Gear Switch Replacement

So the handle for my gear switch is broken and looks like this and I Bought a replacement. I have no idea if the switch is correct, but I just want to swap the handle.  Is it possible to do without removing the whole panel?  Anyone have experience with this?

20190120_065712.jpg

20190120_065719.jpg

The broken part looks like threads...?

Verify that you can Turn the handle counter-clockwise and unscrew it...

It may have some thread locking glue on it...

It is pretty clear from your panel pic, the wheel has to come off... to mount or un-mount the switch.  There is a cotter pin there to really make things interesting...

How much for another one if this one breaks?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

[mention=6921]Hank[/mention] see the top pic?
Right in the slot next to the broken/missing piece...
Best regards,
-a-

Anthony - that isn’t a cotter pin. It’s the remnants of the hole that a set pin was in. When the threaded part broke, it tore the shaft where the set pin resides.

If you look at the second picture, you can just make out the set pin by the nut on the threaded shaft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

28 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Anthony - that isn’t a cotter pin. It’s the remnants of the hole that a set pin was in. When the threaded part broke, it tore the shaft where the set pin resides.

If you look at the second picture, you can just make out the set pin by the nut on the threaded shaft.

Your set pin is beneath the wide flat ring in the panel in Photo 1. What Anthony calls a cotter pin is inside the white plastic "wheel" in Photo 2. Check location of the pull-to-move dimples to confirm that you are talking about a different thing than Anthony.

Your set pin is beneath the wide flat ring in the panel in Photo 1. What Anthony calls a cotter pin is inside the white plastic "wheel" in Photo 2. Check location of the pull-to-move dimples to confirm that you are talking about a different thing than Anthony.

That’s not what he said in post 6. He was referring to photo 1, the broken one. I don’t see a cotter pin on the white wheel in photo 2.

This is what I am calling the set pin.

1b390e150dcdb38e489efa2491632cdd.jpg

Which lines up where the other one is broken. Roughly 4 threads up from the base.

e36097bd882c22c5705ed9d89bf891fe.jpg

I have a spare gear switch at my hangar. Will look at it tomorrow and report back.

So the handle for my gear switch is broken and looks like this and I Bought a replacement. I have no idea if the switch is correct, but I just want to swap the handle.  Is it possible to do without removing the whole panel?  Anyone have experience with this?

20190120_065712.thumb.jpg.319ecb7c75ef89a5e0b53a44e7ac2b09.jpg
20190120_065719.thumb.jpg.3339d12a928a9617d87f4c759faa94a8.jpg

And yeah, I have experience doing this. It was part of the troubleshooting we did years ago when the breaker would pop. Bought a brand new switch and installed it. Kept the old one as a spare when the new one didn’t fix the issue.

There are a ton of wires to that switch and I think it would be best not to try to disassemble it. I would get a good look at the back of your switch first to make sure your replacement matches. On my F the gear switch sits high in the panel and access to it can be from above after the glareshield is removed.

@Marauder, I agree with the set pin, but you're looking at different parts of the mechanism in the photos.  

20190121_050434.jpg.f5107aae7dad333ae9916d4a0314d2d3.jpg

20190121_050215.jpg.edebb82fa13cbbaf65f0856b14e43ec2.jpg

It looks like the broken threaded section was split to allow the cotter pin to pass through, and now one side has broken off at the base. Will pulling the cotter allow the outer shaft with the bump to unscrew from the center shaft so the the replacement can be put in? That's what I can't tell.