Attitude Indicator Question

0TreeLemur

The attitude indicator in my a/c has an airplane silhouette rather than the more traditional dot and bars, which all the brand C and P's that I used to fly had.   The amorphous blob of an airplane makes it hard for me to interpret nose angle because I cannot see the horizon at the nose of the airplane!  See the photo.   Looking at eBay I see that AI's are plentiful and relatively inexpensive given the rush towards glass panels.

What do folks recommend?  I like the look of the Sigma Tek model 5000.   Anybody make strong recommendation for a different model?   Remember that in the past year I've redone the panel, sealed the tanks, and put on a new governor so I am presently in wife-audited CB mode, and I'm not talking circuit breaker or cumulonimbus.  Please recommendations to a 3-1/8" AI.

Thx.  Fred

AH_Mooney.jpg

I've got a good working sigmatek 5000 I just removed for a G5 upgrade.  Don't know the model number offhand.  I'll be at the hangar tomorrow and can get you better details.  Here's a pic. Seems they go for $6-700 on eBay.  I'll take $500 for it, shipped, if you're interested.

20180429_110527(1).jpg

8 hours ago, Andy95W said:

The cheapest option may be to call a few overhaul shops, email them a picture, and see if they'll change it for you.  A different model of the same AI might have the other style indicator.

@Andy95W gets full credit for reading the problem statement completely.  Thanks!  Your answer is the kind of thinking I was looking for.

8 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Don’t spend good $$ chasing 40’s technology - especially if you actually use the AI for IFR flying.  Do yourself a favor and put in a G5 even if you have to keep the vac for the dg (for now).

Yes, but.  This requires funds I don't presently have to spend.

8 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I've got a good working sigmatek 5000 I just removed for a G5 upgrade.  Don't know the model number offhand.  I'll be at the hangar tomorrow and can get you better details.  Here's a pic. Seems they go for $6-700 on eBay.  I'll take $500 for it, shipped, if you're interested.

20180429_110527(1).jpg

I love the way that instrument looks.   Sadly, my present budget limitations force me to consider lower cost options.  Thanks though- I'll keep it in mind.

4 hours ago, Fred_2O said:

Lagniappe.

Absolutely... You buy the instrument, at the price of an AI... and get the whole shebang with that... :)

Use caution... I sense some seedy under-current forming... Big G is not known for being so consumer friendly...

The first hit of glass panel being handed out for nearly freeeeeee........

After installing your second G500txi in the panel, you will point to the lonely G5, lying in wait, as THE back-up device...  :)

Use additional caution... it can be pretty easy to start down the slippery slope early... a second G5 makes a great HSI for a bargain price compared to a traditional HSI...

for a few dollars more they can be flush mounted...

Extra points for using an MS word of the day!   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

Getting a modern display on the AI will be helpful...

The old mechanical AI in the mid 60s has all the data presented... it is just ‘upside down’ from your standard presentation... the important detail is not the amorphous blob in the middle.

Bank angle by reading where the wing tip is...

Attitude by reading where the wing tips are...

If you have the old (loud) TnB indicator, be on the look out for an alternative for that device as well... they wear out without much indication of the wear... until bouncing around in turbulence... a problem for flying in IMC...

Things to consider along the way...:)

Best regards,

-a-

In your price range:  The RCA 2600-3 is becoming available used in the under $1000 range.  It is a solid-state non-tumbling backup option for your mechanical AI.  It has a very readable display.  I’d suggest if you have room in your panel you add a 2600-3 and retain your existing AI.  Two AI are better than one.  

RCA 2600

Here are two recent sales from eBay:

26BEE7B6-80B1-4C4A-9925-70FE6741FC1B.thumb.jpeg.3c34f88711ad9a2853792a91eaac3954.jpeg

• Like 1

In your price range:  The RCA 2600-3 is becoming available used in the under $1000 range.  It is a solid-state non-tumbling backup option for your mechanical AI.  It has a very readable display.  I’d suggest if you have room in your panel you add a 2600-3 and retain your existing AI.  Two AI are better than one.  
RCA 2600
26BEE7B6-80B1-4C4A-9925-70FE6741FC1B.thumb.jpeg.3c34f88711ad9a2853792a91eaac3954.jpeg

It sounds like his budget will force him to refurb what he has. BTW - how are the ESI-500s working out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

It sounds like his budget will force him to refurb what he has. BTW - how are the ESI-500s working out?

The first ESI500 I installed is doing great.  It’s well out of the OP’s price range, of course.  

I plan to install a second ESI500  to replace the copilot side “standard six” and save 20 pounds.  (I can’t use a G5 as that unit is not approved for pressurized airplanes.) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

RCA 2600

If you don't mind the loss of rate of turn you can put an Attitude Indicator in the TC spot per AC 91-75, with some power source restrictions and you need to put in a slip/skid indicator.