Crossing the USA in a Mooney M20J

Rmag

My Dad and I took off on a seven day adventure, 36 flight hours flying round trip across the USA, ocean to ocean.  

Just finished editing the Westbound part of the trip to the Pacific Ocean.

Part 1:  Westbound:

Part 2:  Eastbound:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Rmag said:

My Dad and I took off on a seven day adventure, 36 flight hours flying round trip across the USA, ocean to ocean.  

Just finished editing the WESTBOUND (YOU KNOW, THE DIRECTION THE SUN SETS) part of the trip to the Pacific Ocean.

Westbound to come later....

Wondered where you disappeared to. I heard you on your way down to New Jersey a week ago and gave you a call out. I'll watch the video when I have an hour 23 :) Did you get your IFR or is your Dad rated?

Edited by Marauder

Lol. Mistake....

7 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

Eastbound?  OK

Whoops... got hasty on my titling without thinking. Thanks for catching before this got more embarrassing.  Think a pilot would know which way he is going!

1 minute ago, Rmag said:

Lol. Mistake....

Whoops... got hasty on my titling without thinking. Thanks for catching before this got more embarrassing.  Think a pilot would know which way he is going!

Does this mean I need to delete my post so your directional challenge isn't known to the world?

Makes me think of one of the clips in this video...

Dad tells me to follow the “W” when pointing to my HSI...  which elicited the sarcastic response from me...

That would be “West”

Karma...

19 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Interesting device... states the length of runway...?

What initiated that, where did it come from?

Best regards,

-a-

ForeFlight on the iPad. I have it connected to the Garmin GMA 35c audio panel via Bluetooth. 

• Like 1

Really enjoyed it! How old is your dad? Actually the two of you made the trip an excellent tutorial. That north west trip through the Rockies looks challenging. Almost tried it last September myself but the wildfires and my inexperience told me to stay at home. Maybe next year.

Dad is 75 and has been flying 60 of them.  He’s flown through the mountains low level like this a couple times in a Carbon Cub.  It was my first time through.  One of the keys to doing this is to have a few routes planned so you can change dictated by weather. In fact during the video, we abandoned our initial planned route and went further north due to cloud levels.  Flying the valleys where roads, etc. exist in case you have a engine failure you can land.

I would not have done this trip solo.  This was something we have wanted to for a while.  We decided to do it before we regretted never doing it...

• Like 4

I am so utterly jealous. One of my very few regrets in life is not having done even a damn thing with Papa Steingar before the Alzheimer’s took him away. Those of you with kids take heed, there is no time. The Buddha was right about a great many things.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, steingar said:

I am so utterly jealous. One of my very few regrets in life is not having done even a damn thing with Papa Steingar before the Alzheimer’s took him away. Those of you with kids take heed, there is no time. The Buddha was right about a great many things.

So True.  I was fortunate and shared a lot of good times with my dad before he passed.  But man I miss him.  I have made 3 similar trips to the Pacific NW from MN since he has been gone.  All solo, always thinking "dad should be here, he would love this".

@Rmag Thanks for sharing!  I'm glad you guys made the time to do this trip.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1