2019 TX Mooney Formation Flying Clinic: April 5th to 7th

bucko

The 6th Annual Mooney Caravan Formation Flying Clinic is back at KHYI (San Marcos, TX)  on Friday, April 5th, to Sunday, April 7th.

Weather Back up Date (if required):  TBD

FBO:       Redbird Skyport at KHYI: (512) 878-6670

8 Corby Lane
               San Antonio, TX  78218
               (210) 887-0144
               bucko.strehlow@gmail.com

Purpose:  Train pilots to safely perform formation flying using classroom briefings and actual aircraft in actual conditions.  The clinics provide a professional learning format, with pre and post flight briefings, along with skilled observer pilots helping to conduct the clinic and riding in the training aircraft.

The Mooney Caravan organization is dedicated to facilitating a safe and enjoyable formation mass arrival flight into AirVenture Oshkosh each year, as well as developing opportunities (such as these clinics) throughout the year to get together and fly our fantastic airplanes. Our participants share a strong sense of camaraderie and the friendship’s born via our common interests in aviation and Mooney aircraft, spanning the continent and the entire year between Oshkosh Caravan flights. The enjoyment and enthusiasm which we all experience at AirVenture doesn’t wear off; we keep it going throughout the year! 

Why you should do it (Check all that may apply): 

1.  Because IT WILL BE A LOT OF FUN !!!
     2.  To learn new skills and make yourself a better pilot.
     3.  To be able to fly into Oshkosh in an organized group (with the Mooney Caravan), and with more safely than using the FISK arrival. (Note: this is totally optional.  A lot of you may not even be going to KOSH this year, but this will hopefully plant the seed and you can join us in the future.)
     4.  We are tentatively planning to have a Check Pilot available, for qualified candidates to get their WING or LEAD cards. 

Sign Up Deadline:  Sunday, March 17, 2019, which is several weeks before the actual clinic.  This is to allow us to get enough Observer/ Safety Pilots for the course.  These pilots may be coming from California, Arizona, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, and beyond, so we need time to organize how many are required.  Also, please note that attendance may be limited, so it is best to SIGN UP EARLY.  Also, if Safety pilots are limited, some preference may be given to pilots planning to fly in this year's Caravan.

Cost:  $ 130.00.   Sign up at: https://goo.gl/forms/EGzLzfzVVgb1azD42
            Bring cash or check to the clinic when you get there.

Hotel:  TBD

Transportation:  You fly there and we will get you back and forth on the ground.  Anyone getting a rental or having a personal car available would be appreciated and pressed into service.

Schedule:  Clinic starts at 0800 on Friday, April 5th, 2019.  

Meals:  Lunches at the FBO will be provided as a part of the base Registration Fee.

Dinners on Friday and Saturday will be catered events at the FBO and tickets will be available for purchase. One night will be BBQ and the other will be Mexican/ TexMex.

Homework:  Download and read the "Mooney Caravan Formation Guide" prior to attending the clinic. It can be downloaded from the mooneycaravan.com website from a link in the "Training" section, or the FFI Formation Guide, including the Mooney Supplement, both found on their website: www.ffi.aero.

Newbies:  Watch the Video of the ground training (filmed at an earlier San Marcos/ KHYI Clinic) also in the training section of the Caravan website.

I know: there is a lot of information there.  The important items will be reviewed at the Basic Formation Ground School on Friday morning, but you need to have read the Guide(s) so that the information presented at the briefing will be somewhat familiar to you. 

For non Mooney pilots, or anyone interested in working on their FAST card ratings, download and read the "Red Star Training Guide" from the website: www.flyredstar.org

Note: If you have not read a Guide (Mooney, FFI, or Red Star) prior to coming to the clinic, you may not fly in the clinic.

So, sign up by clicking:   https://goo.gl/forms/rB8BqN2Y7inrjyA43

Also include your ratings (SEL, IFR, Comm'l, etc), approximate flying hours, Mooney (or other aircraft) Model, home base, and whether you'll be flying with the Caravan into KOSH this year or in the future.

I have been going to go to Oshkosh for many years,  but was always landing at satellite airfields because I did not enjoy the VFR/ FISK arrival.  Having done multiple Formation Flying Clinics in OK, MO, Yuma, AZ,  El Paso, TX, Kerrville, TX,  San Marcos, TX, I have now flown with the Mooney Caravan and arrived in style and safety at KOSH  for the past five (5) years.

Warning:  This type of flying is both fun and very addicting:  I have flown over 100 formation hours every year for the past 3 years as part of multiple elements (2 ships, 3 ships,  4 ship, and more).  Texas has a lot of people participating in this activity and many opportunities abound to fly together.

Tailwinds and High Speed;

Bucko
M20-E

•  
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All;

Sign up deadline for the Mooney Formation Flying Clinic (April 5th to 7th, 2019) is quickly approaching:  Sunday, March 17th. 

Please don't wait until the last minute get registered, or worse, miss the date.

Hotel Link:      http://group.homewood-suites.com/MFFClinic

Question?  Contact me.

Bucko (Sandman) Strehlow

Cell:  (210) 887-0144

bucko.strehlow@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

I haven't heard anything from Bucko this week about the formation flying clinic this weekend, and it looks like the weather is going to be good, so I assume it is a go.

I'm planning on going down Thursday afternoon. Anyone else going Thursday. We might share a ride to the hotel, have dinner or whatever.

17 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I haven't heard anything from Bucko this week about the formation flying clinic this weekend, and it looks like the weather is going to be good, so I assume it is a go.

I'm planning on going down Thursday afternoon. Anyone else going Thursday. We might share a ride to the hotel, have dinner or whatever.

Yes, it's a go. I'll see you early Friday morning at KHYI.

10 hours ago, Geoff said:

I’m headed down Thursday after work. ETA HYI approximately 8 pm. I would be interested in dinner and a ride share to the hotel. 

Geoff,

Sounds good. I will plan on going down a little later, but will await your arrival about 8.

My phone is 214 207-6744