Transitioning to Mooney

2 hours ago, Heloman said:

A few years ago I was a very new pilot and wanted a Mooney, I was set on a E,F,J but couldn't find one I liked when a nice C came up for sale close by. I ended up buying it, and I think in a lot of ways it's worked out for the best. Being among the least complex maintenance wise has eased the transition into ownership. My only fault with it is that I am in the minority that has no problem flying for 4,5+ hours nonstop if I need to get someplace, and it doesn't have the tanks for that. An F with 12 more gallons and the ability to fly lean of peak could provide around two more hours endurance.

I may could push for flying that long but I expect my flying partner would need a break before the 4 hour mark. I would like an F, but the higher acquisition cost would likely keep me out of that market. 

• Like 1

I may could push for flying that long but I expect my flying partner would need a break before the 4 hour mark. I would like an F, but the higher acquisition cost would likely keep me out of that market. 
At my fuel burn, my C model can do 5 hours on a full tank, (4 + 1 hr reserve). Longest XC I've flown so far is 2 hours up to KUKT. Really need to get my IFR cert so I can plan longer trips with less paranoia about cloud coverage.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ShuRugal said:

At my fuel burn, my C model can do 5 hours on a full tank, (4 + 1 hr reserve). Longest XC I've flown so far is 2 hours up to KUKT. Really need to get my IFR cert so I can plan longer trips with less paranoia about cloud coverage.

That is definitely a struggle.  The lack of an IFR  cert has definitely limited where I’ve been able/comfortable to go. What type of fuel burn are you seeing on a 1-2 XC? 

That is definitely a struggle.  The lack of an IFR  cert has definitely limited where I’ve been able/comfortable to go. What type of fuel burn are you seeing on a 1-2 XC? 
If I can get up to 9500 or 10500, I get anywhere between 8 and 9 gph at 65%, and that usually has me trued out at 140kts. Last time I went up to UKT, I burned exactly 15 gallons in 1.91 tach hours (2.0 wheels off to wheels on according to my EFB)

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:31 AM, SkyTrekker said:

I'm 6' and my wife is not skinny.  We fit in our E with our 16 year old son in the back and no one has ever complained about space or comfort.  I'm partial to Es, so take it with a grain of salt, but unless you are flying with all four seats filled, you can't beat an E for the price/performance/comfort ratio.

We bought ours a year and a half ago and I would do it all over again.

second this!

I'm another recent E owner, awesome plane.  Only thing which could make it better would be Long range tanks, okay also altitude hold 8).

9 hours ago, Heloman said:

A few years ago I was a very new pilot and wanted a Mooney, I was set on a E,F,J but couldn't find one I liked when a nice C came up for sale close by. I ended up buying it, and I think in a lot of ways it's worked out for the best. Being among the least complex maintenance wise has eased the transition into ownership. My only fault with it is that I am in the minority that has no problem flying for 4,5+ hours nonstop if I need to get someplace, and it doesn't have the tanks for that. An F with 12 more gallons and the ability to fly lean of peak could provide around two more hours endurance.

I've flown my C 4:45 twice, landing with 11-12 gallons left out of 52 total, good for another 1:15 -- 1:20. Make no mistake, the plane did fine, but my wife and I were ready to get out, stand up and walk around! I'm really not interested in the ability to go another hour or two.

Fly safe, and don't run out of fuel!

On 1/18/2019 at 1:03 PM, Huitt3106 said:

The F offers alot more than you would expect above a C.  Cost is really not that much more, and maintenance also is not much more.  I would rather have more HP and fuel injection, elimination of carb icing problems, and the ability to run lean of peak.  

Having said that, if a C is really in your budget, I would not look for a "newer C" since the old C models already have the manual gear "upgrade."  The Johnson bar, if rigged properly,  is quick, reliable, with no need to fuss with limit switches, worm gears and a back-up system.  It is its own back-up.  A manual gear plane, being older offers the same upgrade options, with less expenditure up front.  No matter what 50 year old plane you buy, you will probably want to do some modifications and updating.  You might as well save some money up front, get the manual gear, and have a lower maintenance cost airplane.  Whichever 50 year old plane you buy, the long range tanks provide safety and endurance.  Both are beneficial.

John Breda

• Like 1