citation ;)

I love our C model.  A great IFR platform and good useful load for a 4 seater....keeping in mind you probably only have three people in it.

$60K is a good target.  You can get one for less, but you'll spend more after fixing and minor upgrades and still end up near $60K.  

Thank you all for the welcome, I will try an  keep stupid questions to a minimum.  Boilermaker has a point, its nice having friends with airplanes. Always thought about that statement "Having friends with boats" when I was tied up the gas pump in my Formula Thunderbird watching the gage ring away. Funny how some guys love turning money into noise, my curse, my wife says still cheaper than having girlfriends.:D

10 minutes ago, Air pirate said:

Thank you all for the welcome, I will try an  keep stupid questions to a minimum.  Boilermaker has a point, its nice having friends with airplanes. Always thought about that statement "Having friends with boats" when I was tied up the gas pump in my Formula Thunderbird watching the gage ring away. Funny how some guys love turning money into noise, my curse, my wife says still cheaper than having girlfriends.:D

Much cheaper, and at least this way you can lock it up in a hangar, walk away, and come back when you want. I think there are laws against doing that with a girlfriend...:lol:

Oh, and it will be just how you left it when you return.

18 hours ago, Hank said:

@AirPirate

Good Cs are really good planes. No need to discuss Cs that aren't good . . . .

Hank

It goes like this

As are appealing

Bs are the best

Cs are cool

Ds are dynamite

Es are excellent

F are fabulous

Gs are good

Js are joyous

Ks are killer

Os are outstanding

Rs are remarkable

well you get the picture

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 8:35 PM, Air pirate said:

I have never flown a Mooney but always loved them, Total time around 400 hours, I have over 100 hours in an Arrow, similar time in a V-35, Citabria and a few in a Turbine Evolution and Citation 3 (thanks to a good friend). I have looked a few C models (budget under $60k ) Haven't had the guts to pull the trigger yet on any of them, the fantasy may be better for now, but stuff happens.

I think flying one will pretty much seal the deal for you - you will cringe every time you see an Arrow going forward.  Your awkward FNG phase will then rapidly come to an end, and you will be widely known for having possibly the baddest 'stache in the Mooney community ;).

50 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

F---ing New Guy.

Military reference, probably Vietnam era.

It’s still in use.  1 each standard “new guy” callsign. At least until the FNG does something funny, dumb, ridiculous, or “earns it” in another manner...

34 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

I’ll have a pretty decent 66 C model for sale later this year. Going through it now taking care of details and should be ready to sell after the TruTrak auto pilot STC is finished. Price will be at the $40K range.

David

That will be a C worth looking at. It will not be on the market very long!

• Like 5