Retractable step

On 1/26/2019 at 7:25 PM, Planegary said:

Ordered fri morning and kit is scheduled to arrive mon Will give a report as soon as it is installed.The plane is apart for annual so should be a clean install

Well, did it get installed?!

18 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

Mine is installed and works great. Wish it were a little faster retracting, but I'm glad to have the step out of the slipstream. 

I'll probably need more right rudder now. :lol:

See if Rob can build a servo driven rudder trim system...  That would be great!  The MooneyMiser had an add on mechanical rudder trim system...

Most Mooneys have the rudder trimmed pretty well in cruise flight.

Having electric rudder trim is really nice for long climbs and descents... better than flying sideways...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

See if Rob can build a servo driven rudder trim system...  That would be great!  The MooneyMiser had an add on mechanical rudder trim system...

Most Mooneys have the rudder trimmed pretty well in cruise flight.

Having electric rudder trim is really nice for long climbs and descents... better than flying sideways...

Best regards,

-a-

Would love to have a 182-style rudder trim on my Mooney...

The install is finished and only one minor change had to be made and that was to the attach point to the step for the cable.Overall mechanic was pleased with the mod and a local maintenance shop came down to look at it in case he ran into that problem so I gave him the info to get one in case he runs across this issue. 

• Like 1

The mod my mechanic had to make was only a small bracket where the cable attaches to the step.My plane was nothing like the picture so it might have been modified by a mechanic in the past somewhere.Making the bracket took only about 5 min so overall a nonevent.Would recommend it to anybody with this problem

• Like 1

Hi,

I had some questions regarding motor  and EMI affects that might be related with electric motor  operation   near by magnetometer for  my Garmin  G5 HSI.

What Activates extension and retraction  of the step ? is this by pilot's intervention ? switch? is automatic ? 

If so if the step is retracted is there any current flow to the motor ? 

The reason I ask is that when I installed  the GMU-11 (Magnetometer ) in the rear  on the right side towards the step opening it  failed GMU-11 placement pre-test but moved the Magnometer to left side it was ok.

thanks,

James '67C

1 hour ago, jamesm said:

Hi,

I had some questions regarding motor  and EMI affects that might be related with electric motor  operation   near by magnetometer for  my Garmin  G5 HSI.

What Activates extension and retraction  of the step ? is this by pilot's intervention ? switch? is automatic ? 

If so if the step is retracted is there any current flow to the motor ? 

The reason I ask is that when I installed  the GMU-11 (Magnetometer ) in the rear  on the right side towards the step opening it  failed GMU-11 placement pre-test but moved the Magnometer to left side it was ok.

thanks,

James '67C

Hi James,

If installed per the install manual, the step retracts when the beacon is on.  Once retracted, the step motor shuts off with an internal limit switch. At this point, the retraction relay remains latched, but only uses about 8mA in that state.  This is far less than the beacon, which is simultaneously powered....and is likely already accounted for in your installation.  Normal operating draw during retraction is only about 200mA.  It is a relatively small motor.  My general rule of thumb would be to give a couple of feet between any magnetometer type of device and any motor, relay or magnetic device.  Let me know if your GMU-11 would be closer and we can figure things out.  It is very possible that the steel components of your existing step are magnetized. Our Testing of the Auto-Lean actuators (similar motor) shows no effect on the compass even when less than 2 feet away.  Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.  Pictures of your arrangement help too. Happy to talk on the phone as well.

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I guess don't understand the relation to the beacon and and the  operation of the step ? is that because they share the same switch or ??? 

So is there limit switches when the  step is retracted  so the motor isn't continually  running ?

So if I understand you correctly there is approximately  8ma to hold the step in the retracted/UP state ?

What is weight difference vacuum step and the  electric linear motor (or whatever type motor you are using) ?

Thanks,

James '67C

Edited by jamesm

12 minutes ago, jamesm said:

Hi Rob,

I guess don't understand the relation to the beacon and and the  operation of the step ? is that because they share the same switch or ??? 

So is there limit switches when the  step is retracted  so the motor isn't continually  running ?

So if I understand you correctly there is approximately  8ma to hold the step in the retracted/UP state ?

What is weight difference vacuum step and the  electric linear motor (or whatever type motor you are using) ?

Thanks,

James '67C

It uses the same switch and wiring as the beacon for convenience.  The logic was that the beacon is always on when you are intending to fly.  You can install a separate switch if desired.  The limit switch opens the circuit to the motor in the up and down position.  The relay is a simple logic switch using the beacon power.  When the relay is relaxed, it essentially routes power to extend the step.  Because it is a linear actuator, with a jack screw, it does not require power to hold it in position.  I don’t have exact weights for the vacuum replacement, but it should be lighter. In my crank installation I saved somewhere between 1/2 lb and 1 lb.  Perhaps one of the folks who have replaced the vacuum parts have a pile of parts they would weigh?  Our design goals were light weight, easy installation and affordable.  It was quite a challenge, as most actuators are quite heavy.  Hope that helps.  Rob