Spend my money for me - new panel dreaming

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Sticking that iPad over on the right side just isn’t working for me.

Yeah, so the iPad isn't for what you think it's for. And it probably won't be a mini. That's my magnificent wife's inflight entertainment system. It will end up being an iPad Pro on a flexible mount so she can watch movies in landscape orientation. This shows the "stowed for takeoff" configuration with an iPad mini so that it doesn't cover anything else up for illustration purposes.

This is my second time around with the wife thing, and I've learned in spades that if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy. And I really like her A LOT, so she gets her entertainment system in the airplane.

"Panel King".... yeah, not so much... 

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

Yeah, so the iPad isn't for what you think it's for. And it probably won't be a mini. That's my magnificent wife's inflight entertainment system. It will end up being an iPad Pro on a flexible mount so she can watch movies in landscape orientation. This shows the "stowed for takeoff" configuration with an iPad mini so that it doesn't cover anything else up for illustration purposes.
This is my second time around with the wife thing, and I've learned in spades that if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy. And I really like her A LOT, so she gets her entertainment system in the airplane.
"Panel King".... yeah, not so much... 
Cheers,
Rick

How about sticking a mygoflight removable mount on that right side? It will bring it closer to her and then you can either turn it to you as an additional screen or remove it completely.

af046cee9b0a101cf97f0536cf5f278c.jpg

7ab80047a4b857deb9f9bd537469a410.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Junkman said:

Thanks! That has moved into the "primary option" column.

Personally I'd go with a RAM ball mount, but then again maybe that's because I already own enough RAM parts to start a store. (And apparently the hangar fairy helping the A&P with the install of my new backup battery made the holes in the panel accidentally match the AMPS pattern for RAM balls.)

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

I ran across this old thread as I was cleaning out my list of "followed" items which had grown quite large. I've posted it elsewhere, but to close out this thread for posterity here is the end state of what I did with my panel. It's amazing what 5 years of technological changes, budget challenges, and just new or random thoughts can do to a plan. After 7 years of planning (we bought the airplane in 2016) I will say this is delayed gratification, thoroughly thought through and exactly what I want.

Except for the G5 backup :P

Cheers,
Rick

Image9-14-23at9_23AM.jpg.3b2310343046d883a7a1285fb964eb75.jpg

• Like 2

My airplane is in the avionics shop being done.

I went with 10" G3X Touch and remoting the transponder.   I put a dock for an AERA 760 on the right side, so have a totally independent unit.  But it talks with the stack.

I am looking at replacing the rockers with toggle switches.  And arranging them in a logical manner.  Starting type switches (master, alt, fuel pump, etc) to the left.  Used in flight to the right (lights, prop and pitot heat).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinecone said:

And arranging them in a logical manner.  Starting type switches (master, alt, fuel pump, etc) to the left.  Used in flight to the right (lights, prop and pitot heat).

I did the same thing only different ;)

Left: Electrical power switches (master, alternators, avionics master) along with the Electroair mag/start panel.

Right: Lights, fuel, and ice protection. The right three switches on the bottom right are taxi light (cleared for the approach), landing light (cleared to land), and boost pump (on for landing, positioned directly over the throttle), with pitot heat above the boost pump switch.

Making every switch be where it makes the most sense to you was one of the best things about designing the layout. My starting, landing and shutdown flows are extra easy for me now.

Good call on the toggle switches. I may regret not doing that at some point.

21 hours ago, Rick Junkin said:

I did the same thing only different ;)

Left: Electrical power switches (master, alternators, avionics master) along with the Electroair mag/start panel.

Right: Lights, fuel, and ice protection. The right three switches on the bottom right are taxi light (cleared for the approach), landing light (cleared to land), and boost pump (on for landing, positioned directly over the throttle), with pitot heat above the boost pump switch.

Making every switch be where it makes the most sense to you was one of the best things about designing the layout. My starting, landing and shutdown flows are extra easy for me now.

Good call on the toggle switches. I may regret not doing that at some point.

Luckily the owner of my avionics shop is a former USAF avionics guy (F-111s), so he immediately understood about grouping switches.   And even things like my beacon switch will be guarded, but to the ON position.  And all the light switches will be most used in flight to least used from right to left on the right side of the panel.

4 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

Luckily the owner of my avionics shop is a former USAF avionics guy (F-111s), so he immediately understood about grouping switches.

The next best thing to HOTAS. That's what I was going for. :D

Hi Rick, the PMA450 series are slide-in replacement to the GMA340 and GMA345. 

With two Bluetooth(R) modules, the USAF MultiTalker True Dimensional Sound, 15 USB charger, and a great user interface, it is worth considering.

I just had to take the liberty to show you what it would look like :)

Thank you

Mark Scheuer

PS Engineering

Rick Junkin PMA450.jpg

4 hours ago, Mscheuer said:

Hi Rick, the PMA450 series are slide-in replacement to the GMA340 and GMA345.

Hi Mark,

My panel plan went through copious changes over the years and the final design was completed and installed last September with the GMA345. While I agree the PMA450 has more capability and a better UI, the GMA345 has scratched my itch so far. Having said that, if I run up against a compelling requirement the 345 can’t handle I’m spring loaded to swap in a PMA450.

BTW, I won’t be able to make the banquet tomorrow, and haven’t made it to a meeting yet, but I’m a dues-paying member of Chapter 17. I’m sure we’ll run into each other some time soon.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1