ForeFlight platform

Is there any other platform beside the I-pad that can run Foreflight?  I just had my I-pad mini 3 crap out and it will not hold a charge.  I went to get another one and I'm told they are discontinued and then just about fall over with sticker shock for the new ones.  699.00 for a larger one that really doesn't fit my needs?  Has anyone found a better way?

Nope. Foreflight was teasing us Android fans for many years with "coming soon" announcements before quietly dropping the project. 

FF is iOS only. 

I use an 8" Huawei Mediapad M5 and have had zero problems. Garmin Pilot, WingX, and FltPlan Go all work great.

Nope. Foreflight was teasing us Android fans for many years with "coming soon" announcements before quietly dropping the project. 
FF is iOS only. 
I use an 8" Huawei Mediapad M5 and have had zero problems. Garmin Pilot, WingX, and FltPlan Go all work great.

It’s because it’s way harder to develop quality software for android. Mac/iOS is as much a software development toolkit as it is an OS.

The WiFi iPad mini is cheaper and is perfect for ForeFlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

699.00 for a larger one that really doesn't fit my needs?  Has anyone found a better way?

You can buy a used one from eBay. I would do that. If you are not FF fan, you can try avare for Android. It’s free and android tablet costs much less.

Thank you
Mohamed
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, toto said:

FF is iOS only. 

OK.  I figured.  I am really beginning to hate Garmin.  I hate being tied to one brand and the deeper I dive the more Garmin hangs on. 

1 minute ago, Dream to fly said:

OK.  I figured.  I am really beginning to hate Garmin.  I hate being tied to one brand and the deeper I dive the more Garmin hangs on. 

After spending eleventy zillion AMUs on Garmin products, I always wish they would just throw in a GP subscription.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moh said:

You can buy a used one from eBay. I would do that. If you are not FF fan, you can try avare for Android. It’s free and android tablet costs much less.

Thank you
Mohamed

Yep, +1 for Avare as well. It doesn't have the features that the name-brand EFBs have, but for charts and plates, it's fantastic. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

Is there any other platform beside the I-pad that can run Foreflight?  I just had my I-pad mini 3 crap out and it will not hold a charge.  I went to get another one and I'm told they are discontinued and then just about fall over with sticker shock for the new ones.  699.00 for a larger one that really doesn't fit my needs?  Has anyone found a better way?

The refurbished apple store has stock: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ipad/ipad-mini-4

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gsengle said:

It’s because it’s way harder to develop quality software for android. Mac/iOS is as much a software development toolkit as it is an OS.

The WiFi iPad mini is cheaper and is perfect for ForeFlight.

It seems that Apple has essentially discontinued the Mini, with nothing new on the horizon. The Mini 4 came out several years ago, and it's pretty long in the tooth at this point. 

I've owned many Apple devices, so I won't bad mouth them too much. But it always drove me nuts that you have to buy a "cellular" model for a 40% markup if you want a GPS chip. (Most Android tablets include a GPS chip in their Wifi-only models.)

It seems that Apple has essentially discontinued the Mini, with nothing new on the horizon. The Mini 4 came out several years ago, and it's pretty long in the tooth at this point. 
I've owned many Apple devices, so I won't bad mouth them too much. But it always drove me nuts that you have to buy a "cellular" model for a 40% markup if you want a GPS chip. (Most Android tablets include a GPS chip in their Wifi-only models.)

Apparently no, there is an iPad mini 5 on the way. And who cares the 4 runs foreflight fine too.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/17/ipad-mini-ipad-half-2019/

If you still want to use FF, and can hold off about 2-3 months, there is pretty compelling evidence and rumors that Apple is about to release a new mini iPad... most probably in March. Here is a thread to follow on MS that we have been talking about it:

I am hoping for Apple Pencil support.

Having said that, in the very least you should see the current Mini 4 (still valid and working today) continue to go down. We bought our kids iPad mini 4 iPads for Christmas (128gb) for $250 on Black Friday.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Having said that, in the very least you should see the current Mini 4 (still valid and working today) continue to go down. We bought our kids iPad mini 4 iPads for Christmas (128gb) for $250 on Black Friday.

I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A, wifi model. for Christmas a year ago for less than $200. Then I bought two 64GB memory cards for $35 and out one in it and the ither in my Samsung phone. Works great flying with Avare and driving with googlemaps, just do the planning at home, in a hotel / FBO / McDonald's parking lot and it's good to go. 

8 hours ago, toto said:

After spending eleventy zillion AMUs on Garmin products, I always wish they would just throw in a GP subscription.

Do yourself a favor and try IFlyGPS. For instance, I can use my windows desktop to plan/play/learn, transfer plans to my Android tablet and Galaxy phone. You can use their 30 day free trial. You'll thank me later :-)

Older iPads can be had cheap lots of places.  It is widely believed that Apple will come out with a mini 5, they now have competition.  I hope they do, the mini is the only one that fits the yoke of the Mooney.  Might just get a bigger iPad cheap and save the mini for the airplane.  It runs Foreflight just fine, and is way, way cheaper than even the most bargain basement aviation handheld.  And most bargain basement aviation handheld won't show you free ADSB weather and traffic.

5 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

Do yourself a favor and try IFlyGPS. For instance, I can use my windows desktop to plan/play/learn, transfer plans to my Android tablet and Galaxy phone. You can use their 30 day free trial. You'll thank me later :-)

I agree iFly deserves a look. ForeFlight is and will likely remain my primary so long as I fly IFR, but my main backup on both my iPad and my Android is iFly and am almost as comfortable with it as ForeFlight. They have been around quite a while and the EFB, which runs pretty much identically on iOS, Android, Windows, and their own dedicated hardware is both rock solid and excellent. 

On the other issue being discussed, size, while I much prefer the Mini, I have not had the issues others see with a larger form factor. I used iPad 1st and 3rd Gens with no problem in any cockpit, including Mooney. I actually had to be convinced the Mini wasn't too small.

MooneyIpad.PNG

Edited by midlifeflyer

4 hours ago, steingar said:

Older iPads can be had cheap lots of places.  It is widely believed that Apple will come out with a mini 5, they now have competition.  I hope they do, the mini is the only one that fits the yoke of the Mooney.  Might just get a bigger iPad cheap and save the mini for the airplane.  It runs Foreflight just fine, and is way, way cheaper than even the most bargain basement aviation handheld.  And most bargain basement aviation handheld won't show you free ADSB weather and traffic.

Well I’ve been flying behind yoke mounted a 10” iPad for years, with no issues.  I know I’m not the only pilot who disagrees that “the mini is the only one that fits the yoke of a Mooney”, since my partner also uses our Ram mount for his iPad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neilpilot said:

Well I’ve been flying behind yoke mounted a 10” iPad for years, with no issues.  I know I’m not the only pilot who disagrees that “the mini is the only one that fits the yoke of a Mooney”, since my partner also uses our Ram mount for his iPad.

Have to agree. The view (albeit fuzzy) over my iPad.

N5767Z - panel.JPG