Aspen ADS-B Software Update

Marauder

For those of you with the Aspen ADS-B enablement, received an email from Aspen indicating they have a fix and are waiting for FAA approval to release.

“January 22, 2018

Dear Valued Customers and Partners,

I am writing to you to provide an update of the progress of the software modification to correct Aspen displays with software version 2.9 recycling when connected to an ADS-B transponder, transceiver or receiver. We have completed software update (version 2.9.01) which corrects the problem and are currently awaiting approval from the FAA.

We are working in partnership with the FAA to find a means to release this software update as soon as possible in the wake of the government shutdown.

We sincerely appreciate your patience and will keep you informed of further developments.

For questions, contact your local Aspen Dealer or Aspen Customer Support.

Mark Ferrari

Vice President Sales and Customer Support

www.aspenavionics.com”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Probably sent in response to this from the FAA:

[Federal Register Volume 84, Number 15 (Wednesday, January 23, 2019)]
[Rules and Regulations]
[Pages 209-212]
From the Federal Register Online via the Government Publishing Office [www.gpo.gov]
[FR Doc No: 2019-00104]
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Federal Aviation Administration
14 CFR Part 39
[Docket No. FAA-2018-1085; Product Identifier 2018-SW-100-AD; Amendment 39-19541; AD 2019-01-02]
RIN 2120-AA64
Airworthiness Directives; Aspen Avionics, Inc., Evolution Flight Display Units
AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), DOT.
ACTION: Final rule; request for comments.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
SUMMARY: We are adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for certain Aspen Avionics, Inc. (Aspen), Evolution Flight Display (EFD) EFD1000 Primary Flight Display (PFD), EFD1000 Multi-Function Display (MFD), EFD1000 Emergency Backup Display (EBD), and EFD500 MFD units installed on various aircraft. This AD requires disabling the Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) In function and revising the Airplane Flight Manual Supplement (AFMS). This AD was prompted by reports of flight displays repetitively resetting. We are issuing this AD to address the unsafe condition on these products.
DATES: This AD is effective February 7, 2019.

The Director of the Federal Register approved the incorporation by reference of a certain publication listed in this AD as of February 7, 2019.
We must receive comments on this AD by March 11, 2019.

I thought Garmin has a similar issue with their equipment?

No, I believe it was unique to Aspen and only in certain parts of the country. I read that a data string was being transmitted by certain ADS-B towers was causing the reset. Supposedly, it only impacted the Aspen displays. So if you are like me with a Lynx-9000, that will not reset but the Aspen will.

I also read they correct the tower issues but this proposed AD makes me suspect that didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4 hours ago, Cruiser said:

I thought Garmin has a similar issue with their equipment? Anyone know the details.?

One of the recent software updates for GTN units caused them to occasionally flicker to a black screen then back to the menu. The service bulletin for the software release containing the fix mentions it was related to handling of weather data received via ADS-B.

Edited by bdash