Garmin G500 TXi EIS

Bryan

Does the TXi EIS show %HP for a given temperature, altitude, MAP, RPM, and FF like the JPI and EI do?  

From some of the screenshots and vidoes you guys posted - it does not appear in the "strip" and not (yet) seen a good representation of it listed on any MFD or stand-alone screen like below before.  I understand this could be added via software later but seems like an important number (to me) to be left out.

If the TXi EIS already has this, can you share some shots and screen captures from the iPad to show this?

@Steve Skinner @Rmag @JohnB @Junkman

cf-lg.jpg

Does the TXi EIS show %HP for a given temperature, altitude, MAP, RPM, and FF like the JPI and EI do?  
From some of the screenshots and vidoes you guys posted - it does not appear in the "strip" and not (yet) seen a good representation of it listed on any MFD or stand-alone screen like below before.  I understand this could be added via software later but seems like an important number (to me) to be left out.
If the TXi EIS already has this, can you share some shots and screen captures from the iPad to show this?
[mention=17103]Steve Skinner[/mention] [mention=15081]Rmag[/mention] [mention=11113]JohnB[/mention] [mention=15047]Junkman[/mention]
cf-lg.jpg

Mine does not.
However I got the tech to squeeze in a tit depiction into the strip so I guess anything is possible.
I would have thought it only important to a shared aircraft. You know the numbers that you fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 1:09 PM, Steve Skinner said:

Mine does not.
However I got the tech to squeeze in a tit depiction into the strip so I guess anything is possible.
I would have thought it only important to a shared aircraft. You know the numbers that you fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

I have TIT on my 10" pfd as well.  The down side is that it doesn't display the value, only the TIT on a gauge.  It appears that the leaning functionality is only based on EGTs and not on TIT values.  The good news is that a) it's software which will hopefully be improved, and b) the actual value of TIT is available on an iPad via Garmin pilot connected with a FS510.

The TXi EIS is much less restricted then the JPI or EI instrument replacements. The installer can change the gauges around and program the parameters unlike JPI and EI. There are some limitations but at least you don't have to send it back if something changes on the engine parameters.

I bet if enough people ask they will be able to add % horsepower. 

Quote from BT thread:

A percent power gauge is not currently available in the TXi EIS software. This is something that we want to add in a future software version, but I don't have a specific timeline for implementation.

Thanks,
Levi Self
Aviation Project Manager

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 11:12 AM, smccray said:

+1

I have TIT on my 10" pfd as well.  The down side is that it doesn't display the value, only the TIT on a gauge.  It appears that the leaning functionality is only based on EGTs and not on TIT values.  The good news is that a) it's software which will hopefully be improved, and b) the actual value of TIT is available on an iPad via Garmin pilot connected with a FS510.

The TIT actual number can display on the TXi. This was one of my beefs at first. On the split screen, you’re correct, TIT can only display as a gauge with no numeric value. But on the engine page, you can select a numeric tit. Go to the page, where you see the bar graphs for egt, swipe right or left on the egt display and you will get to a display that will have your TIT bar as your right most bar, and just next to that bar you will see your numeric TIT value. This took me a while to figure out,  it once you swipe it to the display you want it will stay there and always show your numeric TIT displayed on your engine page.

My biggest remaining beef now with the EIS system is that there is no way of displaying your numeric CO level with appropriate equipment like exists on the JPI or EI or any other engine monitor. (CO level even  displays on the G1000 system, but NOT the Txi.) I really wish that Garmin would add this to the TXi panel, as knowing how much CO is in your cabin with alerts that lets you know when your level is too high, and prenotification of small leaks before they become problems so you could leisurely fix them would be a great safety enhancement that exists on almost all other engine monitoring systems,  but NOT the TXi. And so far I get crickets from Garmin when I have asked if they could unlock or add this functionality. Yes, a %HP display would also be nice to have, but if Garmin could only have room to add one additional item, I would prefer it to be the numeric CO level for safety reasons, as you can guess what your %HP would likely be close to if you have memorized your numbers in most settings, but you can’t guess your CO level at all. And I don’t miss not having my %hp display as much as I don’t like that my CO level no longer displays after my upgrade to the TXi from my JPI.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnB said:

The TIT actual number can display on the TXi. This was one of my beefs at first. On the split screen, you’re correct, TIT can only display as a gauge with no numeric value. But on the engine page, you can select a numeric tit. Go to the page, where you see the bar graphs for egt, swipe right or left on the egt display and you will get to a display that will have your TIT bar as your right most bar, and just next to that bar you will see your numeric TIT value. This took me a while to figure out,  it once you swipe it to the display you want it will stay there and always show your numeric TIT displayed on your engine page.

My biggest remaining beef now with the EIS system is that there is no way of displaying your numeric CO level with appropriate equipment like exists on the JPI or EI or any other engine monitor. (CO level even  displays on the G1000 system, but NOT the Txi.) I really wish that Garmin would add this to the TXi panel, as knowing how much CO is in your cabin with alerts that lets you know when your level is too high, and prenotification of small leaks before they become problems so you could leisurely fix them would be a great safety enhancement that exists on almost all other engine monitoring systems,  but NOT the TXi. And so far I get crickets from Garmin when I have asked if they could unlock or add this functionality. Yes, a %HP display would also be nice to have, but if Garmin could only have room to add one additional item, I would prefer it to be the numeric CO level for safety reasons, as you can guess what your %HP would likely be close to if you have memorized your numbers in most settings, but you can’t guess your CO level at all. And I don’t miss not having my %hp display as much as I don’t like that my CO level no longer displays after my upgrade to the TXi from my JPI.

Not available with my setup. The TIT bar doesn’t display in the box with the EGTs. I only have TIT on the primary list of engine instruments.

1 hour ago, smccray said:

Not available with my setup. The TIT bar doesn’t display in the box with the EGTs. I only have TIT on the primary list of engine instruments.

I thought mine didn't too, took me about a month to figure this one out, but I saw an advertised picture of the Txi /EIS with a numeric TIT displayed and figured there had to be a way to do it. Until I realized you could swipe the bars back and forth to show different items on the bar graphs. ill try to put a video of it up here next time I'm out at my airplane, as if you can select a dedicated full screen engine page you should have it too, or have your installer turn it on, but if you only have the engine gauge primary strip option in your setup, it won't be there.

17 hours ago, JohnB said:

@smccray, Here’s a still picture of my TIT display. In the box just below the TIT number just swipe your screen with your finger where the yellow arrow is until TIT displays in the top box like mine is. 

23403396-62B8-415E-958C-0C6E12BF872D.jpeg

3680A3A8-5E76-4EDB-8A80-21F9A4EB3C1D.jpeg

Here's my G500.  I don't have the same configuration of the TIT to the right of the EGT.  I only have the TIT on the bar on the right side.  The yellow mark on the gauge is setup at 1310 which is the target climb TIT.  The red mark on the garage is 1650.  The last white tic is 1600 TIT which is about 50 degrees LOP.  I have confirmed my TIT peaks at just under 1650, but I'll need to keep a close eye on that over time to verify that's correct.  I'm probably 70-80 degrees LOP in this photo- cylinders are nice and cool.  Airspeed is low because MP is low, and I'm not running as much fuel through the engine as I can.  Airspeed should have been 10 knots faster at that altitude, but I'm getting the plane sorted.

IMG_0797.jpeg

@smmcray yours looks like mine, and I can make mine display EGT 4 if I wish. What happens when you swipe the portion just under your egt numeric value. It should change and cycle through several different screen options When you swipe your display to the right Egt 1, 2, 3, 4, TIT.  If after you’ve swiped your screen several times, if the tit bar doesn’t appear on the right, you just need your installer to activate it as I see you have it Installed in your EIS on your strip screen. If your swipe is not activated, you should be able to get your installer to just set it to display tit in the box.

Edited by JohnB