Considering purchasing a Mooney - transitioning from a C182

David Klasing

On 1/18/2019 at 10:06 PM, Shadrach said:

Why are you closing cowl flaps during GUMPS or prior to landing? Does your POH say to do that? Cowl flaps should be open at all time during ground ops. There is no utility in closing them in the pattern only to open them again after touchdown.

About five months of the year my cowl flaps stay closed, but this is the land of ice and snow :).

16 minutes ago, TTaylor said:

About five months of the year my cowl flaps stay closed, but this is the land of ice and snow :).

Tell me about it. It was a balmy 9° here on Monday morning with winds 22G31.;)  It was 7° yesterday but at least the wind had calmed. Today it hit 43° which almost softened the ice crust in my yard enough to make snow angles.:)  I open my CF a bit no matter how cold the OAT.  I believe the boys at APS when it comes to data and several of them have suggested that warming the engine with them closed is sub optimal.  YMMV.

5 hours ago, TTaylor said:

Even in the summertime, I close my cowl flaps on decent. I keep them closed until I am under control after flap retraction during a normal landing. During a go-around, they are on my list to open but I make sure I am positive rate climbing (and indicating) after I retract the gear before I worry about the cowl flaps.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:09 PM, Bryan said:

Even in the summertime, I close my cowl flaps on decent. I keep them closed until I am under control after flap retraction during a normal landing. During a go-around, they are on my list to open but I make sure I am positive rate climbing (and indicating) after I retract the gear before I worry about the cowl flaps.

I usually open my cowl flaps shortly before short final, on my last GUMPS flowcheck.  They generate some extra drag, which is nice, and in the event of a go around they'll be open already but won't have been open long enough for the engine to have cooled off.  Go arounds are higher workload in a 231 than other Mooneys.

Man this has turned from buying  Mooney to when to use cowl flaps.  Here's mine:

Wide open for takeoff.

At 100 KIAS, close to the trailing position.

At level off, throttle, RPM, mixture set then close the cowl flaps and they stay that way.

If I have to go around it's cowl flaps open, mixture rich, prop full forward, throttle forward.  Then it's back to just like a normal takeoff.

Leave them closed until I've landed.  During the rollout flaps up and cowl flaps open.

6 hours ago, steingar said:

Worse than the J-bar?

Probably.  The J-Bar you raise the gear and then it's raised.  None of the Lycoming fours have the delightful combination of full up trim on final, the obnoxiously designed electric flaps, and an engine that requires multiple adjustments to make full power that the 231 has.

Edited by johncuyle

My cowl flap procedure is even simpler than the gear.

Gear:  down at FAF or when glideslope is dot-and-a-half high; or VFR, on downwind, gear down abeam my intended point of landing. Grab the white knob, pull out gently, flip to Down position and check green light, then recheck floor indicator on short final.

Cowl flaps:  never touch 'em, they were fixed at the factory 

Trim is manual wheel below the seat.

Flaps is an electric push-and-hold while they move, which I can reach with a finger whike holding the throttle to Idle.

Simple! So are my hot starts . . . .  :lol:  :D   :P

You should not hesitate to make the transition to a Mooney.  Personally I, as well as several others consider this aircraft to be one of the safest around.  Based on the wing design you must respect the numbers in the POH.  My belief is, if you can fly an airplane at controlled airspeeds the Mooney will land just like your land that 182.  Obviously there is much more to manage in the Mooney and you need to learn to stay ahead of the aircraft but that comes with training and time in type.  I have heard so many people speak about the Mooney as a Hard to Fly airplane...that's nonsense.  As I suggest in the past, find an instructor that has a minimal of 100 hours in the Mooney.  Use them to get past the insurance company then find a seasoned Mooney pilot that will fly with you as often as possible.  There are several bits of information  you can learn from a mentor with a lot of Mooney time!  

Good Luck and Welcome.  You will find this site to be very helpful as there is a wealth of information on it by folks who are very fond of this aircraft!!

Rick

• Like 1