Insurance up 20%

Chris from PA

2 minutes ago, marcusku said:

Mine went down but I'm probably not a good comparison since I started the year with 0 Mooney hours.

You are correct.  We can all quote premium changes and then add hours flown, increased hull values, new ratings, and other changes.  That doesn’t change the fact that after several years of flat premiums favoring Mooney owners, the overall market has increase premiums but around 10%.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:31 AM, FastTex said:

Am I the only one using STARR via AOPA? I still have a few months on mine but if you guys have done the homework and got a better deal maybe I should shop more around before my next renewal. I just got a card from BWI(?) and I was ready to toss it when I read this thread...

Did @FastTex ever get a quote from BWI?  I also got that card in the mail.

6 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I should know shortly. My insurance is up for renewal on March 1st. Been with Falcon for all 28 years of ownership with zero claims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll go out on a limb and predict a 17% rate increase. That seems to be the pattern for high time IR pilots who have enjoyed flat to lower rates for several years in a soft market.

3 hours ago, FastTex said:

If I remember correctly AOPA will match if I find a better deal.

I wouldn't count on that. I was with AOPA for years and years ago it seemed like it was getting the best quote. The last couple years I was with them not so much.

Even if they match a better deal, of what value is that? Shouldn't they have found you the better deal in the first place? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FastTex said:

No, I did not. I’m waiting for a few months then I will start shopping around. If I remember correctly AOPA will match if I find a better deal.

AOPA doesn't have the pen to guarantee a match.  They can request it from the carrier.  They may get it, they may not.  If they reach out to all the carriers and report all of the carriers then you'll have a full picture.

There are certain cases where I would recommend staying with your current carrier, and certain ones where it makes sense to move for price.

8 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I'll go out on a limb and predict a 17% rate increase. That seems to be the pattern for high time IR pilots who have enjoyed flat to lower rates for several years in a soft market.

My increase this year is $0. It is the same as it was for the past 2 years and $50 more than it was in 2016. Maybe they are using a different criteria to assess risks. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

AOPA doesn't have the pen to guarantee a match.  They can request it from the carrier.  They may get it, they may not.  If they reach out to all the carriers and report all of the carriers then you'll have a full picture.

There are certain cases where I would recommend staying with your current carrier, and certain ones where it makes sense to move for price.

100 hours in type that boosts an IFR pilot over 350 hours and over 100 hours in RG tend to mitigate/assist in preventing enormous increases after having a claim within first 25 hours of having the ac? Asking for a friend.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

My increase this year is $0. It is the same as it was for the past 2 years and $50 more than it was in 2016. Maybe they are using a different criteria to assess risks. 

Yeah, my agency tells me that different underwriters use different criteria. And they tend to go after different segments of the market. 

2 hours ago, bill98 said:

100 hours in type that boosts an IFR pilot over 350 hours and over 100 hours in RG tend to mitigate/assist in preventing enormous increases after having a claim within first 25 hours of having the ac? Asking for a friend.

"It depends".  But it should certainly help.  Especially if 2-3 years have elapsed since the loss...and once the loss is >5 years in the rearview mirror basically no company asks...

6 hours ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

"It depends".  But it should certainly help.  Especially if 2-3 years have elapsed since the loss...and once the loss is >5 years in the rearview mirror basically no company asks...

Hmmm

Event would have happened after July but before September Of 18. Many FAA wings credits completed after too. 

I got my renewal today from Global. It was up $130 from last year. It doesn’t have to be bound till March 15th. I have my IR check ride scheduled for February 28th. Hopefully it will open me up to Falcon or other insurance companies that will write a smooth million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[mention=12769]xcrmckenna[/mention]
Global will write a $1mm smooth for 1000 hrs min as of my shopping last year. ORA will for less hours like 750 or something.  

If that’s the case I still won’t have the hours. Maybe in a year or two though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk