Most "Graceful" way to get in and out of a Mooney

Nstarbf

15 minutes ago, Nstarbf said:

Hello,

I just purchased my first plane and first Mooney.  I'm used to crawling in and out of Cessna's.  What is the most "graceful" way to get in and out of a Mooney???

Thanks,

Put your right knee on the copilot seat.   Then swing your left foot out on the wing as you hold the copilot seat head rest with your right hand.  Then you are in a kneeling position with one leg forward, emerging like a prince.  From that position with one foot on the wing, you swing your other foot, the right foot bring your leg from weight on the right knee to now place your right foot also on the wing and you have your right hand to push up and you emerge standing.  Its quite simple and an elegant way to emerge from your fine machine.

• Like 2

All I can tell you is if you have human sized legs, the Bonalization technique doesn’t work.

Here is a thread showing the Bonal technique and my retort to his technique. Posts 52 and 56.

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/19850-oh-man-are-we-going-to-fit/?page=3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Make sure headset and miscellaneous cords are up over controls so you don’t get tangled up in these while exiting and entering. Door all the way open facing forwards your left foot steps all the way into left side of cockpit then lower oneself down and slide in pulling your other leg into position. I do it so often and I’m six foot tall. I have to make a you tube of the various ways to get in and out of this machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copilot seat should be all the way back.  Grab high on the center post with your left hand as you step in with your left foot and duck into the cabin. As you step in with your right foot and shimmy toward the pilot seat, swap hands on the center post and use your right arm to lower yourself in.  It's a bit easier to get to the pilot seat if you leave it all the way back, but I prefer to leave it locked in the position I use to operate the aircraft - less chance of it coming loose and sliding back I think.

Like learning to fly from a book...

Part of Transition training often includes various methods people use... including moving the front passenger seat forwards...

There will be a lot of ‘what’s the best method’ questions.

Use the search function to find them all...

At the moment you think you have a really goofy question... rest assured somebody probably has asked it already...

If you think I’m being mean... @201er showed me how to enter a Mooney in 2012...  :)  amazing what you can forget with a little time off...

Best regards,

-a-

I use the “roll” technique. Step in facing forward and spin around the copilot seat and plop into the captain’s chair.

2:18 shows the proper Mooney ingress procedure.

With passengers:

Edited by 201er
  • Like 3

I use the “roll” technique. Step in facing forward and spin around the copilot seat and plop into the captain’s chair.

The roll works. I typically roll out as well as in.

Nice of you to join us again. Where you been hiding? We are long over due for another Mooney Fly-in. Can we make the next one someplace warm like Aruba?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

Not a technique but I'll offer a couple of cautions: the door should not be used as a hand hold since you really don't want to stress the hinge. I smooth closing Mooney door is a beautiful, and relatively rare thing and hard to restore if it gets out of wack. And if you're a big guy have similar respect for the integrity of the c-pilot seat back. The structure is light weight aluminum and can be broken by a gorilla putting most of his weight on the head rest or the top of the seat back.

I'm 5'8", 190#, and 75 years old... I find it easiest to back in, putting my left foot on the floor in front of the right seat and my right knee on that seat. I lower myself onto the right seat and move my left foot into the left well. Egress is pretty much the reverse - spin to face the door, knee to the right seat and step out of the cabin left foot and duck head first. More supple folks can make it look easier. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Put your right knee on the copilot seat.   Then swing your left foot out on the wing as you hold the copilot seat head rest with your right hand.  Then you are in a kneeling position with one leg forward, emerging like a prince.  From that position with one foot on the wing, you swing your other foot, the right foot bring your leg from weight on the right knee to now place your right foot also on the wing and you have your right hand to push up and you emerge standing.  Its quite simple and an elegant way to emerge from your fine machine.

Best way to get out of the Mooney, but your passengers need to be taught this as well.  It means swinging their butt over towards the pilot as they pivot to put their right knee on their seat.  Some are less than keen on that idea.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

The only two things to support yourself getting in or out, are the center windshield post and the strap.

I don't have a strap over there but just grab the center post with my left hand and door frame with my right hand. 

I'm just glad I get to sit in the left seat, it is much easier to get in and out of than the right seat. 

• Like 1