Most "Graceful" way to get in and out of a Mooney

Nstarbf

Guess we need to do some body cam footage.    I have taken to facing inward, fall to knees. spin legs to around the front and start them into the pilot footwell.   Then scoot butt over to seat.   Exit.  Dog crawl to wing, then stand up.   I think it is worse for passengers getting out, they can only roll out onto the wing.

Getting in I step in backwards and drop on my butt holding onto the door frame. I’m tall enough I fall right into the pilot seat. Getting out I put my right knee in the copilot seat left foot on the floor pull and pull myself up with the door frame then step out my right foot.

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

All I can tell you is if you have human sized legs, the Bonalization technique doesn’t work.

Here is a thread showing the Bonal technique and my retort to his technique. Posts 52 and 56.

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/19850-oh-man-are-we-going-to-fit/?page=3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Still do it this way, I'm 5 10 and just over 200 it really makes it so easy. 32 inch inseam so pretty normal. This is much more subjective than Lop vs Rop or what is best flap setting to use for landing. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bonal said:

Still do it this way, I'm 5 10 and just over 200 it really makes it so easy. 32 inch inseam so pretty normal. This is much more subjective than Lop vs Rop or what is best flap setting to use for landing. 

Takeoff flaps for takeoff, full flaps for landing, ROP climb, LOP cruise, and roll into the captains chair. That’s just how the cool cats roll.

• Haha 2

To get in the front seat (either one) I step in with my RIGHT foot on the floor in front of the passenger seat (while I'm still outside the plane).  I then use my LEFT hand to grab the steel tube the passes up through the glareshield.  I then pick my LEFT foot up, swing it in and pivot onto the desired seat.  If I'm headed for the left seat then I simply swing both legs to the left and into the wheelwell.  This is quite a bit easier if you have both, or at least the right seat, all the way back.

To exit, with my LEFT hand I grab the steel tube.  With my RIGHT hand I push down on the seat to lift my arrrs off the seat and rotate onto my knees on the passenger seat.  I then step out onto the wing with my left foot and finally stand up outside the plane while I use the airframe for balance.

Put your right knee on the copilot seat.   Then swing your left foot out on the wing as you hold the copilot seat head rest with your right hand.  Then you are in a kneeling position with one leg forward, emerging like a prince.  From that position with one foot on the wing, you swing your other foot, the right foot bring your leg from weight on the right knee to now place your right foot also on the wing and you have your right hand to push up and you emerge standing.  Its quite simple and an elegant way to emerge from your fine machine.

This!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

assuming the seats were left all the way back last flight, do the Hokey Pokey:  Put your right foot in, keep your left foot out, stoop and grab the windshield frame handle with your right hand, then left foot in, grab black bar and sit in passenger seat in one smooth elegant movement.  To slide over, move your feet then hoist over using the same handholds.  Exit in reverse.  If teaching a passenger it helps to sing the song.

I think the correct answer is it doesn't matter it's awkward. Nobody is watching the people getting in and out, they are too busy drooling and day dreaming of why it's not them getting out of a MOONEY! Getting out of anything less just isn't cool.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just get in, left foot first, ending up in the left seat.

To get out, start by moving your right foot into the passenger seat. Scoot over, step onto wing with right foot first and stand up as you come out the door.

Getting in and out of the right seat is more difficult . . . Try it some time, you'll feel better about getting in and out of the left seat!  :lol:

Edited by Hank

10 minutes ago, Hank said:

Getting in and out of the right seat is more difficult . . . Try it some time, you'll feel better about getting in and out of the left seat!  :lol:

+1.  From the pilot's seat, you can build more momentum to fling yourself out the door :unsure:  From the co-pilot's seat requires more arm strength.

From the pilot's seat, I swing my legs over so the right foot is on the wing walk, the left foot in the co-pilot's floor.  I grab the door frame strap with one or both hands and then pull myself standing in one motion.  It's not as strenuous as it sounds, from the pilot's seat you're pulling yourself forwards rather than straight up.  From the co-pilot's side, I put my feet in the same places, but now the pull on the strap is a little more challenging.

I've had my right knee totally replaced due to an accident in 2013.  I cannot kneel on it, so getting on my knee isn't happening.

Entry: I use the "down elevator" approach. With the co-pilot seat fully aft, I put both feet inside the aircraft, and slide my back down the aft portion of the door frame until sitting in co-pilot seat, then I shift to pilot's seat.  

Exit: With co-pilot seat fully aft, I put right foot on floor in front of co-pilot's seat, then simultaneously lean towards the door and stand up.  I find getting up out of the co-pilot's seat much harder because I have to do the "up elevator" vertical rise from a sitting position, using the aft door frame for stability.

My advice: don't do anything that will cause you to need a total knee replacement.

• Like 1

A Cardinal on the ramp in Smithville as I pulled my Mooney out. The Cardinal driver said he likes Mooneys but they're just so awkward to get in and out of. He showed me how easy it is to open the huge barn door on the left side of the Cardinal and just slide right in.

I said, "yep, I agree, the Cardinal is certainly superior to the Mooney... any time the wheels are on the ground." 

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

Getting in my Mooney and graceful have little to do with each other.  Then again, I've been described as many things, graceful was never one of them.

One good thing about having a pet parrot is they live about as long as we do.  I think they cost about the same as a purebred dog too.  Of course, they can't look at you with those big eyes...

Had I a parrot I think I'd name is Lockheed, or Tupalev, or Grumman...

Edited by steingar
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

A Cardinal on the ramp in Smithville as I pulled my Mooney out. The Cardinal driver said he likes Mooneys but they're just so awkward to get in and out of. He showed me how easy it is to open the huge barn door on the left side of the Cardinal and just slide right in.

I said, "yep, I agree, the Cardinal is certainly superior to the Mooney... any time the wheels are on the ground." 

That poor thing needs paint really bad.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:19 AM, Nstarbf said:

Hello,

I just purchased my first plane and first Mooney.  I'm used to crawling in and out of Cessna's.  What is the most "graceful" way to get in and out of a Mooney???

Thanks,

Existence of this thread and multiple angers show there's no easy way to get in and out. ;)