Crossing the USA in a Mooney M20J

Rmag

Awesome trip! I enjoyed  listening to your dad! Love the video. Looks like you are the king of  gadgets! Beautiful airplane my friend!

Your rear window shades are neat. Are they linen or leather? Looks like they block a lot of light. Factory rails?

-Matt

@midlifeflyer it’s actually a GPS friction dash mount.  The raised part is filled with something heavy like sand and the bottom has a rubberized texture so it won’t slide around on takeoff, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B663TE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 hours ago, Rmag said:

@midlifeflyer it’s actually a GPS friction dash mount.  The raised part is filled with something heavy like sand and the bottom has a rubberized texture so it won’t slide around on takeoff, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B663TE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Funny, because the old wrist-rest mouse pad works just fine :D

I just added Part 2:  Eastbound to the original post

Thoroughly enjoyed watching you and your dad share this experience. Really nice flying as well. You looked a little emotional at the end and rightly so. Couldn’t quite make out what your dad said at the end though. Thanks for posting. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@MrRodgers I said, “Good Trip.”  He replied, “More than good, it will never be repeated.”  I think he meant it was a once in a lifetime adventure that could never be repeated.  Even if we did it again, this trip was the first time he was flown across the country by me.  In all my life, Dad was the one doing all the flying.  Definately was one of our life highlights for the both of us.  I think part of us were a bit sad that it was over.  I was happy that we got to share this time.  In our busy lives, A 7 day Trip with Dad doing something we both love is precious time invested.  Doesn’t happen often.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A 7 day Trip with Dad doing something we both love is precious time invested.  Doesn’t happen often.

I’d love to do that with my dad but at 85 his health precludes a trip like that. Perhaps if he can comfortably get up and into my Mooney a nice flight around Palm Springs

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rmag said:

I think part of us were a bit sad that it was over.  I was happy that we got to share this time.  In our busy lives, A 7 day Trip with Dad doing something we both love is precious time invested.  Doesn’t happen often.

Amen.

I enjoyed every minute of it. if you are ever down here close to ILM. Drop me a note. :)

20 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

Thoroughly enjoyed watching you and your dad share this experience. Really nice flying as well. You looked a little emotional at the end and rightly so. Couldn’t quite make out what your dad said at the end though. Thanks for posting. Great job!

Just remembered you were using the voice recognition with your G750.  I have that in my 67 F with my G650.  I love how it reduced your workload.  

Great videos and, more importantly, great memories for you and your Dad!

I was fortunate to get to fly a lot with my Dad. Besides the usual weekend flights, we took our plane to the 50th AirVenture at Oshkosh. The next year we flew to Dayton for the Centennial of Flight, visiting the Air Force Museum, Huffman’s Prairie, a Wright Bicycle Shop and other historical sites. 

Our last big trip together was to the Swift Fly-in in Creve Coeur, Mo. It was at an old time small airport with a museum on the field packed with vintage airplanes. We had a great time enjoying all the vintage airplanes. There were shorter day trips as well.

No matter how many trips we took or how many hundreds of hours we flew together, now that he is gone I sure wish we had done more. What I wouldn’t give to go flying with Dad just one more time...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

What an awesome crosswind in Bear lake . You were 200 miles from my house . That road from the airport made me homesick. I have been out of town working.  Love the second part as much as the first. 

Coming to the East coast In my own Mooney is on my bucket list for sure . My wife has Family in Maryland  , so I hope to do alot of traveling with her . Cant wait .

Thanks for the video .

Edited by Dan208

On 1/20/2019 at 11:53 AM, steingar said:

I am so utterly jealous. One of my very few regrets in life is not having done even a damn thing with Papa Steingar before the Alzheimer’s took him away. 

I was about to make this same post. Dad died a couple of years ago at 94 and I really regret never having him fly with me. As a matter of fact I just wish I had done more with him period now that he's gone. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 6:36 AM, Rmag said:

Which do you find you use the most? I can buy an 8, 16, or 32 individually for about $27. The one you use in the video looks pretty good. Really smooths it out. 

@BrianC I use an 8 for cloudy day conditions, a 16 for mixed conditions or morning, late afternoon sunlight, and a 32 for bright mid day sun.  An 8 can be used in all those conditions, just not as ideal for bright sun.  But if only buying one, get an 8.

Cheaper solutions also exist...  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F193DFQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rmag said:

@BrianC I use an 8 for cloudy day conditions, a 16 for mixed conditions or morning, late afternoon sunlight, and a 32 for bright mid day sun.  An 8 can be used in all those conditions, just not as ideal for bright sun.  But if only buying one, get an 8.

Cheaper solutions also exist...  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F193DFQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered. Thanks!