The Greatest Generation

There are fewer than 500,000 U.S. WWII veterans still with us.   Here is an article that is very touching about one of those veterans and how a German researcher sent him back some bits of his B-24 with a note.  This is one hell of an aviation-related read.  https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/military/sd-me-found-plane-20190114-story.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fred_2O said:

There are fewer than 500,000 U.S. WWII veterans still with us.   Here is an article that is very touching about one of those veterans and how a German researcher sent him back some bits of his B-24 with a note.  This is one hell of an aviation-related read.  https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/military/sd-me-found-plane-20190114-story.html

A beautiful story.

About 5 years ago at the local farmers market, I met a fellow who saw my Mooney hat and told me he was a pilot.  Turns out he was a 97 year old former B24 pilot who learned to fly during WWII and hadn't flown in anything, not even commercial, since WWII. This is a rural farming area and he was a farmer, and it is not so uncommon that people just don't leave the area much for anything.  So when I learned that I offered him a ride in my airplane and long story short we had a fantastic afternoon a few days later flying. And some memorable pictures.  I won't post them out of respect for his privacy, but let me say I have a fantastic shot of me and a very proud looking 97 year old WWII vet, who is standing tall and strong still at that time.  In fact except for his skin, you would guess he was 60 since he bounced around with no problem, and he was tall and lean, and sharp.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

That is a fantastic story Erik.   Given the thin aluminum skin between crew and hot lead and the extremely cold temperatures, I can easily imagine that WWII bomber missions could extinguish the love of flight pretty quickly.

Two of my uncles were WWII pilots and I was honored to take them both up different times in a rented Skyhawk back in the 1980's, which they probably thought was pretty quaint after flying B-24's over the hump loaded with gasoline and torpedo bombers off carriers. :mellow:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fred_2O said:

That is a fantastic story Erik.   Given the thin aluminum skin between crew and hot lead and the extremely cold temperatures, I can easily imagine that WWII bomber missions could extinguish the love of flight pretty quickly.

Two of my uncles were WWII pilots and I was honored to take them both up different times in a rented Skyhawk back in the 1980's, which they probably thought was pretty quaint after flying B-24's over the hump loaded with gasoline and torpedo bombers off carriers. :mellow:

I don't think his love of flying was extinguished.  It seemed more like he was a member of the greatest generation, who stepped forward when there was a need and literally went back to the plow when the war was over.  And finances were likely more the matter of why there was no more flying.  He has a real sparkle in his eye walking around and flying my airplane.  

• Like 1

my son and I were talking about how many WWII vets were still alive.  It's been almost 73 years since the end of the war.  That makes most vets at least 90.  It's amazing that there are still that many alive.  That made me google how many people were in the armed forces at that time.  Pretty incredible IMO since the country's population was less than half of today's.  

I took a WWII P47 pilot to ride in a rented Skyhawk about the time I bought the Mooney. It was his 90th birthday. The climb rate didn't impress him, but he still knew his way around the hills and hollers of central WV from above.

A friend asked if he was worried going flying with a new pilot. He said "if he can't land this thing, I can!"

We took lots of pictures. It is obvious which ones were after the flight by the huge grin on his face. I wanted to do it again but schedules, weather and his children's worries kept it from happening. Fun time, anyway. He was a remarkable man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

A beautiful story.

About 5 years ago at the local farmers market, I met a fellow who saw my Mooney hat and told me he was a pilot.  Turns out he was a 97 year old former B24 pilot who learned to fly during WWII and hadn't flown in anything, not even commercial, since WWII. This is a rural farming area and he was a farmer, and it is not so uncommon that people just don't leave the area much for anything.  So when I learned that I offered him a ride in my airplane and long story short we had a fantastic afternoon a few days later flying. And some memorable pictures.  I won't post them out of respect for his privacy, but let me say I have a fantastic shot of me and a very proud looking 97 year old WWII vet, who is standing tall and strong still at that time.  In fact except for his skin, you would guess he was 60 since he bounced around with no problem, and he was tall and lean, and sharp.

He was a mutant.

Seriously, he had a couple particular alleles that made him a centenarian.  They don't age like the rest of us.  

Damn muties. 

I was fortunate enough to be asked to be a founding pilot of Honor flight. There were 2 Mooneys on that first flight, my F and copilot Roy Ellis, and Jeff Uphoff's 231 copiloted by Scott Hureau, a former E owner. This was one of the most fantastic things I have ever done in aviation. 6 planes descended upon Manassas where we were greeted by a bus provided by the local American legion and we transported 12 vets to their newly opened WWII memorial. It was heart touching.

Today, the organization is well entrenched in commercial ops as the vets are almostly ambulatory

https://www.honorflight.org/about-honor-flight-networtk/

Thanks for asking me to do this Karl Ludolph, Earl Morse!

Mike Elliott

founding pilot, Honorflight

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steingar said:

He was a mutant.

Seriously, he had a couple particular alleles that made him a centenarian.  They don't age like the rest of us.  

Damn muties. 

A very fortunate mutant.  As I said, its not that he didn't look his age because of the extreme wrinklyness of his skin and just his appearance, but he stood tall and straight and moved with the kind of agility you are used to seeing in much younger people.  It was impressive which is why I mentioned it because it stuck out in my memory.  Perhaps an active life of farming?  Perhaps just good luck of good genetics.  I don't know.  But I wish good health on all of us!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

A very fortunate mutant.  As I said, its not that he didn't look his age because of the extreme wrinklyness of his skin and just his appearance, but he stood tall and straight and moved with the kind of agility you are used to seeing in much younger people.  It was impressive which is why I mentioned it because it stuck out in my memory.  Perhaps an active life of farming?  Perhaps just good luck of good genetics.  I don't know.  But I wish good health on all of us!

A friend of mine’s father was like that until he was about 103 years old. He passed at 104. Also a World War II vet, a Navy commander. The stories he used to tell were amazing. Still drove and volunteered at the Red Cross until he was 103. Never drank or smoked, and was a little wiry guy which I have noticed that most of the people who make it to that kind of age are, but I am convinced that there is a genetic component that is essential to living that long.

33 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Often when folks live to that age its genetics.  It more than that though, they usually don't look their age.  80 year olds look like 60 year olds and such.  I could go into lots more depth and detail, but this is an aviation forum so I'll try and be good.

21 minutes ago, steingar said:

Often when folks live to that age its genetics.

http://ufopilots.org/

My dad has been a member of this organization for about 8 years.  He told me a doctor ran a survey of the members a few years ago, and most responded.  (I suppose most are also retired with enough free time to complete a survey.)  The results?  The ONLY commonality, (considering life-styles, socioeconomics, heredity, location, etc.), was that they each have a few drinks before dinner.  So have a guilt-free dose of health food tonight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

http://ufopilots.org/

My dad has been a member of this organization for about 8 years.  He told me a doctor ran a survey of the members a few years ago, and most responded.  (I suppose most are also retired with enough free time to complete a survey.)  The results?  The ONLY commonality, (considering life-styles, socioeconomics, heredity, location, etc.), was that they each have a few drinks before dinner.  So have a guilt-free dose of health food tonight.

Becoming a UFO has been a goal for about the last 8 or 9 years, since I first heard of them. Great guys!

4 hours ago, Bravoman said:

A friend of mine’s father was like that until he was about 103 years old. He passed at 104. Also a World War II vet, a Navy commander. The stories he used to tell were amazing. Still drove and volunteered at the Red Cross until he was 103. Never drank or smoked, and was a little wiry guy which I have noticed that most of the people who make it to that kind of age are, but I am convinced that there is a genetic component that is essential to living that long.

But then I think of my Grandma Sonia.  She walked out of Russia with her family during WWI during the Russian revolution as a young teenager- which was a good time to leave Russia.  She lived to 101.  I swear she looked like a little 5'0'' sort of round lovely babushka grandma from the day I was born until she passed a few years ago when she was 101.  She never looked any different the entire time of my life.  I am 6'4'' and I was not too old by the time I was taller than her!

Edited by aviatoreb

11 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I don't think his love of flying was extinguished.  It seemed more like he was a member of the greatest generation, who stepped forward when there was a need and literally went back to the plow when the war was over.  And finances were likely more the matter of why there was no more flying.  He has a real sparkle in his eye walking around and flying my airplane.  

This post got me thinking about our current military breakdown/ demographic, as well as us population vs total military members by decade.  The link below talks about current demographics, for those that are interested.  Makes me wonder what is in store for future generations.    

https://www.cfr.org/article/demographics-us-military

• Like 2

My wife works at the FBO 1 day a week, she called me just befor christmas to tell me a gentleman was there looking to set up a ride for his 93 yard old father who was a pilot in WWII. She felt he would enjoy going up with a veteran so she called me instead of sending him to the flight school to book a flight. We were suppose to go up just after christmas but he got sick the night before and wasn’t able to go. We have not had the weather when I have been available to reschedule, hope we can do it soon. I understand he was very excited to have the opportunity, and disappointed that he had gotten sick. 

Brian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

But then I think of my Grandma Sonia.  She walked out of Russia with her family during WWI during the Russian revolution as a young teenager- which was a good time to leave Russia.  She lived to 101.  I swear she looked like a little 5'0'' sort of round lovely babushka grandma from the day I was born until she passed a few years ago when she was 101.  She never looked any different the entire time of my life.  I am 6'4'' and I was not too old by the time I was taller than her!

That’s funny, I too am half Russian, paternal grandparents came as young children before the revolution when the Czar still ruled. That grandfather served with the U.S. Army in World War I as a machine gunner and survived to come back to die in the great flu epidemic of 1917 -1918.

• Like 1

My dad is 97 yrs old. He recently bought a new car (an American car). I meet him and his buddies at McDonalds for breakfast about five days a week. I accompanied him on the Honor Flight about ten years ago, that was awesome and very, very touching. Around that same time I took him over to Paris where he had spent VE Day at war’s end. We then visited Normandy; another place that brings tears to your eyes for both sides of that battle. From there we went south to Nice where he had landed late in the war. He was and still is amazed at the changes in France since ww2. My father in law, who has been gone for about fifteen years, was also a wwII vet. He spent the entire war in a Japanese prison camp. He did the Bataan Death March and somehow survived. I’m,grateful he did as I was able to marry his future daughter and we now have An adult son and daughter. There is good reason those guys are considered The Greatest Generation!

• Like 6