No more complaints about a simple DP from me ever again

Oldguy

In a discussion about departure procedures, one CFII had a clearance he was sent by a former student. While those of us solely flying GA think we get some interesting routing at times, this is what he received for his departure:

• LAXX1 departure SLI transition
  • SLI 148 degree radial to intercept V25
  • V25 to PACIF
  • V208 to join the LAX 118 degree radial
  • LAX 118 degree radial to CARDI
  • MZB 320 degree radial to MZB

This was only the departure procedure...

for a 92 nm flight from LA to San Diego in a CRJ.

I will never complain about my two or three step DP again.

58 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Childs play for my IFD540... :D

Not that difficult to program in other boxes either. The catch is getting it all down and (heaven forbid) looking at it for overall situational awareness. Looking at the clearance, while there are a bunch of radials mentioned, plotting it out in an EFB shows a series of VORs and named waypoints.

Yes, pretty easy in a GTN 750 as well but would like to have that delivered to me in a text format than getting it over the radio.  I have looked at the new ForeFlight Moblie PDCs and D-ATIS but I will make that jump when I can get them in ForeFlight instead of over text.  I do sometimes get: "Expected Route" email which is 90% of what I get over the radio.

25 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

I read, understood, programmed the box for some uneccesarily complex departure, got the first turn made and then cleared direct....

Agree.  9 times out of 10, when I contact Tower for T/O clearance they say something like, "Climb 3000, Rwy Heading" (or some turn) and then "Switch to departure".  Soon after that, depature (normally) asks me what my destination heading will be and either gives me one vector or "direct" ignoring the long DP.

I thought about PDCs also, but you can only do one departure per airport per day.  Also, it’s all or nothing.  So, for a simple clearance somewhere, you cannot elect to do it over the radio. Have to use PDCs for ALL Instrument operations.  Maybe if I were based at some crazy busy complex airspace, but I don’t get too much more than an occasional published DP.  

17 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

I thought about PDCs also, but you can only do one departure per airport per day.  Also, it’s all or nothing.  So, for a simple clearance somewhere, you cannot elect to do it over the radio. Have to use PDCs for ALL Instrument operations.  Maybe if I were based at some crazy busy complex airspace, but I don’t get too much more than an occasional published DP.  

I've never been given a published Departure. But someone in PA instructed me to go to the East Texas VOR [no identifier], then complained at how long I took looking for it with a flashlight on a paper chart so I could enter the identifier into the G430W . . . . Because I hadn't taxied out yet, I stayed polite to avoid the penalty box, but I certainly had unkind thoughts. Just one more of many, many confirmations that I'm glad I was raised in the South and live here again!

2 hours ago, Oldguy said:

In a discussion about departure procedures, one CFII had a clearance he was sent by a former student. While those of us solely flying GA think we get some interesting routing at times, this is what he received for his departure:

• V25 to PACIF

The key is to just make the first turn properly in the LA basin. After that in a fast GA aircraft they will through everything out the door, radar vector you for a short bit then give you a full reroute. So many training aircraft that they will need to vector you around. I always just request to climb higher or cancel IFR if I’m VMC. Nothing worse than following a 172.

16 minutes ago, Hank said:

I've never been given a published Departure. But someone in PA instructed me to go to the East Texas VOR [no identifier], then complained at how long I took looking for it with a flashlight on a paper chart so I could enter the identifier into the G430W . . . . Because I hadn't taxied out yet, I stayed polite to avoid the penalty box, but I certainly had unkind thoughts. Just one more of many, many confirmations that I'm glad I was raised in the South and live here again!

Yea, I was given a clearance out of naples to go to st pete, then outbound on a radial.  I don't fly in Florida much, so I was thinking, ... ok, where is st pete and what is the identifier?....  so, I asked for a vector until I could plug it in... they gave me a heading that I was already on...   then I realized I had already plugged in PIE as part of my amended clearance that fltplan go spit out on the ground as an airway way point.  It was my fault for not taking the time on the ground to review.... 

It happened to a friend, fellow MSer, who was cleared to "Covington" (CVG), which was already in his flight plan, but he didn't realize they were the same.  He told ATC he couldn't find it in his 480... he later chuckled about it...   

Since then, I have cataloged in my brain to search nearest waypoints and filter by VORs to get a quick list of them together with their names...  it's worth an exercise if you're flying along somewhere with not much to tinker with.. ;)   I think it's about 3 touches on Aera/GTN....   Haven't tried it on GNS, but I will..   

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Yes, pretty easy in a GTN 750 as well but would like to have that delivered to me in a text format than getting it over the radio.  I have looked at the new ForeFlight Moblie PDCs and D-ATIS but I will make that jump when I can get them in ForeFlight instead of over text.  I do sometimes get: "Expected Route" email which is 90% of what I get over the radio.

This is unrelated, but I read a trick to getting your expected route ahead of time.  If you file your route via Flight Service's website more than 60 minutes ahead of time, you should get an alert (or check back after a few minutes) that your route was changed.  Log in again, review the new route, and then submit it again.  Now the computer's routing is used as your routing request, so write it down.  When you call for your clearance, you'll get the "clearance as filed", and you have your routing written down.

On the other hand, the computer routing does not seem to add SID's and DP's, so it's possible the controller will give you a departure clearance via some SID, and then "as filed."

50 minutes ago, Hank said:

doesn't the 430 have a 'nearest' VOR page?  what is this 'paper' of which you speak?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oldguy said:

• V25 to PACIF

And as soon as you are airborne they will start vectoring you around and you won’t fly any of that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

doesn't the 430 have a 'nearest' VOR page?  what is this 'paper' of which you speak?

I can't remember the last time I had paper charts in the plane :D

Actually, I do remember. I went back to using Fltplan Go instead of Avare.  Although I prefer the latter, Avare does not have a way to view the VFR transition routes printed on the margins of the Los Angeles sectional.  That did cause me to carry the paper sectional around only for that reason.

For me, it is arrivals that catch me by surprise.   Last time was into KAFW when they gave me the Slug Seven.  It's when I'm glad I have an autopilot.   At least with a DP you can sit on the ground and figure it out.  --Of course I could have told them I didn't have the arrival.....

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

I can't remember the last time I had paper charts in the plane :D

I flew over the weekend and the sun was beaming right down on the iPad, which was off at the time. Wouldn't you know it, the damned thing overheated and wouldn't start when I needed it. I quickly put it up against the air vent by my leg for two minutes and then it started.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I flew over the weekend and the sun was beaming right down on the iPad, which was off at the time. Wouldn't you know it, the damned thing overheated and wouldn't start when I needed it. I quickly put it up against the air vent by my leg for two minutes and then it started.

I'm an anti-Apple guy.  My cheapo android tablet works fine in direct sunlight, and the battery last 7 hours :P

• Like 1

I got a clearance that consisted of a half dozen waypoints identified by their lat /long coordinates down .01 seconds It took the tower 5 minutes to read me the clearance.Than he asks for a read back and state when I was ready to go!After the first set of 20 numbers I didn’t even bother to keep writing the clearance down.I told him ,never mind ,I’ll file in the air and depart Vfr.

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

I'm an anti-Apple guy.  My cheapo android tablet works fine in direct sunlight, and the battery last 7 hours :P

Me too, never had my Samsung tablet overheat, even in the summer in CA/UT/AZ in direct sunlight.

To the OP I would have no idea how to do that in my GTN650.....much easier when I had to do those exact clearances in corporate jets just using VORs and headings...I know the LA basin well and received those types of instructions all the time.  I still sometimes get those in 767's going from ONT to SNA or other local places.  

Even though I am only 48 and love to fly and spent the money on the GTN I have no desire how to learn to do that sort of programing.  I hit the wall.

Don't even ask me how ADS works.....don't know and don't really care....But I am compliant...