FAQ or Sorted Topics Section?

0TreeLemur

Dear webmaster,

As a relatively new MS member I occasionally see resurrected threads that provide some really good information.  If edited, these old threads could form the basis of a section on various topics that represent a valuable summary of discussions.   For instance, I just discovered this jackscrew thread.   The entire thread is certainly not necessary, but it could be edited down to present some very valuable info in a concise manner explaining how to remove the jackscrew for cleaning/lubrication and repair if necessary.

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/21024-trim-jackscrew-binding/

If someone hadn't resurrected it, I wouldn't have seen it until I searched for it.   But I think the essential information there is really valuable, coincidentally because I've noticed the jackscrew in my bird getting a little sticky lately.  

If MS had a section not unlike a FAQ, where you or some editor can post a summary of an old thread that is not editable, but readable by all, that would be fantastic.  It would help reduce redundant threads that rehash material that has already been discussed ad-infinitum.   We could get away with this in part because we all have different variations of the same model of aircraft.  New/similar or overlapping threads that include information not in the 'FAQ' section could be added.  You could ask members to nominate prior threads for status in the FAQ section.     There is so much here, and some real jewels in the rough that with a little work could be great summaries of different issues folks have addressed with the M20 series.

Anyhow, this is just a thought.  Given that MS administrative salaries are so high, perhaps I ask too much ;)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How about at least a "Popular Threads" section?   That is easy- when a thread gets more than "N" posts and an "editor" sees that it is an informative thread, not an online fistfight, then it is deemed popular.   That will make those threads that attract a lot of attention stand out.  At present, they are really hard to find unless resurrected.  Topic 21024 from above is a real good example.

Maybe there could be a "nomination" and election process for threads to be highlighted?   How about another option in the lower right hand corner to vote to elevate a thread to noteworthy FAQ status- if a thread gets enough votes, it shows up in the FAQ?

Hi @kortopates , thanks for your thoughts, but search doesn't solve the problem of identifying excellence in a public forum.  My point is discovery of information rich content, not search.   With some ranking, judgment and editorial control, the best of MS could be cataloged for browsing.  Long threads full of information on "common" topics could be identified, expanded and updated, while minimizing redundancy.   Sometimes searching works fine when you are looking for something specific.   I wasn't looking for jackscrew info, I happened upon it. 

Here is an example that search won't solve:   As a regular, I know about the thread "Today's Flight for 2019".   People in the know go post their recent flight experiences there.    People who don't know and haven't seen it, aren't going to know to post there.  They probably aren't going to search for it either, why would they?    Because they don't know better, that person will create another thread called "I Flew to XXY Today".    In a "Popular Threads" section, users will regularly peruse because that's where most of the action is, and where most of the content that has been deemed meaningful by the members and editors resides.  I do think it would be a great addition, and all you old-timers that have been hanging around here for ever, who know where the good threads are can share that knowledge with the noobs by nominating high content threads for status as an excellent thread.   We need a way to flag/tag/highlight information rich threads for browsing.  I'll shut up now.

19 minutes ago, Fred₂O said:

With some ranking, judgment and editorial control, the best of MS could be cataloged for browsing.

Not saying its a bad idea or wouldn't be helpful to some people. But its a lot of work and although I could be terribly wrong I just don't see Craig wanting to take all that on without it being entirely s/w driven by features he can simply turn or enable.  Otherwise it seems like a lot of work for someone(s) to do for an unknown value - if any. 

By monitoring recent activity, everyone can see what threads that are being added too regularly and where the current activity is.

By googling outside of Mooneyspace, folks can search for a topic or item they want to learn about before posting - but few do and we repeat the same topics over and over again. Which is okay, but we often get more than one thread on even the same news event, such as an accident.

But I personally don't like the idea of the someone summarizing or editing a thread to condense the gold nuggets of wisdom, since the value of the information herein is what people gleam from the post. Different people will get different points etc.

Of course this is only the opinion of myself and I have absolutely no say whatsoever. Its totally in Craig's court But I am all for keeping the site as easy or as simple for him to administrate as possible.  

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, kortopates said:

But I personally don't like the idea of the someone summarizing or editing a thread to condense the gold nuggets of wisdom, since the value of the information herein is what people gleam from the post. Different people will get different points etc.

I couldn't agree more.   No editing, just identifying long threads containing lots of valuable discussion that deserve to be in a place of prominence.    Software-wise, adding a reaction would be necessary.  Right now the options are "Like" "Thanks" "Haha" "Confused" and "Sad".   I'm suggesting adding another "FAQ Worthy".   Once Craig notices enough "FAQ Worthy:" votes on a thread, he can then decide to accept or reject that recommendation.  If he accepts it, he creates a link to that thread in an appropriate FAQ category.   Alternatively, when some number  of members (e.g. 50) vote a thread as "FAQ Worthy", then it would automatically go into the FAQ category, and maybe Craig or his designee sorts them.  That would be pretty easy.   Getting N (e.g. 50) votes as FAQ Worthy would be hard, but as good threads are occasionally resurrected from the great beyond, it could happen, especially to good threads :)

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more.   No editing, just identifying long threads containing lots of valuable discussion that deserve to be in a place of prominence.    Software-wise, adding a reaction would be necessary.  Right now the options are "Like" "Thanks" "Haha" "Confused" and "Sad".   I'm suggesting adding another "FAQ Worthy".   Once Craig notices enough "FAQ Worthy:" votes on a thread, he can then decide to accept or reject that recommendation.  If he accepts it, he creates a link to that thread in an appropriate FAQ category.   Alternatively, when some number  of members (e.g. 50) vote a thread as "FAQ Worthy", then it would automatically go into the FAQ category, and maybe Craig or his designee sorts them.  That would be pretty easy.   Getting N (e.g. 50) votes as FAQ Worthy would be hard, but as good threads are occasionally resurrected from the great beyond, it could happen, especially to good threads

Maybe what you really want is a reaction at the thread level rather than individual post level.
But I know nothing of what the platform supports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I try to remember that Craig, @mooniac58 is a Former Mooney owner and continues to maintain this forum because... actually we don't know why... and therefore are just VERY thankful that he does.

On that note, if anyone is passing through Santa Fe, be sure to stop in and buy Craig an adult beverage... off the top shelf.

• Like 3

Craig keeps such a low profile, it is hard to figure out how to buy him a drink. But Craig, if you are listening, if you get to the Dallas area, I would gladly buy you lunch/dinner/beer, etc.