new mooniac

Planegary

i everybody' I am the proud owner of a 1965 m20E and i just wanted to introduce myself.I purchased this plane up when the previous owner (a friend of mine) decided he needed to sell the plane since he had gotten sick and hadn't flown in 4 years.Fortunately he was an A&P and had secured the plane for its long sleep but he did lose the airframe and prop logbooks. I bought it and am in the process of getting it getting it annualed so im sure i will be here asking questions to learn more about mooneys in general. the plane has a brand new interioron a major and 3000TT, paint  is going to be donewahen i get it stripped so bring on any thought or ideas. Right now am thinking if a white top with a carribean blue/green bottom

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard! Have lots of fun, and let paint and interior wait until after all mechanical things are proven to be functional for a year of flying, and you have a chance to evaluate things in the panel and what you might want to change / replace / upgrade / add. We like spending other people's money here, so be prepared for lots of unsolicited panel advice!  :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on joining us crazy Mooney owners.  Now, don't spend a dime on upgrading anything until you have at least 100 hours in the plane.  Two reasons, if it has set for 4 years, you could be looking at some pretty hefty maintenance bills.  Plus, until you have a decent amount of time flying it, you won't know what upgrades are really important to you.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the greetings. Am based in m74 bald knob,Arkansas will post pics when I get it out of annual and plan on flying a bit as skydivrboy suggested I know it needs paint desperately and after a season of flying I am gonna start looking at upgrades to my magic carpet

i everybody' I am the proud owner of a 1965 m20E and i just wanted to introduce myself.I purchased this plane up when the previous owner (a friend of mine) decided he needed to sell the plane since he had gotten sick and hadn't flown in 4 years.Fortunately he was an A&P and had secured the plane for its long sleep but he did lose the airframe and prop logbooks. I bought it and am in the process of getting it getting it annualed so im sure i will be here asking questions to learn more about mooneys in general. the plane has a brand new interioron a major and 3000TT, paint  is going to be donewahen i get it stripped so bring on any thought or ideas. Right now am thinking if a white top with a carribean blue/green bottom

As was mentioned above, I would hold off doing anything major until you can verify all the bugs have been worked out. It is amazing how fast minor repairs can add up.

You didn’t say what kind of flying you are doing and that will dictate where your investments should be focused. I would concentrate on investments where it makes sense. I see a lot of pretty nice paint jobs and the panel came out of a 1940s Packard. As Tom mentioned, avionics can bring the most usefulness out of the plane. You’ll never see that new paint job from inside.

I’ve owned the same plane for 28 years and just now am working through the final steps of renovation (paint & glass). And as a caveat to all new owners, make sure this is a plane you plan keeping for a while. Any major investment will never return what you put into it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

No logs? Did I read that right? How do you know the aircraft times? Engine and prop times? AD status?  Sorry to be so picky, but boy that sounds like a mess.  I hope you can get that all recreated.

Despite all that welcome to Moonespace. I know, sounds comical, but a genuine sentiment nonetheless.

Well the logbooks for the engine were not lost so I could recreate the airframe times from the engine logs. my prop is being overhauled so will have fresh logbooks my mechanic has already completed the ad inspections along with the inspection part of the annual  the former owner may still find the logbooks and already promised to give them to me when /if he finds them. The plane will be used for personal travel and will be flown vfr  only for the first year. I plan on stripping he plane myself and when that is complete I have an acquaintance that will paint the plane for a reasonable price. With the plane already having brand new glass and interior it when I bought it the new paint should finish out the cosmetics. With the years flying it vfr under my belt I will look at avionics upgrades to meet my needs. Thanks for asking questions and bringing up considerations

• 4 weeks later...

To give everybody an update on the Mooney saga. The annual is complete and my mechanic said I had a real keeper of a plane.all AD’s have been confirmed that they are complied with and the only issues we found were

1) 2 rod ends replaced

2) bearing in the tail was replaced

3) all hydraulic hoses were replaced 

4) electric retractable step installed

5) all scat tubing was upgraded to red silicone

6) instrument panel isolators replaced

as soon as he finishes installing the intercom we will be ready to enjoy our new magic carpet and maybe getting to meet a few of you in person

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Planegary said:

A pic of my magic carpet. As you can seeing desperately need a a cleaning

0463104B-F54A-4234-A89F-5AEE6747CFD1.jpeg

You’ll like an E model, my second one was a similar scheme.

What’s the middle antenna on the roof?  Front and rear are Comm, does the panel still have an old Loran?

Clarence

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for the call today! I love it! Can’t wait to see it in six weeks.  It’s just what I’m looking for! I go back and forth between an E and an F. Found an F in Texas but it got sold. It’s usually just me and a friend or my wife so the E should do. It’s more of a sports car 2+2 to me where the F is a sedan! RVS to 45R (every couple of months) and OSH once a year is my furthest trips and I want something quicker than the 172 that’s still good on fuel. I’ll try to remember to bring my M20E “project notebook” with me with all my wants and notes I’ve gotten from reading this page. See you soon!